Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

One of my favourite YouTube fitness channels has released a video on Keto today, which seemed.good timing based off this chat:

Very knowledgeable guy and doesn't have a lot of the BS you get with other influencers (does push his app/training programs but not too much). Can be quite funny too. 

He covers why keto is good for weight loss, some of the issues people face and how you can exit it without undoing all the good work.

I'd recommend giving it a watch (plus any of his other videos which catch your eye).

Thanks ill give this a watch later. I like dr berg he really knows his shit

• Like 1

Today is the day, going round my mates today, this means that beer will be drunk and food with be ate, there isn't really any getting away from it, I'm not going to go round there like "oh no I couldn't drink a can of lager, it will go straight to my hips" or "oh my, food, absolutely not, just think of all those icky carbs" 

It shouldn't be too bad though, its won't be a monumental session, I'll probably end up having about 6 cans, and I'll just have to go along with whatever the food is.

I'll be bang on it again tomorrow though and I don't have any excuses to deviate again until Christmas dinner so I'll just get myself back on the hoss. 

Been following this guy on Twitter for a while and his advice really works 

Basically his view is that people don’t do anywhere near enough light intensity exercise - walking, standing up, moving your body around - and don’t keep their stress levels low enough, don’t schedule enough rest into their lives.

If you can do a couple of hours a day of just moving around, and then one day a week where you’re on the move for a good 4-6 hours, your body starts to adapt, and becomes better at burning fat.

Basically you need to kill the sedentary lifestyle, and then add a small amount of more intense exercise (weights, cardio) on top of that.

He also stresses the importance of doing exercise you actually enjoy, rather than always seeing it as a punishment for overeating.

Anyway, I’ve been trying to do that for the last 6 mths or so, and without paying too much attention to my diet, am finding it much easier to stay in shape and not feel beaten up by the more intense exercise regime I was trying to follow before. Sleeping better, generally happier.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Well its been nearly a month and I'm down by 17lbs (I initially thought it was more but I was going off what I weighed at my heaviest, I'd managed to lose a few lbs before I started taking it really seriously, I'd say I've lost 20lbs in the last 2 months) 

17lbs in 4 weeks (on Friday) though man, I'm pretty damn chuffed with that, my next milestone is to drop another 3lbs and then I am gunna treat myself to some fish and chips from the chippy.

So far the only times I've deviated has been on a Friday night with my curry, but I've sacked off the naan and am having a chicken madras and saag paneer with rice, I don't think that is actually too bad, @Demitri_C you seem clued up on this shit, maybe you can let me know just how bad that is for a once a week treat, I've also had one Greggs breakfast and I had a few beers and a bacon and sausage sarnie when I went round me pals house, other than that though I've stuck to it rigidly, for a whole month I think that's not too bad.

Firstly well done lee mate 👏👏 thats great. I mean in terms of stone how much you weigh now, and what is your ideal weight you want to be?

I mean whatever you seem to be doing is working for you (but i think alot of this probably water weight when you lose so much so quickly so you may hit a walk soon if u take breaks)

I think lee my challenge to you, is could you perhaps stick to it for 6 weeks as in no beer or bad food until week of xmas? See how much u lose and how healthy you feel? As come xmas it will be a bloodbath for food! So if you bave lost a shit load a couple days of eating well wont do too much harm?

On another note on keto your allowed bacon and sausages so you dont need to give them up, just the breads pasta rice etc as well as the sugary stuff.

I know its hard but try stay off the beer as its terrible for your progress!

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Been following this guy on Twitter for a while and his advice really works 

Basically his view is that people don’t do anywhere near enough light intensity exercise - walking, standing up, moving your body around - and don’t keep their stress levels low enough, don’t schedule enough rest into their lives.

If you can do a couple of hours a day of just moving around, and then one day a week where you’re on the move for a good 4-6 hours, your body starts to adapt, and becomes better at burning fat.

Basically you need to kill the sedentary lifestyle, and then add a small amount of more intense exercise (weights, cardio) on top of that.

He also stresses the importance of doing exercise you actually enjoy, rather than always seeing it as a punishment for overeating.

Anyway, I’ve been trying to do that for the last 6 mths or so, and without paying too much attention to my diet, am finding it much easier to stay in shape and not feel beaten up by the more intense exercise regime I was trying to follow before. Sleeping better, generally happier.

Thanks KV ill givw him a follow. He is spot on about the exercise. Thats why i try do a 2 mile walk every day to get body moving.

Imagine though if you did this and did a little bit of diet how you would feel?

• Like 1

Developed a hiatus hernia due to my GP prescribing me on pain killers due to an injury years ago so exercising the way I used to (weights) and heavy manual labor out of the question due to both medical problems. The weight started piling on after and the pressure on my hernia worsened so decided to cut sugar out completely and for the most part carbs (eat rice at least twice a week) lost just over 3 stone in 2 months started walking 5 a day which  was very difficult to begin with then started combining walks with running and now running 5 miles a day without breaking a sweat and I feel like I’m functioning much better. Still treat myself and family to takeaways weekly which is usually Indian or Jamaican  food because of the diet can be  a bit boring at times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks KV ill givw him a follow. He is spot on about the exercise. Thats why i try do a 2 mile walk every day to get body moving.

Imagine though if you did this and did a little bit of diet how you would feel?

Well I eat a healthy diet (most of the time) but it’s not a big conscious effort where I’m doing calorie counting etc. Just try to include plenty of vegetables in every meal and then you lose the urge to overeat carbs etc

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Firstly well done lee mate 👏👏 thats great. I mean in terms of stone how much you weigh now, and what is your ideal weight you want to be?

I mean whatever you seem to be doing is working for you (but i think alot of this probably water weight when you lose so much so quickly so you may hit a walk soon if u take breaks)

I think lee my challenge to you, is could you perhaps stick to it for 6 weeks as in no beer or bad food until week of xmas? See how much u lose and how healthy you feel? As come xmas it will be a bloodbath for food! So if you bave lost a shit load a couple days of eating well wont do too much harm?

On another note on keto your allowed bacon and sausages so you dont need to give them up, just the breads pasta rice etc as well as the sugary stuff.

I know its hard but try stay off the beer as its terrible for your progress!

Bacon and sausage is fine but sometimes you need it in between that bready goodness don't ya lol.

Xmas won't be too bad for me, it'll literally be Xmas eve and Xmas day and even then I won't be gorging on chocolate or anything like that, Xmas is a pretty low key affair for me.

A lot of it was definitely water weight, I lost an absolute **** ton in the first week, its tapered off already but its still coming down.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Well I eat a healthy diet (most of the time) but it’s not a big conscious effort where I’m doing calorie counting etc. Just try to include plenty of vegetables in every meal and then you lose the urge to overeat carbs etc

Thats exactly what i do. I have about half a plate of broccoli and carrots and other half will be meat of some kind. For dinner ill sub the veg for salad

I use my fitness pal but not for counting calories just to see fat/sugar for the day. Very handy app

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Bacon and sausage is fine but sometimes you need it in between that bready goodness don't ya lol.

Xmas won't be too bad for me, it'll literally be Xmas eve and Xmas day and even then I won't be gorging on chocolate or anything like that, Xmas is a pretty low key affair for me.

A lot of it was definitely water weight, I lost an absolute **** ton in the first week, its tapered off already but its still coming down.

Keep ot up whatever is working for just keep at it. One mistake people make is after time they stay same or lose a pound they think its not working but thats how much you should be realistically losing after all the water weight

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Keep ot up whatever is working for just keep at it. One mistake people make is after time they stay same or lose a pound they think its not working but thats how much you should be realistically losing after all the water weight

Yeah, I lost a shed load of weight before lockdown as well, was doing really well but then, as we know, I wasn't allowed to see anyone other than justeat or uber eats drivers so they became my best pals and it stayed that way until recently.

When I lost all of my timber before It was the same sort of thing so I'm fully prepared for the big slow down, as long as I can keep shifting a pound or 2 a week I'll be happy 

29 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah, I lost a shed load of weight before lockdown as well, was doing really well but then, as we know, I wasn't allowed to see anyone other than justeat or uber eats drivers so they became my best pals and it stayed that way until recently.

When I lost all of my timber before It was the same sort of thing so I'm fully prepared for the big slow down, as long as I can keep shifting a pound or 2 a week I'll be happy 

Im currently abit heavier than ive been in last two years ( two holidays back to back ine being a stag didng help) 11 stone 2 but nowhere near were i was when i was 12 stone 6. Being over 11 stone has pissed me  off.back in day i would not have cared but now whenever i go past 11 stone i am so determined to get back under 11 stone. 

Motivation is key ans mindset. Sounds like you have the mindset so you are half way there

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats exactly what i do. I have about half a plate of broccoli and carrots and other half will be meat of some kind. For dinner ill sub the veg for salad

I use my fitness pal but not for counting calories just to see fat/sugar for the day. Very handy app

Yeah maybe my difference is I'm happy to eat a decent portion of carbs with most meals... although I cut back a bit on carbs if I haven't exercised much that day or the previous day. But I try to do it all without too much conscious effort or keeping track of my intake. Combine that with plenty of movement and a regular gym routine, and I'm in the best shape I've been in, without feeling like I'm working hard for it.

Other tricks that help - bowl of soup before a main meal. Eating the healthiest bit of the meal (veg, salad, whatever) before you start on the meat and carbs. Drinking more water.

And really prioritising your sleep. Take it seriously, invest in it.

• Like 1

After a period of ill health a couple of years ago, I’ve knuckled down a bit this year and have never felt better. Two stone down (a third of my target), working out two or three times a week and I’m finally enjoying it. 
The biggest realisation was that I wasn’t going to lose weight in the gym, I’d lose it in the kitchen. I get meals and snacks from muscle foods and it’s really started to work. You basically choose meal types working to a calorie limit per day. It’s protein heavy but crucially (for me) low in fat and sugar. The snacks are good enough that I’m able to con my brain into thinking I’m having treats. 

50 years old and I’m in the best shape for probably 20 years. Still a ways to go yet and I don’t completely deprive myself of the the occasional meal out (1 treat meal per week but still trying to not go too mad). It all feels like good reward for not very much effort so far. Suspect the rest of the weight will take a long while to shift but I’m going to try and push on to achieve it.  

Edited by choffer
typoze
  • Like 1

I've started doing Keto from Saturday, just to get a bit healthier and probably need to lose a stone. Is there a come down from carbs, cause I feel rotton and have no energy. I have read this can last for up to 2 weeks from starting on Keto, anyone else experience this.

9 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Well its been nearly a month and I'm down by 17lbs (I initially thought it was more but I was going off what I weighed at my heaviest, I'd managed to lose a few lbs before I started taking it really seriously, I'd say I've lost 20lbs in the last 2 months) 

17lbs in 4 weeks (on Friday) though man, I'm pretty damn chuffed with that, my next milestone is to drop another 3lbs and then I am gunna treat myself to some fish and chips from the chippy.

So far the only times I've deviated has been on a Friday night with my curry, but I've sacked off the naan and am having a chicken madras and saag paneer with rice, I don't think that is actually too bad, @Demitri_C you seem clued up on this shit, maybe you can let me know just how bad that is for a once a week treat, I've also had one Greggs breakfast and I had a few beers and a bacon and sausage sarnie when I went round me pals house, other than that though I've stuck to it rigidly, for a whole month I think that's not too bad.

Great work and effort.

I’m similar. Overall, 23 lbs loss, but 4 of those before I really started the diet. I started 16 October, first week I lost a lot, but at a more reasonable 2lbs ish a week. 
Belly is looking a lot slimmer, clothes are looser and majority of times not feeling as hungry. 
Also according to my Fitbit my resting heart rate has dropped from 74 to 60, which is great and just goes to show how much stress being overweight puts on your body. 

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've started doing Keto from Saturday, just to get a bit healthier and probably need to lose a stone. Is there a come down from carbs, cause I feel rotton and have no energy. I have read this can last for up to 2 weeks from starting on Keto, anyone else experience this.

You get the keto flu on day 5-7, in my experience it only last a couple of days and that’s when you enter ketosis and start to feel great. If anything you’ll have too much energy at times, not being able to get to sleep and waking up at 5am for example.

After a couple of weeks you realize how much your hunger is dictated by the ups and downs of sugar and carbs, you start to eat because you need to not because of food cravings, it’s quite a strange feeling.

Ive just started day 1 of keto again myself. Gonna do 5-6 weeks then indulge over Christmas.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 21:00, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m overweight according to my BMI, but isn’t that a load of bollocks anyway? 

It's absolute garbage. At my fittest I was classed as obese, I weighed 14 1/2 stone but looked 12 stone. I just have heavy bones and have a skull like Homer Simpson. I sink like a stone in water and was always a slow runner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Drop me a PM if you need advice  mate 

• Thanks 1

Â