Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

Ryan.

5 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Sir, are you insinuating that an American group of ubercapitalists would go into an economically depressed area, buy up public assets and/or other properties at at tremendous discount due to said depressions, collect favourable tax status after tax status upon same based upon promises of development and The Public Good, and then cynically turn those parcels of land into whatever will maximize profits over the well-beings of the town from which they acquired those assets?

I'm sure the competent local council, with an excellent track record of managing finances and protecting public assets has thoroughly investigated this matter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

They only manage around 9 billion in total assets. They are valued at 3 billion. They aren't going spend 30 percent of their portfolio on a football stadium, which will be half empty.

Tony Xia / theme park vibes here.

As @useless points out, the plan is *not* just for a stadium, but for a mixed-use development including other potential revenue streams, most obviously housing. Whether it all pencils out I don't know, but they're not spending £2-3bn on a stadium for a Championship club and nothing else. 

41 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I'm sure the competent local council, with an excellent track record of managing finances and protecting public assets has thoroughly investigated this matter. 

Of this I've no doubt. I mean, these peoples' names will certainly be engraved on a brass plaque placed at the cornerstone of development, thus cementing their position/importance for centuries, and in return for this slice of immortality and proximity to importance will have absolutely done their due diligence.

• Like 1

Just saw some of Wagner's interview about the new stadium, and he talks about the possibility of World Cup and NFL games being played there, which would mean a minimum of 40,000 capacity for the World Cup and 60,000 for the NFL games, but says they need to first put a product on the pitch to attract those kind of numbers, so seems a long way off to me.

Also this all seems a little back to front, surely they would be better off reaching the Premier League first, establishing themselves, and then going ahead with such plans, is it not the case that when clubs build new stadiums it cripples them in the transfer market for a couple of years, how are they going to spend billions on this project and at the same time build a team to justify it, that in itself would require hundrds up hundres of millions of pounds, probably close to a billion, to turn them into a team that could attract crowds approaching sixty thousand, would essentially take Manchester City level spending

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Just saw some of Wagner's interview about the new stadium, and he talks about the possibility of World Cup and NFL games being played there, which would mean a minimum of 40,000 capacity for the World Cup and 60,000 for the NFL games, but says they need to first put a product on the pitch to attract those kind of numbers, so seems a long way off to me.

Also this all seems a little back to front, surely they would be better off reaching the Premier League first, establishing themselves, and then going ahead with such plans, is it not the case that when clubs build new stadiums it cripples them in the transfer market for a couple of years, how are they going to spend billions on this project and at the same time build a team to justify it, that in itself would require hundrds up hundres of millions of pounds, probably close to a billion, to turn them into a team that could attract crowds approaching sixty thousand, would essentially take Manchester City level spending

I am struggling recalling an NFL expansion team going to a City that already had a stadium as a long-term solution as opposed to being in a stadium temporarily and wanting one built for purpose. London might be an exception due to Spurs/Wembley (though I doubt it, honestly, it is not the NFL's M.O. in any way).

All that to say, building a stadium and thinking you'll attract an NFL team to stay in it is absolutely the Shelbyville Monorail concept. The NFL is not knocking down doors to be in Birmingham. London, yes, Mexico City,  maybe, Berlin, I don't know. You also have American cities in front of you that might raise funds (Portland, San Antonio, Dallas is making noise about another team though I think that's political buffoonery).

And building a stadium on the hope it gets used in a World Cup? I'd tell you to do a Qatar and build it out of shipping containers so you can tear it down and send it elsewhere when that month is over.

Mate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, useless said:

It does seem absurd to imagine they might get NFL games (not much better than a 0% chance) and England won't be hosting a World Cup match until the 2040s or 2050s at the earliest, so that's also daft. I assume it's just hype and masala for the announcement. 

Let em’ build it. It has no relevance to us one bit. Be interesting to see how they try to fill it, and that’s not a dig. Very cheap tickets and a decent team would of course help.  

• Like 2

It’s pretty fantastical to imagine that a club that’s been in the championship for years, possibly being relegated to league 1, who don’t seem able to put a decent product on the pitch, who made a catastrophic managerial appointment a couple of months ago, who can’t fill their current stadium and recently paid an enormous amount to get it repaired to a state where it can fully open will all of a sudden build a new 60k stadium.

Personally I’m all for it. Let them bankrupt themselves building it.

I bet you it never happens though.

The figures just don't and won't ever add up on attendances that will top out every other week at 20k

I don't give a **** how many summers you get Sam Smith to wheel his lard arse out for some karaoke.

It's madness. 

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

So Knighthead have finally bought the 48 acre wheels site. Noses going crazy about their new stadium. 

It looks like an improvement already

K6d7cwb.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Im proper rattled tbf

I'm rattling more than this fella

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9528ej5gx0eano4plbd4f6

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

It looks like an improvement already

K6d7cwb.jpg

Damn it, now I’m truly rattled. They’ve only gone and built a fairground before us!  NSWE out.

Long term this could be a worry for us, not now but say 10-15 years if its ever built. If this plan works, the hedge fund will flip the club and with a ready built stadium could tempt major ownership

Short term in there current position its a bit laughable

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Funnily enough, they're the exact opposite of some of our fans. 5th in the league, European QF and an elite manager, and some fans think the world is imploding! :D 

We just don't have the PASHUN, they're proper football supporters

m8

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

£2-3 billion? Really! That's more than Spurs spent, more than Man Utd's new potential stadium, more than Real Madrid' stadium rebuild.    

Perhaps the announcer had a  heavy cold and it's really million. 😏

3 hours ago, useless said:

it's going to be a Mancehster City style development, so will also include things like training ground, academy building, possibly an additional ground for their women's team, hotels, restuarants, housing, and so on, all on the same site.

cb81f3ca-3eb2-4c6d-958c-582a515d582b_tex

Â