Breakaway League

Jareth

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't punish the clubs, I'd punish the individuals - life bans from football activities for the CEO's at each club - so the likes of Woodward and Levy are never allowed to work in football again, and similar punishments for the owners, restricting what they can and can't do in terms of how they relate to their football clubs or banning them from football activities altogether and forcing them into a position where they'd need to sell.

Don't hurt the fans, don't hurt the players, this isn't on them.

If it's legally possible to do this, then I think that makes the most sense. 

Just now, HKP90 said:

Fit and proper persons rules?

Blatter and Platini were banned for attempting to personally profit at the expense of the game, for me that's enough of a precedent - just because these twelve are doing this in the open rather than in a dodgy hotel somewhere makes no difference to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't punish the clubs, I'd punish the individuals - life bans from football activities for the CEO's at each club - so the likes of Woodward and Levy are never allowed to work in football again, and similar punishments for the owners, restricting what they can and can't do in terms of how they relate to their football clubs or banning them from football activities altogether and forcing them into a position where they'd need to sell.

Don't hurt the fans, don't hurt the players, this isn't on them.

Noooo we must keep him at Manure the guy's a clown. Imagine if they had someone decent and with a brain. They'd dominate again.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Blatter and Platini were banned for attempting to personally profit at the expense of the game, for me that's enough of a precedent - just because these twelve are doing this in the open rather than in a dodgy hotel somewhere makes no difference to me.

Fair point

I feel that nothing the other 14 members of the PL come up with will matter to the ESL6.   They will just do what they want, get lawyers involved and ride it out for a year or two until everyone just gets used to the idea of the ESL.

And I doubt the PL14 are going to come to a hardline consensus anyway.

Pep said it’s unfair to blame people at these clubs in these difficult times. 

How many players took paycuts or furloughed because of covid like employees at most other businesses? 

Difficult times. Ha.

Edited by HKP90

Now you're **** talking. This makes a real difference.

Need Netflix, YouTube, Facebook, whoever to also now say they aren't interested.

Make them do it totally on their own. Build your own streaming platform. Then we'll see how big your bollocks are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 14 clubs could also conspire with the broadcasters,  the FA, The FL,  the other league clubs to leave the PL themselves, rejoin the Football League proper. Just rebalance the leagues to what they would be now without the 6 and as a parting gift vote to cancel all the broadcasting rights by mutual consent before all leaving.

Won't happen obviously but it would be funny

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Need Netflix, YouTube, Facebook, whoever to also now say they aren't interested.

Make them do it totally on their own. Build your own streaming platform. Then we'll see how big your bollocks are.

I think the ESL plan will be to provide their own subscription service anyway. They are out to get as much money as possible and they will look to exceed traditional TV deals. They will want all advertising revenue to themselves as well as the subscriptions.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Always be very cautious of big businesses statements like these.

Sky are getting the pitchforks out because they're not involved, not because they're absolutely outraged at what's happening.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It makes absolutely no difference to the 6. They were never going to broadcast any of their games through current broadcasters. That's the whole point of the model, remove that middleman

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I feel that nothing the other 14 members of the PL come up with will matter to the ESL6.   They will just do what they want, get lawyers involved and ride it out for a year or two until everyone just gets used to the idea of the ESL.

And I doubt the PL14 are going to come to a hardline consensus anyway.

What other choice do they have? If they allow them to do this thing and at the same time stay in the league they are signing their own death sentence.

Then a less glamorous league is a much better option than having a league where 6 clubs will be on top until end of time. 

The logical follow up will be that 2nd tier clubs just copy the six clubs and create their own league as well, and that will be the death of football as we know it. It's either that or death by boredom in a league that loose all purpose and value.

A broken clock is right twice a day. A streaming service that allows you to watch any game for a monthly fee has been needed for years. A Netflix for football coverage. Having Sky, BT, Amazon etc fight it out for the rights with multiple expensive subscriptions is a ridiculous outdated concept. People will happily pay for a good system as has been proven by lots of other industries.

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Okay so, hypothetical scenario.

This whole ESL thing doesn't go ahead, and the PL, UEFA and FIFA decide to hold off on any form of punishment for these "break away" teams until the Summer so the current football season can be finished and players can prepare for the Euros.

If you were the powers that be, what type of punishment would you hand to these clubs? 

40 point deductions minimum.

Though personally I’d want them all to go down to

League 2 with a 20 point deduction for all 6 teams.

They will eventually rise back up through the pyramid... and they will have earned it.

But for 3 seasons the premier league will be exciting for every team in it again. 

Â