Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

On 06/12/2023 at 10:51, Mark Albrighton said:

For what it’s worth I think one indulgence a week is ok. These little things make life a bit more enjoyable.

The trouble I have with just one indulgence, is that it can easily become a bit of a lost 24 hours or so where the floodgates have opened and I become a bit gluttonous. Although that typically happens when alcohol is involved. 

If you’re having days where you find you don’t eat much, maybe try and have one of those before the curry day. I sometimes find having a big meal one night will inevitably lead to me not eating much the next day. 

So ideally you’d have two lean days either side of the more relaxed day. Should balance out.

Thats the problem though isnt it?;

One bad meal can lead go a onslaught of bad meals. If you have good willpower then of course have the meal.

I came off yesterday for bday and had a duck burger. It was awesome tasted so good. Now back on keto for next couple weeks until xmas day 

Gonna do some intense spin classes this week

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the problem though isnt it?;

One bad meal can lead go a onslaught of bad meals. If you have good willpower then of course have the meal.

I came off yesterday for bday and had a duck burger. It was awesome tasted so good. Now back on keto for next couple weeks until xmas day 

Gonna do some intense spin classes this week

I find I can have a bad 24 hours and as long as the next 2-3 days are much stricter and there’s no problem.

Just this weekend from Saturday evening to Sunday evening was a more relaxed one (pub meal, no alcohol, a bit more snacking on Sunday along with a roast dinner).

But I’ve woken up and I don’t feel hungry, I feel like today and likely tomorrow will naturally be very calorie conscious days.

What I used to do was have a bad 24-36 hours and then have days which would be considered just normal. Now I have a bad 24-36 hours and the calorie intake for the following day or two barely reaches 2000 (over the two days).

I don’t know how much of that is my willpower and how much is my body naturally saying “Alright Mark, you’re ok for calorie consumption for a while”. Because it feels like less of an effort these days to do feast or famine.

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I find I can have a bad 24 hours and as long as the next 2-3 days are much stricter and there’s no problem.

Just this weekend from Saturday evening to Sunday evening was a more relaxed one (pub meal, no alcohol, a bit more snacking on Sunday along with a roast dinner).

But I’ve woken up and I don’t feel hungry, I feel like today and likely tomorrow will naturally be very calorie conscious days.

What I used to do was have a bad 24-36 hours and then have days which would be considered just normal. Now I have a bad 24-36 hours and the calorie intake for the following day or two barely reaches 2000 (over the two days).

I don’t know how much of that is my willpower and how much is my body naturally saying “Alright Mark, you’re ok for calorie consumption for a while”. Because it feels like less of an effort these days to do feast or famine.

2000 calories across 2 days? That seems ridiculously low. Be careful to go into starvation mode 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

2000 calories across 2 days? That seems ridiculously low. Be careful to go into starvation mode 

It does appear low. But it seems to work with no noticeable issues that I’ve experienced. I’m currently about 10 and a half stone, maybe a smidge under (height 5’8”). I’ve been oscillating between 10st 4 to 11 for most of the year. I started the year closer to 12 stone.

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It does appear low. But it seems to work with no noticeable issues that I’ve experienced. I’m currently about 10 and a half stone, maybe a smidge under (height 5’8”). I’ve been oscillating between 10st 4 to 11 for most of the year. I started the year closer to 12 stone.

Fair enough, if you can cope with it and it’s working for you keep going. 

Changing the subject, your stats do show for me why BMI is a pile of crap. I’m slightly taller than you at 5’9, I couldn’t imagine being close to 10 stone, it wouldn’t suit me at all, I’m broad shouldered and sticky build. My target is 13st which I’m closing in on now. Even at that weight BMI says I’m overweight which I don’t think I would be 

• Like 1

I did treat myself to my curry on Friday (and saved a wee bit for my breakfast on Saturday) I've been really careful since and I will stay careful until Wednesday which is our works Christmas meal, it'll go out of the window for that and then I'll be back on it until Xmas Eve, I'll eat and drink whatever the hell I want until boxing day and then get back on it in a big way.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Prior to starting this Keto lark I was eating shit loads, now I can fast for a whole day with no problem at all, I don't even register it because I'm just not hungry, by the second or third day of eating very little the hunger kicks in but even then it isn't like I'm sitting there thinking I'm absolutely starving and need to stuff my face, its just more of a "well, I suppose its time to eat something" 

I didn't ever think I would get to the point where I was eating so little but here we are, I probably average about 1700/1900 cals a day.

Also I was off work last week and slacked a bit with the gym so bang on 5pm I'll be getting back in there. going to try and motivate myself to get up there 4 times this week.

47 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Prior to starting this Keto lark I was eating shit loads, now I can fast for a whole day with no problem at all, I don't even register it because I'm just not hungry, by the second or third day of eating very little the hunger kicks in but even then it isn't like I'm sitting there thinking I'm absolutely starving and need to stuff my face, its just more of a "well, I suppose its time to eat something" 

I didn't ever think I would get to the point where I was eating so little but here we are, I probably average about 1700/1900 cals a day.

Also I was off work last week and slacked a bit with the gym so bang on 5pm I'll be getting back in there. going to try and motivate myself to get up there 4 times this week.

Fair play mate, very inspirational.

I'm just coming up to 5 weeks of Keto myself as i mentioned earlier in this thread, not been 100% on it but still dropped around 8-10 pounds which i'm happy with as i can enjoy Christmas and have a head start come 1st Jan when i get back on the wagon.

I found the same with Keto that you don't realise how much the sugar and carb highs and lows dictate your hunger, its quite freeing when you take that away.

Well it was the Xmas meal today, weighed myself this morning and I was down 32lbs from my heaviest, today was always going to be  of one meal where I truly forget about diet and just enjoyed my grub, it was an all you can eat place where they come around and just carve steak, lamb, pork, gammon onto your plate, there was no way that I was going to eat sensibly in that sort of atmosphere.

Anyways got home and weighed myself and I'd gone up by 4lbs since this morning 🤣

I know that'll come off again relatively quickly, but I thought it was pretty funny regardless.

Back on it now until Xmas Eve when I'll indulge a little bit but not go crazy and my Xmas day breakfast, dinner and a few cans of lager (I've only had a total of 3 cans of lager in the last 2 months) and after that there isn't anything else on the calendar to throw me off track.

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Well it was the Xmas meal today, weighed myself this morning and I was down 32lbs from my heaviest, today was always going to be  of one meal where I truly forget about diet and just enjoyed my grub, it was an all you can eat place where they come around and just carve steak, lamb, pork, gammon onto your plate, there was no way that I was going to eat sensibly in that sort of atmosphere.

Anyways got home and weighed myself and I'd gone up by 4lbs since this morning 🤣

I know that'll come off again relatively quickly, but I thought it was pretty funny regardless.

Back on it now until Xmas Eve when I'll indulge a little bit but not go crazy and my Xmas day breakfast, dinner and a few cans of lager (I've only had a total of 3 cans of lager in the last 2 months) and after that there isn't anything else on the calendar to throw me off track.

You won’t have gone up 4 lbs in reality. It takes something like 3500 calories for 1lb of fat to go on. The food you’ve had probably was high salt content so your weigh in will be a lot of water retention.
I had similar Sunday, I was out Saturday pretty heavily and barely ate all day. It was my scheduled weigh in Sunday and some how I’d dropped 6lbs since Wednesday. Weighed in again this morning and 3 pounds up, which is what I thought would happen as it was just dehydration weight on Sunday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You won’t have gone up 4 lbs in reality. It takes something like 3500 calories for 1lb of fat to go on. The food you’ve had probably was high salt content so your weigh in will be a lot of water retention.
I had similar Sunday, I was out Saturday pretty heavily and barely ate all day. It was my scheduled weigh in Sunday and some how I’d dropped 6lbs since Wednesday. Weighed in again this morning and 3 pounds up, which is what I thought would happen as it was just dehydration weight on Sunday. 

yeah I know, like I said, it'll come off again pretty quickly, I'm not concerned at all by it, I just wanted to see what the damage was and just how many pounds of steak I'd eaten lol

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

yeah I know, like I said, it'll come off again pretty quickly, I'm not concerned at all by it, I just wanted to see what the damage was and just how many pounds of steak I'd eaten lol

You'll have an 8lb shit tomorrow

• Haha 2

No alcohol for 7 weeks now , after the initial strange few nights sleep and waking up groggy ,almost like waking up after a sesh . I’ve now been sleeping really well for weeks, I genuinely can’t remember a time in my life where I’ve rested so well . I’ve been trying to watch what I eat a lot more recently and have cut out the bread for the last few weeks ( I could eat the stuff all day!) . I am still treating these changes as lifestyle changes and will continue on this way . I’d not weighed myself for a while but did today as I’ve noticed my clothes were getting baggy , lost 19lb , I don’t have a target but just to feel better . Mrs stopped drinking 5 weeks ago ( she drank wine) but slightly differently to me has been extremely strict with her diet ,lost 10lb , we are starting swimming over the Christmas break ,she’s like an eel ,I’m like a rock ! I’ll let you know how it goes 🤣

• Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 22:55, Chine said:

No alcohol for 7 weeks now , after the initial strange few nights sleep and waking up groggy ,almost like waking up after a sesh . I’ve now been sleeping really well for weeks, I genuinely can’t remember a time in my life where I’ve rested so well . I’ve been trying to watch what I eat a lot more recently and have cut out the bread for the last few weeks ( I could eat the stuff all day!) . I am still treating these changes as lifestyle changes and will continue on this way . I’d not weighed myself for a while but did today as I’ve noticed my clothes were getting baggy , lost 19lb , I don’t have a target but just to feel better . Mrs stopped drinking 5 weeks ago ( she drank wine) but slightly differently to me has been extremely strict with her diet ,lost 10lb , we are starting swimming over the Christmas break ,she’s like an eel ,I’m like a rock ! I’ll let you know how it goes 🤣

19lb and 10lb both without increasing exercise is absolutely superb, well done. 

FWIW, I think everyone, regardless of 'dieting' (hate the word) would benefit from tracking what they eat and drink - apparently people are awful at guessing how many calories they consume.

My own journey - I lost 90lbs over a course of 12 months with the attitude of I'll eat what I want but I'll do the gym work to put myself in a deficit - every day, at least half hour of cardio (recorded with a HRM, at 70-80% range) and a very basic weights routine (4 x 12 sets and reps, three different resistance machines, rotating three different plans) - I ate absolute shit, pizza, fish and chips, curry, bread, all of it, but every single week, for as long as the calories burnt were higher than the calories consumed, the weight game off. 

Once the weight had come off, I realised that the diet wasn't optimal to building more muscle, so I switched to a higher protein intake - Nothing complicated, protein bars, shakes, would have battered fish or chicken but no chips, there are some amazing tasting protein puddings and that available out there now - Toned up nicely over a few months, arms and legs in particular.

Stopped training, but kept the food the same, and honestly, I'm rarely ever hungry, even on 'big' days. Protein man, protein is key, you don't need to be silly about it (I'm not eating salmon steaks and broccoli at work, **** that) but such small changes can make a huge difference to your whole body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently down 36lbs since mid October, I'll have 3 days of eating shite and then see what the damage is, I haven't been to the gym for the last few weeks either, its cold outside, constantly raining and I just haven't had the motivation, every time I walk past it is dead in there as well so I'm guessing most people feel the same way lol,

I'll be getting back in there as of the first week of January though. Not as any new years resolution or any of that bollocks, just that I'll have had a decent enough break by then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

19lb and 10lb both without increasing exercise is absolutely superb, well done. 

FWIW, I think everyone, regardless of 'dieting' (hate the word) would benefit from tracking what they eat and drink - apparently people are awful at guessing how many calories they consume.

My own journey - I lost 90lbs over a course of 12 months with the attitude of I'll eat what I want but I'll do the gym work to put myself in a deficit - every day, at least half hour of cardio (recorded with a HRM, at 70-80% range) and a very basic weights routine (4 x 12 sets and reps, three different resistance machines, rotating three different plans) - I ate absolute shit, pizza, fish and chips, curry, bread, all of it, but every single week, for as long as the calories burnt were higher than the calories consumed, the weight game off. 

Once the weight had come off, I realised that the diet wasn't optimal to building more muscle, so I switched to a higher protein intake - Nothing complicated, protein bars, shakes, would have battered fish or chicken but no chips, there are some amazing tasting protein puddings and that available out there now - Toned up nicely over a few months, arms and legs in particular.

Stopped training, but kept the food the same, and honestly, I'm rarely ever hungry, even on 'big' days. Protein man, protein is key, you don't need to be silly about it (I'm not eating salmon steaks and broccoli at work, **** that) but such small changes can make a huge difference to your whole body.

90lbs in 12 months is medal worthy 🏆👏, serious effort with the gym work whilst eating poorly , my body couldn’t take that !, I got in poor condition gaining weight after a pre covid injury coupled with lockdown just sat around drinking and eating . The bad part is I spend a lot of time coaching football and it’s not a great look for a coach carrying weight ,especially in any demo work !🤣. I have noticed a lot less aggravation from my ankle with less weight on it .

47 minutes ago, Chine said:

90lbs in 12 months is medal worthy 🏆👏, serious effort with the gym work whilst eating poorly , my body couldn’t take that !, I got in poor condition gaining weight after a pre covid injury coupled with lockdown just sat around drinking and eating . The bad part is I spend a lot of time coaching football and it’s not a great look for a coach carrying weight ,especially in any demo work !🤣. I have noticed a lot less aggravation from my ankle with less weight on it .

Not at all medal worthy, altho I appreciate the sentiment. 

If I'm being perfectly honest, I just needed to make it simple and fun, as with anything in life I guess. My gym time was my time for me, my music, my podcasts, my audiobooks, my thoughts. Eating was a piece of piss, when you know a Sainsburys Pizza is 650 calories yet a takeaway pizza can be 1500-2000, and you know you burn about 100 cals every 10 mins on the cross trainer, Sainsburys pizza wins every time. Also, there's a lot of 'shit' food out there that is surprisingly high protein too (granted, high fat also) but some ready meals can be almost as 'good' for you as a chicken salad, depending on what your goals are.

I've taken my foot off the last month or so, but looking forward to reinforcing the routine again after Xmas

• Like 1

Total Verdict on Keto after 8 weeks.

To lose weight it works, if you do it by the book. I lost close to 10 kg in 8 weeks, no excercise, max 50g carbs a day, only wanted to lose 5kg really, now weigh 82kg from 91kg so hopefully Christmas will get me back to ideal, I can then carry on eating more healthy, as well as ripping the spin bike, as got a 100 mile cycling event next year.

As said on here previously, there is no way you can keep, or increase your stamina on Keto, you'll lose muscle mass too, unless taking supplements. Also to keep away from the post Keto flu, feeling rough for a week is nigh impossible, unless your main priority for a week is going to be your protein intake. I'm off it now, no chance of being on Keto over christmas, an who would want to be.

It has learnt me, that you can fairly easily lose weight, but you need to really want too, as it's not the ideal way, it certainly has it's negatives, main one being the fat content of most regular foods you'll be eating, again unless your monitoring your intake religously.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 15:49, foreveryoung said:

Total Verdict on Keto after 8 weeks.

I think what Keto shows you is that its carbs that are the problem for most people. Wheat is basically sugar in disguise. A dietary regime of 50% protein, 30% veg, 10% fruit & 10% carbs is an achievable lifestyle for most people. This is what people should aim for and also to eat all their food in an 8 hour window. 11am - 7pm for most people. The science backs up this kind of approach as its probably the ratio's we would have eaten as cavemen varying depending on the time of year... 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

Â