Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Who would you have from the relegated sides  

I’d go 

Lookman  (Fulham)
Pereira (west brom)
Berge (sheff utd)

Andersen would be a good pick up at CB imo...but I can't see him joining a club just to be back up and Lyon would want about 20m. We ain't going 3 at the back anytime soon so that's a non starter.

I think Lookman will certainly be a target as Leipzig will likely ask for 20m so well within price range for us and Antonee Robinson would be good pick up at LB to challenge Targett.

Not interested in anyone at West Brom or Sheffield. Matheus Pereira feels a bit N'zogbia to me with how he's come alive with them all but relegated.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom_Wren said:

Who would you have from the relegated sides  

I’d go 

Lookman  (Fulham)
Pereira (west brom)
Berge (sheff utd)

Probably a shelf or two below the merchandise we’ll be after this summer, but realistically they’d all offer competition. Underwhelming maybe the best description. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

what does Sander Berge offer that we are missing? He seems like a player linked because he is tall and Villa fans want a tall midfielder. Sheffield United havent won or kept a clean sheet all season when he played and he hasnt played 90 minutes since December

He was decent at Genk I think so it's more that given we get wowed by anyone who's had 5 good games in that league over last few years.

Ultimately he cost Sheffield 20m so unless he has some get out clause they won't be accepting 5-10m for him.

If we're spending 20m + it needs to be on players who can really improve first 11 as happened last summer rather than just o.k ones who can do a job, would be underwhelmed if we got Berge in from what I've seen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was decent at Genk I think so it's more that given we get wowed by anyone who's had 5 good games in that league over last few years.

Ultimately he cost Sheffield 20m so unless he has some get out clause they won't be accepting 5-10m for him.

If we're spending 20m + it needs to be on players who can really improve first 11 as happened last summer rather than just o.k ones who can do a job, would be underwhelmed if we got Berge in from what I've seen.

Yeah just reminds me of the Billing crap last summer and Leroy Fer before that. Poor players that people wanted us to sign because they are tall and had a good game vs us 

• Like 2

Fernandinho is 5'10 and skinny. Makelele is 5'9.

We really don't need a tall imposing midfielder, we just need another competent DM who reads the game well, covers plenty of ground, and knows how to tackle. Basically Nakamba but with passing ability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We really don't need a tall imposing midfielder, we just need another competent DM who reads the game well, covers plenty of ground, and knows how to tackle. Basically Nakamba but with passing ability.

I get your point (maybe worth persevering with Luiz then?), alternatively there have been players like Vieira & Busquets. Rodri. Matic when he was at Chelsea too.

Away from DMs, players like Toure, Petit (was he a DM or CM?) and more (Pogba) have demonstrated how beneficial it can be to have a tall, strong player in your side. The opposition struggles to deal with them.

I just believe that we need some extra height, power and strength (alongside quality on the ball) in  the team. We barely pose any aerial threat and barely make use of set pieces (not great at taking them either). 

Mings should be doing better or be more of a threat than he has been but beyond him we don’t really have anyone (who would get significant game time) like that... can only think of Wesley.

Our midfield struggles at times and gets overpowered or outmuscled in certain games, particularly against the big teams. Someone like that in there would help us.

With the amount of CMs we already have (McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey & Luiz can play there too), DM seems the most apt or suitable position to introduce that into. I don’t think Dean would be too interested in moving on or replacing McGinn and/or Sanson. Unless we manage to sign an exceptional player such as Savic. 

I know ppl are getting sick of hearing about Koopmeiners but he (or someone similar) would seem to fit the bill, plus he takes free kicks and penalties so could be an asset in that respect too.

He can cover and has played at CB too.

Edited by Jas10

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

what does Sander Berge offer that we are missing? 

His name reminds me of Henning Berg, and it’s been ages since we had a good Norwegian player.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think we do, well the size not the position. Our team is generally on the small side which you can see on set pieces. McGinn and Luiz where thrown around against Man Utd.

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

So true. It’s such a shame Nakamba sh**s himself with the ball at his feet otherwise he’d be a super player and just what we need! 

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I want lookman. He looks really really good

He'd be a decent squad player to compete with what we have. I think we need a level or 2 above that now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I get your point (maybe worth persevering with Luiz then?)

I’m a big fan of Luiz as a DM. I want us to sign a replacement for Nakamba, a more destructive player who can play alongside Luiz.

I don’t really see this height issue that everyone keeps banging on about. Our problem on attacking set pieces is delivery, and I’m not sure we really have a problem on defensive set pieces. Not big enough to merit obsessing over height.

And anyway height and aerial ability are two different things. Watkins is superb in the air, for example.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

He'd be a decent squad player to compete with what we have. I think we need a level or 2 above that now.

I think he easily better than aeg and trez and has potential to be better thab traore

definitely want a marquee signing this summer. i wanted pulisic as he looked like he was out of favour at chelsea but seems back in the fold now

ward-prowse would be a good addition

• Like 1