Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, est1874 said:

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

I am aghast.

It's happening, stand on me pal, we are the next big thing, the new North stand is going to be shaped like  Jack's head, with his legs either side as pillars, aston will be known a s Grealishville. Jump.aboard pal, don't be negative, have a beer and dream like us.

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Viewing this thread after a few hours break is like returning to the office to 1000 emails - 99% of which are to do with cake/samosa sales and messages from building matenance moaning that someone has shit on the floor again

Sorry, had too many samosas yesterday.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Viewing this thread after a few hours break is like returning to the office to 1000 emails - 99% of which are to do with cake/samosa sales and messages from building matenance moaning that someone has shit on the floor again. 

Tina Fey Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I am aghast.

It's happening, stand on me pal, we are the next big thing, the new North stand is going to be shaped like  Jack's head, with his legs either side as pillars, aston will be known a s Grealishville. Jump.aboard pal, don't be negative, have a beer and dream like us.

Won't be happy with that!

Won't be able to see most of the pitch past his calves😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

If he was on £40k-50k per week or less, and it was a one year deal, and meant we could put some more budget in to (in my opinion) more pressing issues, then I’d be fine with it. We could then address the position properly next year. There might also be a ready made replacement in the youth side a year down the line, which is what we may have to think about soon. There needs to be a roadmap (god I hate that word) to the first team squad, otherwise we’ll potentially see a mass exodus ala Chelsea. 

Only if the youth players are good enough.  No point pushing them into the first team squad if they are not as good as the options already there.  However, it does look like we have got some really impressive talent coming through so hopefully that is not an issue!  However, we've all raved about our youth before and mainly be disappointed.  On the plus side - our academy now seems to be one of the best around, our recruitment to the academy seems to be right up there, the players seem to get along pretty well and forging a good team spirit AND it was good to see a few of them play in the friendly last night.  I only saw a few highlights but from what I saw it looked like the "kids" were pretty at home in the "first team" squad.  Importantly it looked like they wanted the ball and were happy to be on the ball.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Won't be happy with that!

Won't be able to see most of the pitch past his calves😉

It will be fine, it will be huge, planning permission stipulates that the stand must be visible from small heath, them dicks will see Jack's calves while they're eating their McDonald's Sunday lunches.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Am quietly convinced we're waiting for Jack to return and either sign the contract or not before deciding which targets to make firm offers for.

I'd imagine we've put out feelers for a few, but Lange probably doesn't want to throw down another £30m until we know whether we need to replace Jack or not.

Before the bandwagon jumps on, I'm not suggesting that I think Jack will go, but we all have to admit it's still a possibility; I'm sure those in charge of our transfers have multiple plans on the table.

I don't think the £30 mill signings are dependent on whether Jack signs or not.  If (when) he does sign then most of the £30 mill level targets would still improve the team.  Also if he leaves and we haven't signed any deals then you could imagine that the £30 mill will immediately be increased to £50 mill by the selling clubs because they know we are desperate.  It anything it MIGHT be that we are being pushed by clubs that think we are desperate and we're not signing anyone because when Jack signs those clubs will know that we can't be bullied into paying larger fees.  But I think the club are so well run now that they know exactly whether Jack is staying or not and have already got their plan in place either way.  So I don't think that anything they are doing has anything to do with the Jack situation.

31 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Really, though? Amazed is pretty strong. What makes you think he signed a new contract between end of League & start of Euros? 

I can't see it at all. I imagine he'll have told the club he'll make his decision when he returns from hols.

No way.  The way our club is run, the powers that be know how important Jack is to the team and their vision.  I just can't believe that they would wait until less than 1 month before the season to find out whether their star man is playing here next season or not.  I am convinced that he will have been involved in discussions about the owner's vision, the players (or type of players) that the owners are looking to sign and their ambitions for this season.  Everything about the way that they operate suggests that they do not want to be reactionary and will have been working on the summer recruitment since at least January.  Jack is important but he is not MORE important than the club.  So if he was unsure I think they would have already given him an ultimatum.  Of course it might be that he's said he is 75% certain either way and they'll have moved on with their planning on that basis.  But I don't believe that the owners aren't pretty convinced that the Jack situation is sorted (one way or the other).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Villaphil said:

AEG has 2 years left on his contract, do we offer him a new and improved one, let him wind down his contract (as we would have done under old regimes, and then lose him for next to nothing), or sell him now, when his transfer value is as high as it will ever get.

So assuming the answer is sell him, we need a ready made replacement, as in a player that could come in and do a shift for a run of games, if needed, but not expecting to consistently appear for the 1st team.

Maybe buy a young player, who has potential, is happy not to be in the first team (initially) and see where his progression takes him.  We don’t want to lose money on him, so maybe get someone in the last year of their contract so they are extra cheap.

Cantwell would appear to be the clubs selection for this role, also his experience makes him low risk.

Yep, with El Ghazi it's either sell this summer or offer him a new contract.  I've a feeling we'll listen to offers for sure.  

I think people get a bit overexcited about his figures. No assists and 5 of his goals were penalties.  I now people disagree but personally I don't like to count them as a) you shouldn't really be missing them anyway and b) if someone else was the penalty taker you wouldn't even be scoring them. 

55 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

With Sheff Utd allegedly interested in taking Hourihane off our hands, I wonder if we could use him as a makeweight for Sander Berge?

Just give Hourihane to them for free. So tired of the FB posts "Great to see Connor back. Hope he lines up in first team this season. Could really do a job for us..."

Loved his contribution to the team mostly in Championship but it's time to move on

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Just give Hourihane to them for free. So tired of the FB posts "Great to see Connor back. Hope he lines up in first team this season. Could really do a job for us..."

Loved his contribution to the team mostly in Championship but it's time to move on

Honestly, I didn't even think he was that good in The Championship tbh. 
Set piece delivery aside, I think his all round game is fairly poor. He'll do ok next year for a Championship side but not much more. 

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Viewing this thread after a few hours break is like returning to the office to 1000 emails - 99% of which are to do with cake/samosa sales and messages from building matenance moaning that someone has shit on the floor again. 

Where the f**k do you work!?!?

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'd be amazed if Jack isn't already signed and we're just awaiting his return for photo ops.

I think he has signed it before the Euro's so the club can try and build around him.

He knows how football works and he is not going to weaken ours/his/teams fortunes next season by messing the club around.

What he he got to gain by making us all wait ?

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think he has signed it before the Euro's so the club can try and build around him.

He knows how football works and he is not going to weaken ours/his/teams fortunes next season by messing the club around.

What he he got to gain by making us all wait ?

Not sure, I'd say as it's the biggest player contract ever at Villa, it is going to be a bit drawn out to get it signed and sealed.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

it is going to be a bit drawn out

There isn't the time IMO,  let's see how it goes.  He will sign or has signed,  I am confident of this.

A few more signings and a bit of luck,  we are top 6.  Changes everything that would in terms of his future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Cahill rejected new contract at Palace. Wouldn't be my favoured option but potentially an option on a free?

Not sure it's the route I'd like us to go down but links to CBs are very thin at the moment and he could do a job for a year

It’s a good shout, a good option to fill in at CB for the short term and a replacement for Terry if he’s leaving soon, to help coach our defenders.

He did ok at Palace, right?

Depends on his demands though… wonder why he’s rejected Palace’s offer…

Maybe he holds too high an opinion of himself and demands to be a starter and also a hefty wage, depends where his head is at and if he will accept more modest pay and limited first team action while being given the opportunity to go into coaching with us. 

Terry was absent yesterday and is being linked to the Swansea job…

Now that he’s completed his coaching badges, he might be in demand and more interested in taking up a managerial role…

So Cahill could take his place and also give us CB cover, he would be a more useful option than Engels turned out to be too…

That gives us more time to find a young CB with high potential and save funds for now… Hause is an adequate backup and good in the air, we need another who is more comfortable on the ball but also great at defending, another Konsa type…

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

With Sheff Utd allegedly interested in taking Hourihane off our hands, I wonder if we could use him as a makeweight for Sander Berge?

Good shout but if Berge is not a DM, do we need him?