General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

Still lasted longer than the Super League

Maybe FIFA should enforce refereeing laws

Actually I should apologise because FIFA/UEFA refs are usually pretty good. Premier League refs are dreadful

Blue card bollocks. Just ref the game properly with your yellow and red cards and there will be no need for a change. 

Proving yet again the suits at the top have no real idea of the game and how fans see it.

• Like 1

We live in a world where a referee, assistant referee and a team of referees in the VAR room can look at the Forest penalty incident and all of them think "no penalty". The state of refereeing is ruining the sport to a point of unwatchability. There are s few goals in a game of football, that big incidents often decide the outcomes, and it's unacceptable for them to so routinely get them all wrong.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We live in a world where a referee, assistant referee and a team of referees in the VAR room can look at the Forest penalty incident and all of them think "no penalty". The state of refereeing is ruining the sport to a point of unwatchability. There are s few goals in a game of football, that big incidents often decide the outcomes, and it's unacceptable for them to so routinely get them all wrong.

Made me consider the law though, this one. It’s an interesting incident - or… two incidents.

There’s a nudge from Botman which I don’t think is enough for a penalty on its own. Then there’s the hand raise from Dubravka which… I don’t know, I’m not sure it’s enough for a penalty on its own. However, the two things together mean it’s absolutely a foul. I guess it would (should) be given against Dubravka as the final “foul”?

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Made me consider the law though, this one. It’s an interesting incident - or… two incidents.

There’s a nudge from Botman which I don’t think is enough for a penalty on its own. Then there’s the hand raise from Dubravka which… I don’t know, I’m not sure it’s enough for a penalty on its own. However, the two things together mean it’s absolutely a foul. I guess it would (should) be given against Dubravka as the final “foul”?

I agree regarding Botman, but the Dubravka one is about as textbook as it gets. Awoniyi does everything right. Tries to stay up, tries to avoid the keeper by hurdling him, and Dubravka lifts his arm and trips him. I'd be really interested to hear the VAR recording on this one as I'm not actually sure how they've reached their conclusion.

• Like 1

Handballs in the Luton vs Sheffield game. You can tell the players never had any idea about them, natural positions. So how the hell the ref and the VAR officals call them handball. Rob Edwards even said the penalty they had, was not a penalty.

Anyone who knows football can call a handball penalty 99% of the time, it's just common sense.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

For me it’s again mine and @villa4europe’s favourite topic - meaningful contact. 

there are pens constantly given where there is definite contact but it doesn’t correlate with how the player falls over. Here, even if it’s soft, the arm raise from Dubravka completely stops Ayowiyi being able to put his foot down and keep playing. It’s a natural reaction to the contact and is 100% a penalty. But PGMOL seem to want to continue to justify very soft penalties and not ‚re-ref the game’ only in specific circumstances. 

• Like 2

Fouls outside the box are always seen differently inside the box, if there's a penaty to be given. If Howard Webb was any good at his job he should be looking at this, a foul is a foul.

Example, If a player is nudged in the back outfield, an the player falls over, no matter how soft it looks, it's given as a foul. If a player falls and puts his arm out, trips the other player it's a foul. If a player is blocked off the ball  (Liverpool game yesterday), it's foul. All these fouls have happened inside the box in various games and not been given as fouls.

Well Anthony Taylor showing inconsistency with that yesterday. He's the one (iirc) that gave the Jota pen vs Newcastle a few weeks ago and that is similar imo to the Forest one yesterday. 

I am well and truly a broken record at this point. Another game where the referee has played a massive part in the outcome. Not a foul. Not a corner (offside). Goal as a result.

VAR is deflecting the issue from the actual problem in football right now. Ange is right in that blue cards will kill the game.

• Like 1

VAR has made it worse because it muddles the lines between decisions even further. Linesmen leave their flags down if it’s tight because it’ll be checked. Refs don’t give on field decisions because it’ll be checked. But only if a high var is reached. But they aren’t checked if they lead to something down the line. I have no idea how a linesman looking straight down the line doesn’t give offside today. How an apparently top ref gives a foul for Rashford’s ridiculous dive. It’s week after week; not just villa. And it’s exhausting. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

The title of this thread actually neatly encompasses what appears to be the problem with the thinking at the top of the game - if we can improve the officiating, we don't need to arse about with the rules - there are plenty of good rules in place, we just need referees who can enforce them correctly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

What, like 

dissent isn’t dissent when you’re Bruno F

or pulling someone back isn’t a yellow when you’re harry Maguire

or even jumping into the crowd when you score isn’t a yellow when you’re Scott McTominay

That's the stuff, yep.

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Or even jumping into the crowd when you score isn’t a yellow when you’re Scott McTominay

That's a decision that isn't talked about much on here, can anyone remember the 2-2 draw we had vs them about 10 years ago, young scored a penalty and jumped in the crowd, of course he got booked, why wouldn't he get booked everyone knows you get booked for that... Vidic scores an equaliser while already on a yellow card and jumps in the crowd... Of course he wasn't sent off 

The cup final one is obvious but that one also boils my piss still 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's a decision that isn't talked about much on here, can anyone remember the 2-2 draw we had vs them about 10 years ago, young scored a penalty and jumped in the crowd, of course he got booked, why wouldn't he get booked everyone knows you get booked for that... Vidic scores an equaliser while already on a yellow card and jumps in the crowd... Of course he wasn't sent off 

The cup final one is obvious but that one also boils my piss still 

It’s honestly bizarre, and why I can’t fully get out of my head the conspiracy angle. This one in particular is an objectively strange case where the ref simply didn’t apply the law as written. It’s not subjective thing where the decision could go either way. 

• Like 1

Feel like the officiating has been particularly bad recently - coincidentally around the time we've played Chelsea, Newcastle and Man United. Wonder if we'll get better, or at least more balanced, officiating when we play the "lesser" teams in the coming weeks?

Â