Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I’m agnostic on the subject but his fan boys would say if he had a good striker and one or two other high quality players in his 11 that would be different.

Don’t even have to be a fanboy. Brighton have a cheaply assembled squad. Quality attacking players cost the most. If they had Villa’s budget, they would do better than they currently are.

I feel like this squad is too lopsided to be consistent.  We spent a lot on attacking players this year and have a depth of attacking talent which most teams would be envious of...  Coutinho, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Traore, JJ...  but on the other hand, our lack of depth in talent for other areas leaves us wanting.  For example, Digne going out for Ashley Young massively blunts our attacking threat down the left.  Need to keep buying players one at a time to make all positions stronger.  Need to keep heavily investing in quality players this summer for the center of the pitch and in defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't get it, Bruce made the same mistake, Dean Smith did it, Gerrard did it just some month ago, how hard can it be? You should not play the same team (bar Digne-Young) three times in a week. Even if the physical stats seems good, it's very difficult to mentally be on top of your game three times in a week. The "if you perform you keep your place" is as outdated as Bruce. Of course players understand that there need to be rotation in a squad when the games are packed, even if you perform well. We have such a good squad now that we easily can rest a couple of players.

As I've said when this mistake was done before, it's also a question of having your whole squad sharp. If a player sits on the bench for a month, how can we expect him to come in fresh and perfom on top? At least one midfielder and one of the front three should have been rested. We played ok and the players ran around, but there was a slight lacklustre, most probably because of mental tiredness, until Buendia and Bailey came on.

Please learn from the mistakes.   

It does seem to be a general theme with British managers imo. Slow to tinker during actual games even when team is massively under pressure and seem to have mentality of those 11 brave soldiers must fight to the last when picking a team sometimes. You see that big time with Southgate during international tournaments.

Would be interested who's actually the best British manager out there for constant in game changes and rotation of team, probably Rodgers up to six months ago.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't get it, Bruce made the same mistake, Dean Smith did it, Gerrard did it just some month ago, how hard can it be? You should not play the same team (bar Digne-Young) three times in a week. Even if the physical stats seems good, it's very difficult to mentally be on top of your game three times in a week. The "if you perform you keep your place" is as outdated as Bruce. Of course players understand that there need to be rotation in a squad when the games are packed, even if you perform well. We have such a good squad now that we easily can rest a couple of players.

As I've said when this mistake was done before, it's also a question of having your whole squad sharp. If a player sits on the bench for a month, how can we expect him to come in fresh and perfom on top? At least one midfielder and one of the front three should have been rested. We played ok and the players ran around, but there was a slight lacklustre, most probably because of mental tiredness, until Buendia and Bailey came on.

Was it Wolves in the Championship we smashed 4-1 then kept same team midweek and got beaten badly at home by a mid table team like QPR or Bolton

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It does seem to be a general theme with British managers imo. Slow to tinker during actual games even when team is massively under pressure and seem to have mentality of those 11 brave soldiers must fight to the last when picking a team sometimes. You see that big time with Southgate during international tournaments.

Would be interested who's actually the best British manager out there for constant in game changes and rotation of team, probably Rodgers up to six months ago.

Don’t want to kiss Potter’s arse too much, but he’s very good at this. Routinely rotates and changes formation even during games, which has saved quite a few points for Brighton as they’ve turned around games that looked lost.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was it Wolves in the Championship we smashed 4-1 then kept same team midweek and got beaten badly at home by a mid table team like QPR or Bolton

Yeah lost 3-1 at home to QPR.

17 hours ago, KMitch said:

I feel like this squad is too lopsided to be consistent.  We spent a lot on attacking players this year and have a depth of attacking talent which most teams would be envious of...  Coutinho, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Traore, JJ...  but on the other hand, our lack of depth in talent for other areas leaves us wanting.  For example, Digne going out for Ashley Young massively blunts our attacking threat down the left.  Need to keep buying players one at a time to make all positions stronger.  Need to keep heavily investing in quality players this summer for the center of the pitch and in defense.

Agreed, but at least we are now at the point where we can solely do quantity over quality. It's a steady process.

For example, keeping Coutinho on a permanent ( Or finding the " next Coutinho " in his prime ), signing a top notch CM/CDM and a Left Back might just be enough this summer.

Right, so to get Coutinho and Buendia in the same side, I personally think it would be better if one plays as an 8 in the midfield three. And I think Coutinho would be best playing this role, and IIRC he has plenty of experience in playing it. Thinking something like:

DCM: Douglas Luiz
MCL: Coutinho / Ramsey
MCR: McGinn / Sanson

AMLC: Buendia
AMR: Bailey / Traore
STC: Ings / Watkins

Thoughts?

Edited by Tom13

On 12/03/2022 at 13:32, a m ole said:

So exactly like us having a Coutinho that ties it all together, they just need a top centre forward to tie it all together?

Antonio is up there with the best of them, he is a major influence on their game....only his age is against him.

He makes things happen, using his physicality to gain advantage and is supported by a clinical finish....sure they need back up, but when he's fit, Antonio is a real handful.

West Ham are not streets ahead of us as some suggest.....but they do have influential players in key positions that we do not possess.

I think West Ham have a more rounded squad then we do, but thats been down to prudent recruitment....in that sense, we are catching up.

It was not long ago we were both fighting relegation.

19 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Yamolenko says Hi

If a manager feels the player coming on cannot influence the changes to the game he is looking for, surely that is also a huge piece of criteria to manage.....its not all about fitness, all the time.

There is no real evidence to suggest what you are saying is right.....not saying you are wrong either....its just opinions....and the manager, is closer to it, then we.

Its having the whole squad with diversity too......I wonder how good a golfer would be if every iron in his bag was the same, you need horses for courses.....and we have too many the same.

Motivating a squad of players is a hugely difficult task...and when you are winning every game i.e Man City and paying huge wages, it makes it easier to manage.

Playing and training for the shirt, has to be a sensible route to take in our position, where consistency is not plentiful....its not out-dated at all, its a strategy that suits the profile of our squad.

Having a squad sharp, is just one aspect of many considerations the manager has to juggle....Mistakes is one thing, decisions is another.

On 14/03/2022 at 14:39, Tom13 said:

Right, so to get Coutinho and Buendia in the same side, I personally think it would be better if one plays as an 8 in the midfield three. And I think Coutinho would be best playing this role, and IIRC he has plenty of experience in playing it. Thinking something like:

DCM: Douglas Luiz
MCL: Coutinho / Ramsey
MCR: McGinn / Sanson

AMLC: Buendia
AMR: Bailey / Traore
STC: Ings / Watkins

Thoughts?

My thoughts are fwiw.....until that emboldened bit is fixed properly.....we will continue with the swapping around debate.

He is deployed there, because we have no one any better.....that is not a good situation to be in.

He is not a bad player at all.....but we have landed him with a role, he has admitted in not his natural role....His attributes are better served elsewhere, but we have given ourselves no choice, by failing in the past to sign an adequate one.

It is credit to the player, he has stuck with it for as long as he has.....its now high time the club fixed it for him and for us....I am hoping that is the priority, for the summer.

Edited by TRO

The scoring stats are interesting to me.

Last season we averaged..............1.44 goals scored per game.....vs  1.2 goals conceded per game

This season we are Averaging.......1.57 goals scored per game.....vs 1.5 goals conceded per game.

Its clear we are conceding ,more goals, yet we have morphed to a more advanced full back/wingback format.

sure we are scoring more, but are we deploying more bodies to it? or are the offensive players playing better.

I am still concerned with our ability to ship goals at the back, but am equally concerned our centre backs are too exposed to the counter attack.

The conclusion for me is ....the midfield has to be better at defending, controlling and organising, their department.

I did wonder against West Ham, if Chambers would have been better at No 6 and Konsa back in his centre back role.

Edited by TRO

On 13/03/2022 at 20:23, KMitch said:

A million per cent spot on.

I am amazed for so long this has gone on.

I think the groundswell of opinion, is suggesting you are right.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

A million per cent spot on.

I am amazed for so long this has gone on.

I think the groundswell of opinion, is suggesting you are right.

TBH, I'm not. 

Purslow has stressed several times that this is a long term project of getting us profitable and looking for transfer targets who can grow in value, while continuing to progress up the table.  First, we had to get promoted, then we had to build a squad to survive, then we had to become an established Prem side out of the relegation battle, now, we have to challenge for Europe.  We overachieved a bit last season when Jack was in the team and pulling the strings, then we started to look like a relegation side with Grealish on the sidelines.  This year's goal was to obviously build a squad to be able to kick on without Jack, hence the huge investment in attacking players, but we've also been shrewd with all our transfers in terms of fees as well.  We've gotten good players for a fair price (Buendia, Bailey, Ings), bargain bin finds for next to nothing with a lot of experience (Young & Chambers), and capitalized on misfortunes of other clubs and gotten high level players who would normally be out of our reach (Digne & Coutinho).  We've also been hunting for a midfielder for two windows now, but have shown we will not over pay for one, especially with anticipating prices to drop this summer.  I'm going to guess that the defenders we're after aren't there right now, in terms of price vs quality right now.  

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

TBH, I'm not. 

Purslow has stressed several times that this is a long term project of getting us profitable and looking for transfer targets who can grow in value, while continuing to progress up the table.  First, we had to get promoted, then we had to build a squad to survive, then we had to become an established Prem side out of the relegation battle, now, we have to challenge for Europe.  We overachieved a bit last season when Jack was in the team and pulling the strings, then we started to look like a relegation side with Grealish on the sidelines.  This year's goal was to obviously build a squad to be able to kick on without Jack, hence the huge investment in attacking players, but we've also been shrewd with all our transfers in terms of fees as well.  We've gotten good players for a fair price (Buendia, Bailey, Ings), bargain bin finds for next to nothing with a lot of experience (Young & Chambers), and capitalized on misfortunes of other clubs and gotten high level players who would normally be out of our reach (Digne & Coutinho).  We've also been hunting for a midfielder for two windows now, but have shown we will not over pay for one, especially with anticipating prices to drop this summer.  I'm going to guess that the defenders we're after aren't there right now, in terms of price vs quality right now.  

I was referring to not having an adequate No 6 for some time.

Leeds had Phillips in the championship, and West Ham had Rice, both from a young age, and identified the importance of such a player....both clubs would fing it hard to part with them, such is their importance.

I am not criticising our overall transfer strategy.....I just find it odd, that we have failed to adequately fill, such a key role......since Gareth Barry, its been a wilderness, for a quality No 6, I just find it strange......Jedinak and Whelan, was of a sort, but not really our level.

We have bought Oodles of wingers, only to be confused by who is the most appropriate one to play.....we have midfield playmakers aplenty.......but No CDM of any quality.

I accept, that we are looking for one, should have been looking yonks ago, for me and I believe it has held us back to a degree.

I recognise the manager, has identified a weakness, there......I am just looking forward to that hole being fixed.

Â