Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

Two of my favorite midfielders of all time were Carlos Valderrama and Juan Riquelme. They were superb passers of the ball and very entertaining to watch. For their national teams, they excelled.

That said, they didn't quite succeed at the highest levels in Europe. Some (including Jonathan Wilson, if I remember correctly) have said that the traditional South American playmaker, the enganche, can still succeed in the South America club game, where the level isn't quite as high, and in internationals, where the defences aren't as well drilled because of the limited time together, but that they can't fit in the elite European club game, where the tactics tender to smother them.

Is this Buendia? Thrived in the second tier, which is probably closer to South American level, but not in the PL? I was one of his early defenders and I'm not ready to write him off yet. He was injured for part of the time under Deano and SG's tactics haven't exactly helped him (when he's been used at all). Furthermore, he seems to fit the modern "inverse winger" role, cutting in from the edge, better than the enganche/traditional #10 role. That said, I have to admit that a sliver of doubt has entered my mind, probably influenced by the example set by Valderrama and Riquelme.

5 minutes ago, TomC said:

Two of my favorite midfielders of all time were Carlos Valderrama and Juan Riquelme. They were superb passers of the ball and very entertaining to watch. For their national teams, they excelled.

That said, they didn't quite succeed at the highest levels in Europe. Some (including Jonathan Wilson, if I remember correctly) have said that the traditional South American playmaker, the enganche, can still succeed in the South America club game, where the level isn't quite as high, and in internationals, where the defences aren't as well drilled because of the limited time together, but that they can't fit in the elite European club game, where the tactics tender to smother them.

Is this Buendia? Thrived in the second tier, which is probably closer to South American level, but not in the PL? I was one of his early defenders and I'm not ready to write him off yet. He was injured for part of the time under Deano and SG's tactics haven't exactly helped him (when he's been used at all). Furthermore, he seems to fit the modern "inverse winger" role, cutting in from the edge, better than the enganche/traditional #10 role. That said, I have to admit that a sliver of doubt has entered my mind, probably influenced by the example set by Valderrama and Riquelme.

I agree that he's not a week in/week out player. Just really lacks that top end pace and physicality that you need in the PL.

But he has shown more than enough inventive and creativity to be played against weaker opponents and with the right system and players around him, he could really thrive and entertain the fans.

If there's one player that would benefit most from Gerrard leaving, it is probably Buendia. He may not work out here and some of the fans don't rate him, but I said earlier in the thread - will probably join the list of Villa players to succeed elsewhere once away from Villa Park.

Unpopular opinion I know but I just don’t think he’s good at this level, he was the same with norwich when they was in the prem, ripped it up in the championship but he’s one of them who’s too good for that level and not good enough for this one 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomC said:

Interesting discussion for sure but he has already thrived in the PL in his first season with Norwich. Third for chances created behind only Jack and KDB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

People make too many excuses for this guy. He's poor in nearly every match he starts. 

You think Coutinho is the best player at the club, yet he didn't put in half the performance that Emi did yesterday (and his performance wasn't even that great). He's been terrible for about 6 months now, but you don't seem to talk about that much.

• Like 1

Personally I find it very strange that so many write him off - if he had half the opportunities as Coutinho has, we would all be singing his praises. Anyone who has played the game, will know how difficult it can be knowing just how difficult it can be, knowing if the team don’t perform if most likely your neck on the chopping block.

Emi is easily our most gifted individual and some.

This said if Gerrard is here in Jan I’d be off like a shot tbh if I were him 

• Like 3

I was comparing his stats with us to his final pl season with norwich to see what has changed. For the most part, his stats haven't changed too much. What did stuck out to me however was how high his dribbling stats were with Norwich. He completed almost 3 times more dribbles per 90 with Norwich compared to with us and he did with a much higher dribbling success percentage to boot.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I was comparing his stats with us to his final pl season with norwich to see what has changed. For the most part, his stats haven't changed too much. What did stuck out to me however was how high his dribbling stats were with Norwich. He completed almost 3 times more dribbles per 90 with Norwich compared to with us and he did with a much higher dribbling success percentage to boot.

He does seem a yard slower, doesn't travel with the ball at pace as much as he did with Norwich. But is that more the way Villa are set up.

4 hours ago, TomC said:

These 2 set the tempo though for the games and Riquelme in particular had very little pace and work rate. Everybody favourite Premier League bucket manager wouldnt give Riquelme Argentina caps for that reason

Buendia is a different player than that for me, he isnt a player to control the tempo of the game but he has a tigerish work energy and can assist on both feet. No surprise that Buendia/Ings seem to look good compared to the rest when starting together yet it never seems to be used by us

• Like 1

22 hours ago, turvontour said:

He does seem a yard slower, doesn't travel with the ball at pace as much as he did with Norwich. But is that more the way Villa are set up.

It’s all about finding rhythm and the only way that will happen if he gets 4/5  starts back to back. The problem is he can find no momentum due to the manager not playing him often enough. That is it in a nutshell my opinion. You see glimpses of this when he is given his cameo every two or three games. The problem is not his the problem is the clubs manager

On 11/10/2022 at 18:23, TomC said:

Buendia isn’t really a #10, he played on the right of a 4231 for Norwich. So technically he’s being played out of position, in the limited game time he gets.

Plenty of smaller, diminutive players have excelled in recent years in the PL; David Silva, Mata, Sterling.

I’m looking forward to the bewildered comments on this thread when the new manager comes in and people realise that Buendia is not all that after all. I’ve seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest that he is a top player at PL level. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’m looking forward to the bewildered comments on this thread when the new manager comes in and people realise that Buendia is not all that after all. I’ve seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest that he is a top player at PL level. 

maybe just maybe if he started every week instead of intermittent starts because the managers mate who has been dreadful has to start

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I was going to say the opposite. If we get a good manager that plays attacking football, Buendia will be our most important player, I have no doubt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

maybe just maybe if he started every week instead of intermittent starts because the managers mate who has been dreadful has to start

Maybe but we haven’t seen it yet. His best form may only come after a run of consecutive games but he should still look like he has the key attributes. Ramsey, for example, has not been in good form for a while now but you can see that he has the tools to be a top player.I just can’t see it in Emi, despite really wanting him to be great. I think exactly the same is true of Bailey. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I was going to say the opposite. If we get a good manager that plays attacking football, Buendia will be our most important player, I have no doubt.

Well. One of us is going to be right! For the record, I really hope it’s you.

• Like 1

Â