Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

16 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You get the keto flu on day 5-7, in my experience it only last a couple of days and that’s when you enter ketosis and start to feel great. If anything you’ll have too much energy at times, not being able to get to sleep and waking up at 5am for example.

After a couple of weeks you realize how much your hunger is dictated by the ups and downs of sugar and carbs, you start to eat because you need to not because of food cravings, it’s quite a strange feeling.

Ive just started day 1 of keto again myself. Gonna do 5-6 weeks then indulge over Christmas.

Spot on dan. Its mad how energised you feel after a few weeks. Then when do go back on sugar and carbs how groggy you feel.

Been on this Keto diet/heath kick, I've past the rough part, an the last couple of days felt great, waking up without tiredness, feeling energised, it really does work. Unfortunately I ate my lads McDonalds Hash brown this morning, as well as a coffee, I feel now like I'm on a heroin come down, I guess it won't last, but I know now to do that again.

Edited by foreveryoung

On 17/11/2023 at 11:23, foreveryoung said:

Been on this Keto diet/heath kick, I've past the rough part, an the last couple of days felt great, waking up without tiredness, feeling energised, it really does work. Unfortunately I ate my lads McDonalds Hash brown this morning, as well as a coffee, I feel now like I'm on a heroin come down, I guess it won't last, but I know now to do that again.

Yeah when you go off carbs and sugar for a while as  soon as you go back to eating it i found myself feeling sluggish and less energised 

Honestly its literally almost possible to find sugar free chocolate. Alot of companies use maltilol which is a synthetic sugar but deemed 'as sugar free' but still spikes insulin.

So you can literally only make your own or go 85÷ cocoa

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Had a bit of a carb binge yesterday; lots of bread and then some chips. It hit me for 6! I went to bed at 7 and slept for 12 hours straight ! Still feeling shit now.

Awful isnt it that feeling.

When i eat pizza thats exactly how i feel. Thats why i avoid at all costs 

• Like 1

well I hit my first mini goal so my treat is a full on Indian, chicken and king prawn madras, boiled rice, naan and a tandoori chicken starter.

After tonight I'm right back on it and my next goal is another 6lbs from where I am now and then I can have another treat.

I haven't been to the gym in over a week either because I've been under the weather and had a bit of a bad chest, I'm hoping I'll be good to get back in there tomorrow but have a feeling it will be Friday or Saturday.

24lbs in 6 weeks so far.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Had a bit of a carb binge yesterday; lots of bread and then some chips. It hit me for 6! I went to bed at 7 and slept for 12 hours straight ! Still feeling shit now.

This is the one big problem as I see it, although I'm also not convinced you get as much energy from fat as you would from carbs either. You can also loose muscle definaition too, which ain't good, when your main goal was to eat heathier combined with excercise to tighten up a bit.

I stopped drinking alcohol  3 weeks ago , I’d tried to cut down on the beer intake for a while but it just wasn’t working , I was still drinking to much. I coach youth football 2-3 evenings a week and am at football Saturday and Sunday . This generally leads to someone or everyone going for a de-brief beer or plenty afterwards . This also led to food late at night and my weight crept up .so I needed to cut the rubbish out ! No beer , no sausage baps etc , less snacking , lost 11 pound in 3 weeks without starvation .I feel really fresh and getting good sleep now .  I don’t miss the beer tbh but I do miss the bacon ,sausage etc . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can't drink beer on this Keto. I usually go out Friday evening for a social with a few lads, but haven't been for 3 weeks as I wouldn't know what to drink. Diet coke, dry white wine, no thanks, an I wouldn't go on the spirits.

I don't want to be the devil on your shoulder here, but IMO, a sustainable diet/lifestyle you enjoy and can stick to is better and more sustainable than a miserable one that makes you feel you're missing out.

It's better to go out once a week and have a few beers , enjoy yourself, and have that as a treat that keeps you on your path than to burn out, give up, go on a night out, and decide to sack off the whole thing.

• Like 4

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have a meeting to discuss next week. I know that some of you have this and I am reluctant to tag people as it's a chunky boi condition. Anyone have it, live with it and what it means for me?

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have a meeting to discuss next week. I know that some of you have this and I am reluctant to tag people as it's a chunky boi condition. Anyone have it, live with it and what it means for me?

My dad has it. I'm on the way to having it if I don't buck my ideas up. It's not necessarily a chunky boi disease but unless you really overhaul your lifestyle choices then it could become a problem later on in life (feet, eyes etc...).

It's definitely manageable and with the right outlook and diet you may not notice and could possibly reverse it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't want to be the devil on your shoulder here, but IMO, a sustainable diet/lifestyle you enjoy and can stick to is better and more sustainable than a miserable one that makes you feel you're missing out.

It's better to go out once a week and have a few beers , enjoy yourself, and have that as a treat that keeps you on your path than to burn out, give up, go on a night out, and decide to sack off the whole thing.

Yeah that's all I think when I read about people doing Keto - it's more than a fad diet in that there seems to be some science to back up the changes the body goes through, but in the end it's one of those things that you have to stick to or you'll crash hard when you come off it.

I mean, the best/only way to real weight loss/control/fitness/healthy living is an overall lifestyle change, and great if Keto works for anybody in that sense forever or a significant time period, but it sounds like you really have to stick to it more than anything else.

You can't just do Keto for a week then have a curry and a beer on Friday or everything else was basically pointless - at least if you're doing something like 5/2 or whatever it's called you'll have saved on a shitload of calories in the week, whereas I doubt you reduce calorie intake by much eating steak and eggs.

• Like 2

I’ve read a lot about Keto and tried it in the past unsuccessfully. I play football at least once a week so I just can’t see how it would be possible to drop carbs that much and play footy. Would love to hear if anybody has ever been able to play football whilst on Keto?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve read a lot about Keto and tried it in the past unsuccessfully. I play football at least once a week so I just can’t see how it would be possible to drop carbs that much and play footy. Would love to hear if anybody has ever been able to play football whilst on Keto?

I cycle, although using the spin bike at the moment. I commented above,  even though you probably wouldn't notice day to day, if you do strenuous exercise, I'm feeling you don't get the energy or stamina from fat on Keto as you do in carbs.

I'll be keeping on keto till early December then just start eating healthier I.e no bread, limit potatoes. Its great for weight loss, though I'm really not convinced on the health benefits, your body does needs Carbs.

• Like 1

I've been going to the gym regularly over the past 6 weeks or so which is the same amount of time I've been doing Keto, I don't notice any difference between now and when I was going a few years ago to be honest, other than the fact that I am far far heavier now than I was before which makes it a struggle.

I'm not the fittest anyway, I never have been so I'm usually blowing pretty early on anyway but it hasn't been any more than I would expect on Keto

On 23/11/2023 at 08:43, leemond2008 said:

I've been going to the gym regularly over the past 6 weeks or so which is the same amount of time I've been doing Keto, I don't notice any difference between now and when I was going a few years ago to be honest, other than the fact that I am far far heavier now than I was before which makes it a struggle.

I'm not the fittest anyway, I never have been so I'm usually blowing pretty early on anyway but it hasn't been any more than I would expect on Keto

On keto you should have more energy to be honest if doing it 100% with no breaks.

On 23/11/2023 at 07:42, fightoffyour said:

Yeah that's all I think when I read about people doing Keto - it's more than a fad diet in that there seems to be some science to back up the changes the body goes through, but in the end it's one of those things that you have to stick to or you'll crash hard when you come off it.

I mean, the best/only way to real weight loss/control/fitness/healthy living is an overall lifestyle change, and great if Keto works for anybody in that sense forever or a significant time period, but it sounds like you really have to stick to it more than anything else.

You can't just do Keto for a week then have a curry and a beer on Friday or everything else was basically pointless - at least if you're doing something like 5/2 or whatever it's called you'll have saved on a shitload of calories in the week, whereas I doubt you reduce calorie intake by much eating steak and eggs.

All diet "types" are fads.  The only thing sustainable is changing your entire approach to food.

Starvation meant to be the "best thing" for you but, again, sustainably.  One of the biggest factors is snacking before sleeping (within the hours before).  Apparently - and I can't remember which science bod had spoken about it - having a period of no food intake between tea (dinner, whatever - your last meal of the day) and breakfast will, for those who are overweight, lead to a rather sizeable weight loss fairly quickly.  Also meant to be a healthy thing to do for everyone.  I think 13 hours was the time quoted; something like eating tea (dinner, whatever...) at 7pm and then not eating again until 8am the next day.

• Like 2

Â