Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

We need a change, the system with no wide players that aren’t full backs isn’t working. I know we’ve been there before, but until the transfer window I’d love to see us go 4-2-3-1. Put Ings up front, a three of Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey behind, the infamous double pivot behind them. Let’s use this squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does Buendia and Coutinho work any better than Ings and Watkins?

Hopefully we get a decent DM in at long last but this idea that will solve everything is a bit off the mark I think as we simply don't look creative enough v better sides under Gerrard, Arsenal handled our attacks with ease today.

Would personally just go 4-2-3-1 rest of the season and give Bailey and Traore a run of starts even if that goes against Gerrard's principles as just feels like we'll hit a similar sort of roadblock in these games next season given most of our attacks in the second half were waiting for Young to cut inside and cross in on his right.

• Like 1

I really dislike how we setup with 2x 10's. There's part of me that thinks it should work, but it's so easy to defend against. We'd be better off playing with wingers and making the pitch bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a tough one for Gerrard. Do you persevere with his philosophy and 4 3 2 1 / 4 3 1 2 or does he change the system to fit the players we have and how we have played for last two seasons with wide forwards. 4 3 3 / 4 2 3 1

I think he has to stick with the system until he succeeds or is fired. 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

We need to learn how to draw games rather than just lose or win… 3 draws from 29 games  ( 15 losses / 11 wins… )   

No we definitely don’t. Winning or losing is far better than drawing. It’s been like this since they started giving winners three points instead of two. This is basic math.

Coutinho-Ings- Bailey

Ramsey- Iroegbunam- Carney or Sanson

Digne- Mings- Konsa- Cash

---------- Martinez-----------

Please this is the team we have to go for next game

It really is time for Gerrard to switch to 4 2 3 1. Drop Ramsey for Bailey and play

Watkins

Coutinho Buendia Bailey

Luiz McGinn

Digne Mings Konsa Cash

OR at least go back to 4 4 2 diamond with Ings / Watkins up top. We did well enough at West Ham playing like that because we had width thanks to the front two running the channels.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

We're 9th in the table with probably the 8th/9th best squad in the league. 

Do people expect us to challenge the top 6 with our team? 

No for me we are about where I expect us to be. Does feel like the gap in quality and performances between us and the good-ish teams is a bit bigger than I hoped it would be.

Honestly think we are not even close. Work in progress, maybe we are moving in the right direction. Jury still out for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we are going to waste a lot of money because of this issue. 

I like wide attacking players. 

Also a slight worry of mine, but in the grand scheme of things, you would hope the board aren't this naive.

Personally, I don't think they are.

I reckon we will just slog it our until summer, make the reinforcements we need, and then be more flexible going forward.

My hope anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Tbf this has been a trend for some time, many teams in the Prem play systems where fullbacks or wingbacks are supposed to provide most of the width while forwards are more narrow. Traditional wingers running along the touchline to make crosses are somewhat out of fashion, or replaced by fullbacks.

There are negatives with it as well and following trends doesn’t make you a visionary.

Think Liverpool are the epitomy of this, Trent and Robinson are very attacking, however, Mane and Salah (or whoever is playing) tend to start from a wide position and drift inwards as attacks progress, this gives makes them a touch more dynamic and allows space for attacks to build. Staying narrow in congested areas makes the task more difficult. Also as they drift in they pull in full backs giving additional space for overlaps. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It really is time for Gerrard to switch to 4 2 3 1. Drop Ramsey for Bailey and play

Watkins

Bailey Coutinho Buendia

Luiz McGinn

Digne Mings Konsa Cash

OR at least go back to 4 4 2 diamond with Ings / Watkins up top. We did well enough at West Ham playing like that because we had width thanks to the front two running the channels.

Fixed

The whole first half when we played out from the back, we were going nowhere and Arsenal had a high press knowing every time we would play it out from Martinez to Kona or Mings. With our two 10s centrally waiting for the players behind them to work the ball to them. This means the only possible target for a direct pass from defence was to Watkins up top on his own.

This is a fundamental flaw with how we set up and how we play. If we were set up as a 4 3 1 2 / 4 4 2 diamond there would be Watkins and Ings available to make runs allowing for the direct pass from the back of from midfield. Even better would have been a 4 3 3 / 4 2 3 1 as then there are three players up top who can make runs to receive a direct pass from the back. 

The fact we had no long pass options due to the formation meant Arsenal knew we were always going to try pass through them from the back every time. They just needed to stay focussed on the press and turn over the ball. They play with quick passing but they also have width because of the 4 2 3 1 formation. 

I think if Gerrard ditches the 4 3 2 1 formation and reverts to the 4 3 1 2 / 4 4 2 diamond we will play better. If we had played with that formation against Arsenal there would have been more options for a direct pass to the forwards as Arsenal pressed high that leaves space elsewhere on the pitch. Something I think a Watkins Bailey front two could have exploited with pace when the game was 0-0

I'd like Gerrard to now look at 4 2 3 1 and the 4 4 2 diamond as the formations for the games ahead. If we have the threat from direct passes to our forwards and the ability to play from the back we can change it up and adapt on the pitch to the opposition. 

If the full backs are the main source of width, we need to get the ball to them much more quickly. The amount of times Cash was wide open yesterday, only for the ball to be passed backwards or sideways was very frustrating. I'm all for a patient build up, but sometimes we seem so lacking in urgency. Was it straight from kick off after the goal where Mcginn thought 'f@*k it', took a couple of people on and played a good ball out to cash on the right? We look much more dangerous playing with pace. Cash getting forward seemed our only outlet until the substitutions. Young is so predictable with his cutting inside, something I said about him during his first spell here, and he doesn't have the pace to beat people. 

I can't understand why the system is so narrow, we pack the middle of the park, but I think we look much better with wingers combining with the full backs on the overlap, dare I say it like when we regularly saw Targett and You-know-who combining. There were flashes of it when Traore and Bailley came on, but too little, too late in my opinion.

We look very easy to play against sometimes, especially against a good side like Arsenal. 

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we are going to waste a lot of money because of this issue. 

I like wide attacking players. 

Who doesn't ? It's probably one of the most exciting sights to see a wide player beat a full back ? - who wouldn't want to see that ?

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

We're 9th in the table with probably the 8th/9th best squad in the league. 

Do people expect us to challenge the top 6 with our team? 

No - as I said yesterday the results under Gerrard aren't bad - all things considered.

But forget Stevie G for a moment. Does anyone on here honestly think the narrow formation is the way forward ? - whoever the manager / head coach ?

Â