Formula One - 2021

BOF

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

difference being we dont have our livelihood linked to it...

even ignoring the career part what kind of bonus / remuneration do you think he / his team / lewis lost yesterday? 

im surprised the reaction to "we went car racing" wasnt way worse

Agree with all of this. I'd have absolutely lost my shit at Masi's "this is motor racing" comment.

Which I guess is why there were zero Merc interviews post-race. Which, again, is why i was confused by Zatman's comment about Wolff's behaviour today. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m imagining them all in a snake like this, all lapped cars could have pulled out and over taken the safety car couldn’t they? 
drivers-drive-behind-a-safety-car-as-an-
Unless the snake was unusually long and spread out? 

The cars are meant to unload themselves and then do a full lap and join the back of the queue. 

Plus it was right at the end of the penultimate lap so there was a chance that even if they hadn’t done that, they still wouldn’t have had time to get the safety car in

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

What behaviour today? I saw a five second clip of him losing his shit, which we all do when Villa are wronged, but what else did he do?

Wasn't he asking for no safety car during the race as well. Apparently he also refused to shake Red Bull hands at the end and at least Hamilton showed respect even if you can tell he was fuming inside

Its not Red Bull fault 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wasn't he asking for no safety car during the race as well. Apparently he also refused to shake Red Bull hands at the end and at least Hamilton showed respect even if you can tell he was fuming inside

Its not Red Bull fault 

It was not RB fault but Horner only wanted to shake Toto's hand as a delaying tactic, might have tried to keep him talking instead of letting him lodge the appeal on time.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It was not RB fault but Horner only wanted to shake Toto's hand as a delaying tactic, might have tried to keep him talking instead of letting him lodge the appeal on time.

Horner is a smug clearing in the woods as well 

• Like 2

As for what happens now its hard to take the title from Verstappen since he didnt do anything wrong. The only option for the FIA or court is probably to call the race as it happened or declare it null and void 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Horner is a smug clearing in the woods as well 

Yes, he was also applying the pressure on Masi “we just need 1 racing lap” as he knew it was like taking sweets from a baby due to the extremely fortunate pit stop they got.

Horner knows the officials royally **** that ending up but hasn’t said a word, in fact he said they made the right decision. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

As for what happens now its hard to take the title from Verstappen since he didnt do anything wrong. The only option for the FIA or court is probably to call the race as it happened or declare it null and void 

I think they’d have to say the restart wasn’t legal. There wasn’t time to do it properly and the race would have finished behind the safety car. The result is the standings for the lap before behind the safety car. That’s my honest opinion, not a #teamlewis opinion.

Masi should be sacked and and the FIA fined  or at the bare minimum apologise to the teams and the fans for creating a farce. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think they’d have to say the restart wasn’t legal. There wasn’t time to do it properly and the race would have finished behind the safety car. The result is the standings for the lap before behind the safety car. That’s my honest opinion, not a #teamlewis opinion.

Masi should be sacked and and the FIA fined  or at the bare minimum apologise to the teams and the fans for creating a farce. 

This is the result has it should have been and would comform to the FIA rules and regs. You cannot fanny about with rules at will, Masi is either bent or he just got flustered under the pressure and did what he thought was right for all concerned, pure incompetence under pressure for me. They will let it stand and compensate Mercedes.

9 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

They will let it stand and compensate Mercedes.

The other issue is Lewis, will he want to take his own legal action? He’s been robbed of being the outright most successful F1 champion of all time. 
He would probably have retired off the back of it.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Lewis Hamilton has had the title taken away from him when he didn't do anything wrong.  I don't understand this logic. It's not about a driver or tram doing anything wrong, it's about an illegal restart.  

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The other issue is Lewis, will he want to take his own legal action? He’s been robbed of being the outright most successful F1 champion of all time. 
He would probably have retired off the back of it.

Just now, sidcow said:

Lewis Hamilton has had the title taken away from him when he didn't do anything wrong.  I don't understand this logic. It's not about a driver or tram doing anything wrong, it's about an illegal restart.  

Max was given an unfair advantage, he obviously took it, Lewis should be fuming and if I'm him, I'm take legal action. Maybe the whole thing was staged in the knowledge that Lewis would probably retire and leave the sport with a dominant driver without competition and now they are left with possibly the most anticipated season ever to come.

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Paradoxically this is all fantastic for f1....and Lewis Hamilton!

I’m not sure, I think a lot of people will have become disillusioned with it all. It’s a bit like VAR meddling in football. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Paradoxically this is all fantastic for f1....and Lewis Hamilton!

I know the "no publicity is bad publicity" line is often trotted out but I don't think it's true at all.

Boxing for example had issues with dodgy decisions and accusations of fixing and it's popularity has seen a steady decline for years now.

As others have said to be a pure sport the public has to believe there is fair competition or they'll just turn off eventually.  F1 has already got a severe problem with lack of competition and predictability of race outcomes, if you add fixing into that many fans will wonder why to bother anymore, some on there have already expressed that sentiment.

• Like 2

Part of me feels sorry for Masi as I expect he would have got battered if the "greatest season ever" finished with the field trundling behind the safety car. That said, it doesn't mean you can just make it up as you go along, this is a major cock up, including the reaction afterwards, they have basically admitted to making it up.

I'm sure Verstappen and Horner have both convinced themselves that the title was down to their amazing skills. This is literally the worst title ever, it would be more satisfactory if Verstappen had piled into Hamilton at turn one on lap one. Imagine being the guy who won the title that nobody beyond those around you and the uneducated think that you won.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure, I think a lot of people will have become disillusioned with it all. It’s a bit like VAR meddling in football. 

Bingo on this one.  I was watching with my 2 sons, this is the first season they have watched.  My eldest literally asked what the point was of watching the season if this could happen.  He walked out of the room before the race finished.  He may be back for next season or he may not, but I suspect not. If this race had finished under the normal rules I can guarantee we would have all been counting the days down to the start of next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Bingo on this one.  I was watching with my 2 sons, this is the first season they have watched.  My eldest literally asked what the point was of watching the season if this could happen.  He walked out of the room before the race finished.  He may be back for next season or he may not, but I suspect not. If this race had finished under the normal rules I can guarantee we would have all been counting the days down to the start of next season.

Similar story, my lad (11) really got into F1 the last half a dozen races and was really looking forward to the finale.

He was really angry with the outcome and said what a waste of time it was. 

• Like 1