Brad Young

lexicon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, useless said:

Future at AVFC is looking tough for him. He's a year older than someone we've just bought for £18m and he's struggled at League 2 and the Scottish Championship now.

I wish him all the best, was fantastic during that FA Youth Cup run. 

I wouldn't bet against him carving out a career in the football league, at all. Weimann had a great '21/'22 season in the Championship - and they're similar strikers, both industrious and can finish. 

• Like 2

Ayr fans seemed to think he was homesick.

I don't think he did too bad, two goals and two assists in eleven appearances, and wasn't playing in his natural position, I watched one of their games online, took him a while to get into the game as Ayr as a team started poorly, but as it went on he looked decent, didn't get much in the way of chances as was playing on the left, but showed good workrate, got stuck in, and drew a round of applause from the crowd on several occassions, the football in general didn't seem great, but he was making the most of it.

I'm not sure if he was ever expected to make it with us and will be incredibly difficult for him to do so, as is the case with most of the academy players, but he's still a good young player, I think he's definitley someone who can have a good career in the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing well at at least Champinship level at some point in the future, we've produced quite a number of Championship level players over the years, Hogg, Johnson, Robinson, Collins, Weimann, O'Hare, and so on, no reason why Young can't at least get to a similar level.

Whether we will be in a rush to let him go though I'm not sure, that might depend on what happens second half of this season, if we can find him another loan and he does well, then might be a case of keeping him and keep loaning him out in the hope that he gets better each time so we can eventually get some money for him, similar to what we're doing with Azaz.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2023 at 07:03, zab6359 said:

He’ll be released in the summer, best of luck to him.

I expect so. His work rate and good level of athleticism should see him forge a reasonable career in the game but he'll probably be League Two or League One or so, all ends up. 

Contract end summer, unless option to extend, surprise if we let go. Leicester might take him, similar profile to others they signed released from our academy.

Edited by useless

• 2 weeks later...

Second or Third choice striker as it stands.

Part of the last of the generation of youth players that we hung on to too long.

Assuming we don't sign anyone else, and we think Jhon needs more time to settle, it would be nice to see him get some game time through the end of the season before the inevitable sale. If we don't sign anyone else we almost certainly won't have a great deal to play for so giving some of the older youth team one last chance could be a good use of the last 18 games. Might uncover a surprise gem, or confirm the need to move them on. 

He only turned twenty earlier this month, that doesn't count as hanging onto a youth player too long, and he's definitely not second choice, Duran ahead of him.

I think some reading too much into Emery's comments on Duran, when he says he's not ready he doesn't mean he's not ready at all, just that he's not ready to come in as a starter straight away, he's still going to be part of the squad and get game time, Emery also said Duran can 'help us'.

Good chance that Young will go back out on loan for second half of the season, I think we will bring in another striker, whether permanent signing or someone on loan.

Â