Brad Young

lexicon

8 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Will be a quality signing on a free for a football league side. 

James Collins type career

In a few years he'll pop up as Shrewsbury or Northamptons main striker and be doing alright for himself

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has signed for The Cymru Premier outfit The New Saints of Oswestry Town & Llansantffraid Football Club, also known as The New Saints or TNS...

Scored on his debut against Hibernian U21s in the Scottish Challenge Cup

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

He’ll rip up the JD Cymru Premier. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with the rather physical style of defending (rather well by the way he has opened his time there, by the looks of it).  

Hopefully it’s a good time for Brad to move to the Welsh league. The league clubs have consulted on a set of proposals to improve the standard from training, sports science, nutrition, stadia, finding, etc. Can’t see how teams will close the massive gap between them and TNS, but hopefully the league should be a bit more interesting (with more money perhaps). Hope it’s a win win for everyone involved. 

Good luck to him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite efforts to improve the league, the standard in the JD Cymru Premier is poor. TNS average something like 3 and a half goals a match this season: same last season.

Keep in mind that Ryan Brobbel is equal top scorer for TNS with Young, a man who failed to make it in the English lower leagues. Hope Young has a higher ceiling. 

It's a really strange level to be playing at. Sure he hasn't ripped up trees on loans at some quite poor levels but it's a staggering drop at 20 years of age,  he needs a league two club to give him a permanent deal and thus incentive to develop and play him.

Always like this kid, bit about him, sharp bullish and decent finisher. I thought league one/Championship career for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

It's a really strange level to be playing at. Sure he hasn't ripped up trees on loans at some quite poor levels but it's a staggering drop at 20 years of age,  he needs a league two club to give him a permanent deal and thus incentive to develop and play him.

Always like this kid, bit about him, sharp bullish and decent finisher. I thought league one/Championship career for him.

He had bottle and a bit of the devil in him.A good right foot and good movement. But he never managed to develop his left. Great kid but i doubt he will make it much higher unless he can 

22 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Despite efforts to improve the league, the standard in the JD Cymru Premier is poor. TNS average something like 3 and a half goals a match this season: same last season.

Keep in mind that Ryan Brobbel is equal top scorer for TNS with Young, a man who failed to make it in the English lower leagues. Hope Young has a higher ceiling. 

Yeah it’s a semi pro league and despite that it’s come a long way from muddy pitch and hoofing the ball from one end of the pitch to the other and heading it back , I know quite a few that play at that level at the end of the day the wages aren’t good enough to fully commit time and effort into football most the players I know have a full time job alongside the football  barring players like Dave Edwards who have played at the top level and made their money , young players like Brad Young often struggle with the transition but he’ll just have to stick at it and hopefully he might work his way to playing in at a slightly higher level in the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Yeah it’s a semi pro league and despite that it’s come a long way from muddy pitch and hoofing the ball from one end of the pitch to the other and heading it back , I know quite a few that play at that level at the end of the day the wages aren’t good enough to fully commit time and effort into football most the players I know have a full time job alongside the football  barring players like Dave Edwards who have played at the top level and made their money , young players like Brad Young often struggle with the transition but he’ll just have to stick at it and hopefully he might work his way to playing in at a slightly higher level in the future. 

Really good summary. Same as Lee Trundle who was still ripping it up at Ammanford up until last year. Had made his money, was massively overweight and could still destroy defences in the JD Cymru South.  

I wondered about the context of the move for Young: his previous loan experiences were at Carlisle (League 2 at the time?) and Ayr (Scottish Championship?). Did he run out of options when his contract at Villa expired, so there were no other offers in the football league in England or Scotland? Or did he think that scoring a bucketload at TNS would secure him a move elsewhere long term? Maybe it's situational and he thought he could be relatively close to family if he went to Oswestry rather than further afield? Do Villa have conversations with these players to help them make their next steps?

The purpose of me asking all of these questions I'll never know the answer to is it goes to show how precarious these younger footballers' career are: he has a couple dozen matches in the lower leagues on loan, doesn't make it and he ends up playing with semi pros in JD Cymru Premier. Maybe you just find your level? Fair play to him for taking this opportunity, mind!

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

Â