Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

I think the term 'bad for you' for any food is a stretch - If you had two pieces of processed white bread and a two chicken breasts with salad, you've got a very lunch - If you have freshly baked bread with two slices of processed chicken, I'm not sure you could argue the same. The key is ALWAYS balance . I'd much rather eat fresh bread anyway as it tastes better, but not always as practical.

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I managed to drag my sorry ass back to the gym this morning, felt good to be in there again even if I didn't do a fat lot, it was more about just getting back on the hoss today more than anything.

Same again tomorrow I reckon.

10 minutes a day for 6 days creates better habits than 60 minutes a day for one day brother, a virtual pat on the back for you sir, keep going.

• Like 3

On 03/01/2024 at 14:35, bobzy said:

Bread is awful for you really, unless freshly baked.

If you're going down the health route, those type of ultra processed foods are the ones to avoid.

I was referring to bread that is not ultra-processed. I would steer clear of that sliced white bread that is so common in the UK. I've lived in Austria and now Germany for sometime and the bread here is on another level. So many choices of whole grain and sourdough breads that are packed with fibre.

On another note, Ezekiel bread made from sprouted grains, beans and legumes seems to be the real deal and would love to have it available to buy.

Edited by maltesemike
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, maltesemike said:

I was referring to bread that is not ultra-processed. I would steer clear of that sliced white bread that is so common in the UK. I've lived in Austria and now Germany for sometime and the bread here is on another level. So many choices of whole grain and sourdough breads that are packed with fibre.

On another note, Ezekiel bread made from sprouted grains, beans and legumes seems to be the real deal and would love to have it available to buy.

You can get Ezekiel bread on Amazon 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Well, it'll be 3 months tomorrow since I first got myself back in the gym and I've just weighed myself, I've only gone and lost a total of 42lbs ain't I.

I'm absolutely buzzing, can't believe I've dropped so much,  3st in 3 months.

I still say that for me the most beneficial thing about doing the low carbs shit is that it removes so many options.

Yesterday I was in the office and someone bought in donuts, crisps, chocolates and caked (no idea what the occasion was) but I didn't indulge in any of it, way back when I was watching my weight before I would have said to myself "go on, you were good yesterday, you can have a donut, and just go and snaffle a shit load of crisps and you can make up for it tomorrow" the fact that I can't even have a sneaky packet of hula hoops has been the main thing for me, I think, that and completely knocking the takeaways and lager on the head. The fact it is so restrictive is actually a major bonus for me.

Ashamed to say that I’ve only just found this thread, but I’ve seen a few of your posts and have found them inspiring. Keep going 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Well, it'll be 3 months tomorrow since I first got myself back in the gym and I've just weighed myself, I've only gone and lost a total of 42lbs ain't I.

I still say that for me the most beneficial thing about doing the low carbs shit is that it removes so many options.

Yesterday I was in the office and someone bought in donuts, crisps, chocolates and caked (no idea what the occasion was) but I didn't indulge in any of it, way back when I was watching my weight before I would have said to myself "go on, you were good yesterday, you can have a donut, and just go and snaffle a shit load of crisps and you can make up for it tomorrow" the fact that I can't even have a sneaky packet of hula hoops has been the main thing for me, I think, that and completely knocking the takeaways and lager on the head. The fact it is so restrictive is actually a major bonus for me.

Well done mate. Do you have a target of where you want to get to? 

Also are you never going to allow yourself any treats? Or will you when you get to target?

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well done mate. Do you have a target of where you want to get to? 

Also are you never going to allow yourself any treats? Or will you when you get to target?

I haven't got an overall target, I'm just boing 7lbs at a time.

And I treated meself today, Greggs breakfast and a phat Indian tonight, back on it and back in the gym tomorrow

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

That’s top work ! Resisting temptation around you is really paying off ! 👏👏

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody ever used a personal trainer and would you recommend it?

Not one in person, but I’m using one online. Basically following an initial call, they devised a nutrition plan for me, then send me 3 workouts a week (2 gym based and 1 from home). You have to log your food and progression, and do a weekly form to them. Then about once a month you have a call with your coach (who also texts regularly). It’s been brilliant for me, firstly I had clue what to do in a gym, but following these routines I’m really starting to get some definition. I’ve lost nearly 40lbs (having probably put in at least 10 in muscle). The most important for me was the accountability. I couldn’t face telling them how much I was overreating and not losing weight. So it’s been great. Nearly at my target weight now. Then they alter your programme to do a maintenance plan to stop you putting weight back on. 
It wasn’t cheap but I would highly recommend them. Happy to give you details if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not one in person, but I’m using one online. Basically following an initial call, they devised a nutrition plan for me, then send me 3 workouts a week (2 gym based and 1 from home). You have to log your food and progression, and do a weekly form to them. Then about once a month you have a call with your coach (who also texts regularly). It’s been brilliant for me, firstly I had clue what to do in a gym, but following these routines I’m really starting to get some definition. I’ve lost nearly 40lbs (having probably put in at least 10 in muscle). The most important for me was the accountability. I couldn’t face telling them how much I was overreating and not losing weight. So it’s been great. Nearly at my target weight now. Then they alter your programme to do a maintenance plan to stop you putting weight back on. 
It wasn’t cheap but I would highly recommend them. Happy to give you details if needed.

Good on you mate. If you could DM me details I’ll look in to it. I feel like the accountability part could be a big factor for me as I tend to procrastinate a lot, e.g I’ll start next Monday.  10 years later….

• Like 1

An online PT can definitely work, they'll help with putting together and refining your routines, help you set and meet your goals, plus the accountability factor. I've never bothered because I get properly nerdy about reading about routines, tracking my stats, etc, they're not essential by any means but they can make the difference for some, and it sounds like you'd benefit.

Depending on what kind of exercises you are interested in and your experience level, I would consider an in person PT even if it's just a handful of sessions before moving to an online one. One of the things an online pt can't do as easily is coach on your form. You can film yourself and get feedback at the next session, but you can't beat having real time feedback and refining your technique from set to set.

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2024 at 13:12, leemond2008 said:

I managed to drag my sorry ass back to the gym this morning, felt good to be in there again even if I didn't do a fat lot, it was more about just getting back on the hoss today more than anything.

Same again tomorrow I reckon.

Kaizen is an excellent strategy for easing yourself into regular workouts.

Resist the temptation to over do it by restricting yourself to one set of light weights or easy cardio.

Kaizen is the Japanese system of making small incremental improvements.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2024 at 08:52, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody ever used a personal trainer and would you recommend it?

Yes, I have a weekly session at our local gym, and it's great. I run three or four times a week now, and in the PT session she mainly works on cardio/core/leg stuff to help with the running. I find with a PT I do much more than I would by myself, because as soon as something starts to be difficult I usually just stop if left to my own devices! I was about 18 stone at the start of 2020, and then lost about four stone, before putting most of it back on again. Now I'm back down to about 13st 10lb, through a combination of eating well, cutting back on drink, and running a fair bit. I can knock out a sub 25 minute 5K now, which isn't too bad for a 52 year old, but I want to get down to about 22 mins if poss. Am doing a half marathon in London in April as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â