Brad Young

lexicon

43 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Really good summary. Same as Lee Trundle who was still ripping it up at Ammanford up until last year. Had made his money, was massively overweight and could still destroy defences in the JD Cymru South.  

I wondered about the context of the move for Young: his previous loan experiences were at Carlisle (League 2 at the time?) and Ayr (Scottish Championship?). Did he run out of options when his contract at Villa expired, so there were no other offers in the football league in England or Scotland? Or did he think that scoring a bucketload at TNS would secure him a move elsewhere long term? Maybe it's situational and he thought he could be relatively close to family if he went to Oswestry rather than further afield? Do Villa have conversations with these players to help them make their next steps?

The purpose of me asking all of these questions I'll never know the answer to is it goes to show how precarious these younger footballers' career are: he has a couple dozen matches in the lower leagues on loan, doesn't make it and he ends up playing with semi pros in JD Cymru Premier. Maybe you just find your level? Fair play to him for taking this opportunity, mind!

I think the location definitely played it’s part,  commutable close to family, that’s one thing a friend of mine takes into consideration is that the club he plays for is within an hour and a half from home he’s self employed and does odd jobs here and there to supplement his income as long as he’s within a local proximity bouncing about working here and there is possible. I think a ideal scenario for Brad Young would be to end up at somewhere like Solihull Moors eventually. I think the club did well by him and prepared him for level that he was destined to play at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think the location definitely played it’s part,  commutable close to family, that’s one thing a friend of mine takes into consideration is that the club he plays for is within an hour and a half from home he’s self employed and does odd jobs here and there to supplement his income as long as he’s within a local proximity bouncing about working here and there is possible. I think a ideal scenario for Brad Young would be to end up at somewhere like Solihull Moors eventually. I think the club did well by him and prepared him for level that he was destined to play at.

Also the potential of pressures in the professional game.  You never know how setbacks impact these younger players who have their hearts set on successful, professional careers.  The vast amount don't make it, there's a whole load of research being done into the mental impact on these players and getting them back into "normal life" etc.

It may well be that he wants to play football, away from pressures, and wants a "normal life" with his family.  Maybe TNS provides that at a level where he can still "play in Europe".

• Like 2

I would also suggest he's got as much chance of crossing a scout's radar being top scorer in the Welsh Prem than he would playing in the English 6th, 7th, 8th tier. Yes it's not going to earn him very much in the short term but it's not the worst plan (if it is indeed a plan). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

He won the Welsh League Cup yesterday and scored one of he goals as New Saints beat Swansea U21 5-1 in the final

Also scored fifteen in fifteen in the league, second top scorer behind Aaron Williams who has one more goal and has played four more games

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Admits that when he got his first pro contract with us that he was being a bit of a lad on the town. Also noted that he fell out with the game before coming to Villa. Seems focused and confident now. 

The last bit sounds like he has half an eye on leaving TNS if he keeps going the way he is. 

On yeh, and one final thing: At first I thought the subtitles were to help Cymraeg speakers understand his Midlands accent 😳

• Like 3

He scored another hat-trick this eveing as New Saints beat Caernarfon Town 8-1

Peter O'Rourke saying a lot of clubs interested in him, including Rotherham, Hearts, and Augsburg

• Like 1

Â