Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't see him starting on Saturday as he'll only have had 2 training sessions. That said if he's amazing v high press get him in as we always struggle in that regard v Southampton.

Will be interesting team selection on Saturday. Perhaps after defeat you mix it up and take out Barkley and Traore and bring in Sanson and Trez to give us more solid look away from home but then you risk losing that link to Ollie and he'll be isolated if we can't get Jack on the ball in space. Interesting what DS comes up with.

He was supposed to play Marseille's last game but his head wasn't in it. He's definitely fit, and I imagine 2 training sessions might be enough. I'll start him against Saints. I shudder to imagine Barkley against their energetic side.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WooJung said:

Easy to say in hindsight as McGinn wasn't great, but if Ollie had scored that 1vs1 vs pope we'd all be raving about that pass, and no way Nakamba would've come out with something like that. 

Not at all I've been saying for months that McGinn is limited.

Sanson in for McGinn.

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I wouldnt start him Saturday, but I would  go back to our winning team before Barkley came back. Get Grealish back in the middle, Trez and AEG on the wings, and use Traore, Barkley and Sanson to change things from the bench.

We've changed a winning side due to return from injury and look worse for it.

Good post.

I would have El Ghazi and Traore on the wings with Jack in the middle placing Barkley back to the bench against Southampton. I would also start with Luiz and McGinn again in midfied.

Sanson gives us a good option to change things in various ways though, where can replace John McGinn from coming off the bench, or even coming on and taking off say El Ghazi for instance, allowing Jack to move out to the left and Sanson taking up that central role.

It's a great signing we have made here and I look forward to seeing how he does with us.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

I'd persist with a similar idea @AvfcRigo82 El Ghazi has energy, Barkley seems tired and slow. I don't know why, was it Covid or his injury.

McGinn also on borrowed time IF Sanson is fit and looks good in training. Southampton maybe too soon (and unfair) for our new signing to start?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good post.

I would have El Ghazi and Traore on the wings with Jack in the middle placing Barkley back to the bench against Southampton. I would also start with Luiz and McGinn again in midfied.

Sanson gives us a good option to change things in various ways though, where can replace John McGinn from coming off the bench, or even coming on and taking off say El Ghazi for instance, allowing Jack to move out to the left and Sanson taking up that central role.

It's a great signing we have made here and I look forward to seeing how he does with us.

If he is fit and ready i would start him ahead of Barkley. We know what happened last time against them. We need another midfielder in there

25 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good post.

Yeh, Traore or Trez I'm less worried about. Either is fine. Traore was part of those exceptional performances without Barkley, but went missing yesterday.

I'd be inclined to give it to Trez over Traore as Trez did nothing wrong until he got injured, and deserves to be recalled if he's back and fully recovered, but can see it might be harsh to drop Traore after one bad game.

On topic edit: The options Sanson should afford us make for exciting times. Hope he's half as good as those compilations videos have made me expect him to be.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Morgan, welcome to the club. Your arrival is timely.

I don't see him starting starting at Southampton but he is likely to get an earlier start than the usual 80+ minutes for our normal subs. Exactly who he replaces will depend on the state of the game but I would guess Barkley who is still running out of steam on the hour mark. Could be a win/win for us as both get game time.

I hope he can live up to his reputation and he should be a very valuable addition to the squad. At the moment I only see Douglas (and Jack) as the only nailed starters in the midfield. There is now good competition and quality in this area. It's just finding the right balance and using them all wisely.

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I wouldnt start him Saturday, but I would  go back to our winning team before Barkley came back. Get Grealish back in the middle, Trez and AEG on the wings, and use Traore, Barkley and Sanson to change things from the bench.

We've changed a winning side due to return from injury and look worse for it.

Look worse? We looked heavenly until our defense and keeper decided not to show up. Sanson walks in over McGinn for me. Don't change anything else.

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

But i said that In the Sanson thread and you said no he was competition for Mcginn?

French football experts have stated is most like McGinn, box to box, central possession, aggressive and central midfielder.

From those reviews and attributes he seems most like a McGinn replacement. At Montpellier he was played more offensively but that was a few seasons ago.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Look worse? We looked heavenly until our defense and keeper decided not to show up. Sanson walks in over McGinn for me. Don't change anything else.

Don't know what game you were watching. We were creating chances but we looked straight up awful. They were dominating possession against us like Newcastle and we resorted to hoofing the ball. 

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

French football experts have stated is most like McGinn, box to box, central possession, aggressive and central midfielder.

From those reviews and attributes he seems most like a McGinn replacement. At Montpellier he was played more offensively but that was a few seasons ago.

Thats not the point. @villalad21 boohooed my idea of playing a 'flatter 3 midfield' of Sanson, Douglas and Mcginn(yesterday) and then has gone round suggesting the same idea today.

Edited by KAZZAM

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Don't know what game you were watching. We were creating chances but we looked straight up awful. They were dominating possession against us like Newcastle and we resorted to hoofing the ball. 

We had 67% match possession and were totally dominating up to the point of that comical cross/shot that ended up in the bottom corner. 

After that we went to bits admittedly. 

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We had 67% match possession and were totally dominating up to the point of that comical cross/shot that ended up in the bottom corner. 

After that we went to bits admittedly. 

There were stretches of the game where we had less than 30% possession for 5 minutes.

Maybe my memory is being tainted by the last 20 minutes but we just did not play through the middle of the park at all. 

Â