Formula One - 2021

BOF

1 minute ago, tinker said:

The safety car would have had to do another lap and the race would have finished , as it has historically.

Sorry, but what would have taken so much longer with releasing the first lapped cars over all of them? The cars are all in a chain. Were they all spread out over half the circuit?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If Masi gets his action together he tells all the cars to unlap themselves, the race restarts, Max goes past Lewis and that’s that.

I imagine thats the way the FIA will argue it, it was a mess, but the result would have been the same if he’d have called for all unlapped cars to unlap themselves. 

They wouldn't have had time. Race would have ended under a safety car and Lewis would have won

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They wouldn't have had time. Race would have ended under a safety car and Lewis would have won

I’m imagining them all in a snake like this, all lapped cars could have pulled out and over taken the safety car couldn’t they? 
drivers-drive-behind-a-safety-car-as-an-
Unless the snake was unusually long and spread out? 

Just read on another forum that the two teams and the race director had agreed before the race that it should finish under a green flag rather than a safety car if at all possible. Doesn't make the decision any better unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Just read on another forum that the two teams and the race director had agreed before the race that it should finish under a green flag rather than a safety car if at all possible. Doesn't make the decision any better unfortunately.

I guess that applies to all races doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What has been said about Max (momentarily) over taking Lewis under the safety car?

It’s a tiny infringement but the FIA usually likes to punish them. 

This protest was rejected by FIA. Mercedes aren't appealing this.

Took nearly 4 hours after Mercedes protest for the FIA to say no

I bet during those hours they were going through the rule book looking for a sub paragraph which would say they were right to do what they did.....

Today felt like Michael Masi wanted to create a perfect end for the drive to survive series

And Christian Horner, a massive bell end as ever.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m imagining them all in a snake like this, all lapped cars could have pulled out and over taken the safety car couldn’t they? 
drivers-drive-behind-a-safety-car-as-an-
Unless the snake was unusually long and spread out? 

The back markers have to get WAY round the track. They're supposed to get all the way around and join the back of the snake. If all they did was get ahead of the safety car then there is a reasonable chance the race leaders will have a big line of traffic to negotiate pretty much immediately. It effectively defeats the purpose of letting the lapped cars unlap themselves.

You can't release them earlier either, as it would not be safe to have them whizzing around the track at the sorts of speeds they need to do to get back into the queue. If it was safe enough to go through the crash zone under yellow flags then the safety car didn't need to be out there in the first place.

The rules as they are make sense for lots of good reasons. 

Changing the rules on the last lap of the last race blew my mind. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Straggler said:

The back markers have to get WAY round the track. They're supposed to get all the way around and join the back of the snake. If all they did was get ahead of the safety car then there is a reasonable chance the race leaders will have a big line of traffic to negotiate pretty much immediately. It effectively defeats the purpose of letting the lapped cars unlap themselves.

You can't release them earlier either, as it would not be safe to have them whizzing around the track at the sorts of speeds they need to do to get back into the queue. If it was safe enough to go through the crash zone under yellow flags then the safety car didn't need to be out there in the first place.

The rules as they are make sense for lots of good reasons. 

Changing the rules on the last lap of the last race blew my mind. 

They released the first 5, but there were another 3 just behind them in the pack. I’m still unsure why it would have taken significantly longer to release all 8 rather than just 5. They’d have just raced around the track in a bunch of 8 cars. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Toto Wolff has really come across terrible in all of this shenanigans. Whether its right or wrong his Mourinho like behavior today has been embarrassing

What behaviour today? I saw a five second clip of him losing his shit, which we all do when Villa are wronged, but what else did he do?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I remember it differently. I thought the entire field was behind the safety car not half the number.

If they were not behind the Safety car where were they?

Yes, all cars in a line behind the safety car. They are jumbled up as back markers out of position. 
I don’t understand why releasing releasing 8 Instead of 5 would have taken significantly longer. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They released the first 5, but there were another 3 just behind them in the pack. I’m still unsure why it would have taken significantly longer to release all 8 rather than just 5. They’d have just raced around the track in a bunch of 8 cars. 

I think it was because there was so little left of the lap and if they'd let all 8 go the SC may have passed the pit entry before the 8th one was past and that would mean the last lap would have to be under SC and we wouldn't have had the racing lap

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Thanks 1

They knew what they were doing all along,  Verstappen was always going to be given the title yesterday.  Gets F1 in the news more than if Lewis had won it.

One driver has to go past 5 cars on old tires during race conditions,  one driver has them moved for him on newer tires.  

I had to endure the race with Dutch commentary yesterday.  Even they thought it was weird.  Yes they celebrated,  but I can see it in their eyes they know it's tarnished.

Imagine if it was the other way around and Lewis won it that way.  He would have got hammered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Which with a 14 second lead he absolutely should have done and deserved to. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What behaviour today? I saw a five second clip of him losing his shit, which we all do when Villa are wronged, but what else did he do?

difference being we dont have our livelihood linked to it...

even ignoring the career part what kind of bonus / remuneration do you think he / his team / lewis lost yesterday? 

im surprised the reaction to "we went car racing" wasnt way worse

I think Toto dealt with it in a fairly professional manner, there were time constraints after the race to get to fighting the injustice, spice boy Horner on the other hand showed zero class.

Toto will speak at some point, just wish he sounded more like Daniel Farke, just for the extra laughs.

• Like 1