Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

The Athletic have done an article about Jack’s last week and how Purslow delayed and delayed as he didn’t want to sell to city (worries over their weakening the competitiveness of the league) and how it nearly went to lawyers with Jack desperate to leave the training camp. The article also tries to insist that City didn’t know of the release clause (because apparently they should be legally confidential).

Anyway I’m mentioning it in this thread because it appears we didn’t get 100m up front, it’s to be paid over 3 years. Don’t know on how much that affects our ability to spend much more this window. Bit gutted that it is instalments. Just when you think the Jack transfer can’t punch you in the gut any more…

no deal is ever paid fully up front tbf. sorry I should probably say it is very rare for a deal to be fully paid up front.  but the guaranteed income means you can purchase players if required and balance the debt over 3 years. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

It seems Juventus are not able to afford Locatalli, would love him as a statement signing.  Pay him £100k a week and 40m euros should do it.  His defensive stats combined with his creative long range passing would be amazing.

Stats

Wow, very impressive stats…

Looks a top player, played well in the Euros too. Will be a great signing for whoever gets him.

31 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

The Athletic have done an article about Jack’s last week and how Purslow delayed and delayed as he didn’t want to sell to city (worries over their weakening the competitiveness of the league) and how it nearly went to lawyers with Jack desperate to leave the training camp. The article also tries to insist that City didn’t know of the release clause (because apparently they should be legally confidential).

Anyway I’m mentioning it in this thread because it appears we didn’t get 100m up front, it’s to be paid over 3 years. Don’t know on how much that affects our ability to spend much more this window. Bit gutted that it is instalments. Just when you think the Jack transfer can’t punch you in the gut any more…

Very few transfers are paid in full up front. It's been that way for many years.

I doubt we have paid for any of our big signings all in one payment.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

It seems Juventus are not able to afford Locatalli, would love him as a statement signing.  Pay him £100k a week and 40m euros should do it.  His defensive stats combined with his creative long range passing would be amazing.

Stats

Be a magical signing but Italians just don’t often leave Serie A. Only the keeper (now) and Verratti at PSG from the whole Euros squad (not counting the two Brazilian lads at Chelsea). So worth a shot from anyone I guess but I imagine he’ll stay put until a top Serie A team signs him. 

This isn’t Nakamba (just take a look at his stats as well as his performances) unless he can further improve but at 27, he’s less likely to transform his game and improve so drastically. He’s a destroyer, a useful squad option and usually used in games when we are on the back foot or dominated. I don’t want that to happen so much or even any longer. Let’s go toe to toe and begin to dominate…

I believe Luiz has what it takes but he needs help and further development. Needs to improve the defensive and physical side of his game and I believe he can. His touch, control and passing are great. Plenty of potential there…

Doug was often isolated and overworked at times, McGinn didn’t help him out enough. And don’t even bother with Barkley…

He got most of the criticism where others seemed to have escaped it imo. John was very poor, mostly in that second half of the season. But I expect him to improve and for Sanson to push him.

I would just love a dominant force in midfield, it would really help us out…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Stats

Declan Rice level signing. Earlier in the window Arsenal were after him but he was determined to go to Juve. If that’s off I’d expect that them to have another go. 

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

An encouraging link, whether or not it is Anguissa, a dominant “regista” type will really help and improve us. Will improve our ball retention and provide a screen for our defence - our major weaknesses so far. Aid our build up play too, we can be a lot better in midfield imo and I feel it’s the key area for really enhancing us as a team and allowing us to compete further up the league…

I’m concerned about the midfield with only McGinn & Nakamba available initially from our senior players. I like Luiz and expect him to improve or regain form but he won’t be available for a while and it’s debatable whether his best position is DM (personally think he needs help, is often left isolated and hasn’t fully developed yet). Glad we retained him.

Superb stats, vastly better than any of our midfielders, for someone playing in what was a poor/struggling team. Was great at Villarreal too… 

spacer.png

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/349561/Show/André-Frank-Zambo-Anguissa

https://smarterscout.com/articles/premier-league-champions-league-fulham-andre-zambo-anguissa-manchester-city-fernandinho-rodri-thiago-alcantara

There are other, good value, options such as Sangare & Kamara too.

Every time I watched Fulham last season Anguissa was the stand out player. The way he breaks up play and drives forward is what we need

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Every time I watched Fulham last season Anguissa was the stand out player. The way he breaks up play and drives forward is what we need

Yep, he just needs to play in a better team and with better players to really stand out or shine… would be pleased with the signing if it happens…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I believe Luiz has what it takes but he needs help and further development.

Luiz can be that regista, but he needs more work and clear improvement for where we want to be. 

We have seen glimpses of his quality distribution and creativity, see 1.00 in the below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5An9Itj0bo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Luiz can be that regista, but he needs more work and clear improvement for where we want to be. 

We have seen glimpses of his quality distribution and creativity, see 1.00 in the below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5An9Itj0bo

Agreed, so far he has appeared to be our most technically gifted midfielder but needs to develop and mature further…  he has good control and an eye for a pass, usually composed with the ball and under pressure. Often collects the ball from GK and attempts to commence our build up play. He definitely has quality… seems to be too much of a scapegoat and his past form is overlooked. We have overplayed or burnt out some of our players plus having to deal with Covid was difficult and had an effect on most players…

We could do with another, superior for now, option and, again, he needs help in that midfield battle. We don’t have any physicality in midfield as it is and we often get outmuscled or overpowered… I want us to face up to the opposition and take them on rather than sit back, invite pressure and rely on breakaways… which is what we do whenever Nakamba plays. I don’t like the mentality of trying to “nick” the odd win. I want us to be more dominant and formidable.

If we can retain the ball better in general, we won’t invite as much pressure as we did (so lucky to have such an amazing GK). McGinn’s passing has to improve. Having Buendia rather than Barkley is going to help us a lot.

We may yet bring in another attacking player so I’m not completely sure if Buendia will be playing at CAM or we could go with 4-3-3 with Bailey and Buendia on the wings. 3 hardworking CMs in the middle.

In any case, we are finally going to have options and flexibility this season. It’s about time.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Makes no real difference whatsoever. It all goes in the accounts.

Yep, we will then play a game with that money and declare it when we want 

Wondering why Jack signed a 6 year deal at city? Because they will do something creative and spread his cost over that 6 year period, couldn't comply with the rules doing that over 4 or 5 years