Breakaway League

Jareth

21 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How are there possibly going to be enough nations represented from 20 teams of ~25 players to run a new World Cup. You've got a maximum of 20 national teams just from the number of players, but in reality there's going to a huge over representation of English, Spanish, and Italian players with a huge under representation of all other countries.

Could Germany even field a team from those 12 clubs? Egypt would just be Salah on his own.

That struck me as a playground retort: "You can't play in the World Cup." "Oh no? We'll run our own World Cup then". Yeah, didn't think that one through did you pal.

I assumed he had bigger plans.

I agree it would not work at all in the short term, which is hopefully more reason for top players to reject the idea

16 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That wolves tweet shows what footy would be like without the twunts. Win the league, mid table next. Happened to Leicester too. Bring it on! 

Honestly, that appeals to me so much. I think part of the reason I've totally lost interest in football over the past 10 years (except for Villa) is because of their monopolisation over the PL. Who wants a title race that is between the same few clubs every single year (with the exception of 15/16)? Wouldn't it be so much more fun not having a clue who could challenge each year? Teams could be near the top of the Championship one season with aspirations of getting promoted and actually challenging at the top of the PL the next season, like Clough did with Forest. It would be amazing for football. I think I might spend today creating a new DB on Football Manager with the greedy 6 in the 10th tier but competing in the ESL every year.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well that is kind of true looking at the tv audiences demographics. Scary but true.

Whilst the ESL is a horrendous evil idea for these clubs it makes more sense than the CL reforms pushed through.

They are right that the viewing public don't really want to watch more boring group matches in which the very rich teams beat the not quite so rich teams.

I am not defending the ESL but the CL reforms are not really the answer imo.

Not really. A football game takes 2 hours to watch give or take a few minutes. A basketball games takes 2.5-3 hours. 

22 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This is what I don't really understand. There's a quote from one of the executives involved to say "this isn't what we signed up for". What on Earth did they think they were signing up for? Did they expect that the media and supporters would be perfectly happy with their plans to ruin football?

Anybody who takes a step back from this now shouldn't be lauded for doing so. They should be punished for attempting this coup in the first place.

arrogance

they seem liked they seriously believed that they were too big and too powerful in their doemstic leagues and they would just be allowed to continue to play in them like nothing had happened

the not being allowed to play in UEFA / FIFA competition stuff was announced months ago and yet they still ignored it, unfortunately i think too many of them will know where their bread is buttered but there does seem like discontent with managers and players that they werent even asked about this, even if there is no punishment at all it would be great if players and managers tried to leave their current super league club

10 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Surely they will be able to spend less on player fees and wages because their income stream will no longer be dependent on qualifying for european football (by beating 16 other teams over the course of a season in an open competition)

and does this not mean that the "product" that they are so keen to share wiith their emerging markets will actually decline in quality when they no longer have to target the top players?

The reason they want to stay in the domestic leagues is to have large enough squads that they can have all the top players, I guess.

I was sure the revised champions league format announced yesterday included slots reserved for Elite clubs who fail to qualify - but I haven't been able to find it anywhere since ? 

Anyone else see this ? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Not really. A football game takes 2 hours to watch give or take a few minutes. A basketball games takes 2.5-3 hours. 

dont think its the time that @The Fun Factory was alluring to more that to be fair the CL and the UEFA competitions in general are shite, they dont know what to do with the EL, they dont know what to do with the euros or the nations league either, UEFA (and FIFA) is not a good organisation, they are greedy as **** and they are killing their own tournament chasing money, the new set up yesterday will not fix the CL

the superleague nonsense will sweep all of that under the carpet, UEFA needs reform

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I was sure the revised champions league format announced yesterday included slots reserved for Elite clubs who fail to qualify - but I haven't been able to find it anywhere since ? 

Anyone else see this ? 

Yes this is true but not all the position, its just one or 2

Anyone else see this ? 

Yeah I think there's one slot for an "Elite" club that didn't qualify. It's bullshit. 

• Like 1

Anyone else see this ? 

yes thats true, its based on the coefficient i think

Just now, villa4europe said:

dont think its the time that @The Fun Factory was alluring to more that to be fair the CL and the UEFA competitions in general are shite, they dont know what to do with the EL, they dont know what to do with the euros or the nations league either, UEFA (and FIFA) is not a good organisation, they are greedy as **** and they are killing their own tournament chasing money, the new set up yesterday will not fix the CL

the superleague nonsense will sweep all of that under the carpet, UEFA needs reform

While I agree on UEFA a little they made all the concessions for the clubs and the Europa League is one of the things created to help them. Problem for UEFA is they need to appease the smaller countries like Belarus, Croatia etc

Not an easy task

I can see it now, the 6 uk teams moving their HQ's to **** Luxembourg to avoid paying taxes. 

If they couldn't afford to give shit like Pogba £250,000 a week, then why did they do it?  

I think the big clubs fail to realise that players are human and have dips in form and that some teams just don't fit - maybe don't spunk so much of your revenue on individuals and have it bite you on the arses in the long term? 

I love how desperate Real Madrid are for this to happen, because without that money, they're ****.

The Italian teams just want to be important again, but for the rest of them, it's just so they can keep their heads afloat.

Also, how would player acquisition work outside of their countries leagues?  The players presumably could ask for incredible amounts of money to join a franchise, as we see in U.S sports?  £1m a week would be a thing soonish! (as a basic wage, not like Messi/Ronaldo as it stands). 

Could players move from a Super league club, back to the country league clubs?  

None if it makes sense and seems such a half baked-half arsed proposition, but they seem ardent to do it - what exactly do they stand to gain by sticking so much of their gutless **** necks on the chopping board? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While I agree on UEFA a little they made all the concessions for the clubs and the Europa League is one of the things created to help them. Problem for UEFA is they need to appease the smaller countries like Belarus, Croatia etc

Not an easy task

yeah the 1 FA 1 vote system, they have to give BATE the chance to play real madrid every 3 years or Belarus wont vote for it

i dont know what the answer is but i do think that they have 4 competitions and none of them are very good, the 5th one or these CL changes wont fix it either 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

JPmorgan controls assets worth about 3 trillion dollars and is itself worth about 250 billion. I don't think they give a shit about their Google reviews.

JP Morgan also got caught owning a ship that was found with over $1 billion worth of cocaine a year or two ago. think they really care?

Pretty obvious Agnelli and Perez have been desperate to get the English clubs on board with this. Their losses will be far bigger than the English clubs as match day income (or the lack of it during covid) means more due to a worse TV deal than the English clubs.

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Most likely why the tories have taken interest to be honest 

Absolutely my thoughts when I saw Boris was heading up a meeting.  

I bet the tax the Gov get through these clubs (and players) is absolutely eye-watering. 

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Simon Jordan saying these clubs need this because they are losing money (due to player wages). 
It seems to miss the fact that their wage bills will go up as a result.

I wonder if they have considered not hiring so many expensive players on high wages?

• Like 1

Â