Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

10 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Same again this week. Hopefully he's nearing beginning some level of training. Would be amazing to get him back this season 

I'm pretty sure that was always on the cards? Probably around February-March?

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm pretty sure that was always on the cards? Probably around February-March?

Think it will be a similar timescale to Diego Carlos from last season. He was back in the squad early March and then started to play from May.

Buendia being a forward player we'd probably see him sooner coming on as sub.

• Like 1

I'm tempering my excitement knowing that these kind of injuries and getting back to match fitness can be unpredictable.

I've written him down to zero for this season, anything more than a few sub appearances will be a huge bonus.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Will he play the Tielemans role or the one further forward as support striker?

It'll be interesting to see how we fit everyone in if they're all fit.

I think he'll play off Watkins. Can you imagine any player (other than maybe McGinn or Tielemans) who is a willing runner and presser? I think because last season we weren't a pressing team we set up mostly as a counter attacking side with a high line. We did have some counter pressing in the right situations. However this season, seeing how we play with Tielemans/McGinn having players as 10 off Watkins in games. I think that's perfect for Buendia especially as his has top level vision and through balls. He's also capable off LM to move into the second 10 role too. I just worry a bit about that side if we have Moreno, Pau behind. 

People need to remember though it takes another 9 months for players to recover match fitness after the 9 months off from an ACL injury, so need to be patient with Buendia. I do hope he makes a full recovery though and if he's back by Feb/Mar this season he can make an impact as he is renowned for his effectiveness off the bench. It's like he sits there and analyses the game and has read where space is or where he can have impact and then comes on fresh and has that impact.

• Like 2

It'll be quite a queue behind Watkins with Diaby, Bailey, Buendia, Zaniolo, Ramsey and even Traore all capable of filling that one slot.

I have a feeling that if I were to suggest to Unai Emery that fitting all of these talented players into a tactical system that keeps them all happy is impossible, he'd simply put his hand on my shoulder, smile contentedly, chuckle to himself and walk away.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think it will be a similar timescale to Diego Carlos from last season. He was back in the squad early March and then started to play from May.

Buendia being a forward player we'd probably see him sooner coming on as sub.

His injury happened around a month sooner iirc. Plus, as you say he's more likely to get time as an impact sub as a forward than a centre half who relies on his physicality. Not that Emi shirks his responsibility. 

With any luck we see him back in time to bolster the squad for the European knock out stages. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Will he play the Tielemans role or the one further forward as support striker?

It'll be interesting to see how we fit everyone in if they're all fit.

Basically imo he'd have started all the games Zaniolo has so far. Zaniolo takes up similar positions on the pitch that Buendia generally does.

I doubt we'd have signed Zaniolo if Buendia had remained fit. 

With regards this season he'll just be a sub upon return and perhaps play the final game or two as a starter if those are dead rubbers.

He would have been starting every game on the left of midfield with McGinn on the right with JJ out.. his huge defensive input and amazing pre season form would have had him starting most games in the Prem. Shame as if him and Bailey had both been on fire we would have been scoring even more. 

• Like 3

He will take time to recover and get back his sharpness etc... but he's in my starting 11 every week if a full recovery is made. 

Even if he has to change his game a bit and drop a bit deeper to orchestrate, he'd make a hell of a deep lying playmaker.

Time will tell, he's in the best hands possible for his rehabilitation and the roof will come off VP the day he is back gracing that pitch. 

Buendia is a massive loss and if he were to come back and we're still in the race for... well, let's not limit that... he really could be the difference. I genuinely think he was on the cusp of being the FIRST name on the teamsheet.

Gerrard didn't use him so he could play his mate Phil, we were an underperforming team all over the pitch with no identity or tactics. When Emery came in, he began to be integral to how we played. In preseason he was looking incredible. His stats in a poor Norwich team were outstanding, can you imagine what Unai would get out of him?! He suits our style perfectly; energetic, progressive, passionate, a team player and he never quits. He would create so many chances and be yet another option in an attacking sense.

Unai improves everyone, I imagine a once coveted by Arsenal Buendia would excel under this Villa... He could yet be our late season ace in the hole.

• Like 2

Regardless of whether he is a nailed on starter when he comes back, is kinda irrelevant to me tbh, mainly because whatever happens he will definitely be a very important part of the squad, he's a bit like McGinn in the sense that he can play more than one of the positions in Emery's system, so he will be an important player for us, whether that be as a nailed on starter, or as an important squad player.

Will be great to have him back.

To have Diaby, Bailey, McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia & Zaniolo competing for one of LM, RM or SS, will be great tbh (assuming Buendia might be back before the end of the season?)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

He will have to slow things down a little. Now we are playing with more control he will have to be more picky with his passes . But he will do. He will be attending the tactics meetings, watching training. He will be learning now about what he will hopefully be doing in 4 months or so. Buendia is totally in with this team. He loves the club. He will come back aged just turned 27 and ready to hit his peak in the coming 3 or 4 years. 

• Like 2

Â