Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

I know its not in the rules, but I think it would fall under sporting etiquette that players are not allowed to carry light sabres onto the pitch.

I think we could get the football laws changed, just pull out a baby Yoda and say this is our first of two signings of next summer and next comes his father the Mandalorian.

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

If Ollie goes down the day after the window shuts, we are left without a chair to sit in. A striker has to be on the shopping list.

I assume the club would feel Traore and Davis are enough cover,  and doubt we have the budget to make a striker signing that would improve us, that is also happy to join us sit on the bench. Also,  touch wood,  Watkins has a decent injury record. 

Not realistic for me, but I agree we would be in trouble if he got injured very shortly after window closed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

I wonder what Edouard’s fee would be now and if we still hold an interest? 

Averaging a goal every other game in the league and Europe this season, don't think his value will have dropped in the slightest. Contract expiring in 2022 may see it come down in the summer.

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Averaging a goal every other game in the league and Europe this season, don't think his value will have dropped in the slightest. Contract expiring in 2022 may see it come down in the summer.

He must be absolutely desperate to get away from them.  They're a sinking ship and have no hope of picking up any silverware this season.

Couldn't happen to a better club.

hehehe GIF

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will be interesting to see how Leicester juggle it all when all their CBs are fit, Evans and Soynucu were pretty rock solid last season but Fofana come in and had a storming start.

Of course they have europa to give them all games and they also play 3-5-2 on occasions.

Actually think McGinn is the best example of this, will he be upgraded in next 12 months and so he's not an automatic starter anymore. We all love SJM but not sure he'll be a regular starter if we get to level of qualifying for europe.

Don't think Mings-Konsa will be changed anytime soon though.

You would expect firstly new signings added to LB and RB, then we may see an upgrade on McGinn (I think hed be okay with that as well but would fight for his place). We do need another striker despite Wesley coming back soon (lots of speculation that we may finally go for Tammy). I think another new Winger would be added at some point, someone who is really good off the bat because I must admit we are not having much luck with Wingers are we???

I just think that there are positions we need to reinforce or sort out first before, so CB is not a priority..

2 hours ago, troon_villan said:

He must be absolutely desperate to get away from them.  They're a sinking ship and have no hope of picking up any silverware this season.

Couldn't happen to a better club.

hehehe GIF

I wanted him instead of Watkins, I hope we look at him again in the summer with a year left on his deal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I assume the club would feel Traore and Davis are enough cover,  and doubt we have the budget to make a striker signing that would improve us, that is also happy to join us sit on the bench. Also,  touch wood,  Watkins has a decent injury record. 

Not realistic for me, but I agree we would be in trouble if he got injured very shortly after window closed.

We've needed a goal in last 15 minutes of last two games and Davis has been nowhere to be seen because well he's injured again. Was hoping this would be his make or break season but it's just going to be like the last two years, sub cameo every two months.

Traore could well play number 10 v Wolves so he'll be needed in other positions when we get an injury or two e.g out wide.

Simply no logical reason not to get another forward in January. We did actually get two in the last January window although shouldn't have bothered with Borja.

• Like 1

Expecting the same names to be regurgitated. Rashica, Sarr, Edouard by the press. I know we cannot keep raiding Brentford but I do like the look of Marcus Forrs.

Will Hughes is a name I expect to be linked, I’d throw Harry winks name into the hat also. always rated Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic. A January window of Ajer, Hughes and a striker would be nice... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Expecting the same names to be regurgitated. Rashica, Sarr, Edouard by the press. I know we cannot keep raiding Brentford but I do like the look of Marcus Forrs.

Will Hughes is a name I expect to be linked, I’d throw Harry winks name into the hat also. always rated Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic. A January window of Ajer, Hughes and a striker would be nice... 

Sarr and Eduoard would both improve our 11 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

seems like Weston McKennie is doing well In Germany......One I feel we missed.

Or perhaps we tried but the pull of juventus was too much? Would we overpower juventus in the transfer market? I highly doubt it. 

We can't say either way wether we missed him or he chose somebody else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Sangare should have been snapped up by us for the 9m he went to PSV for.

yeah, I have not studied him.....but seems on the right page, for us.

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I hope not, I mean I've not seen Traore in action as a striker yet but I'm in no rush to see him there either.

A striker for me should be abit of a priority, as we are one crap injury away from having striker scoring problems again if Watkins has some horror injury. For that reason alone I'm in favour of bringing another striker in as we should be making sure we can provide goals from a striker position all season round.

I would say we still need another winger, at the moment I'm not sold solid on Traore. I also dont hold my breath for Ghazi ever being a solid winger at Villa for the forseeable future. If I had my way Ghazi would be first out the door this january or in summer and someone of note signed in his place.

I would bring another solid midfielder in, who though i just dont know, but as a cheap quick option I'd buy Billing, as a more expensive option i dont know. The reason why is because Barcley has had an injury with us now and we need someone who can jump in soon as Barkley, Luiz, McGinn gets injured. Someone may say Conor is enough, well no I dont think he is if we can pick better up, he lit the championship on fire abit with free kicks and so on but hasn't displayed that in the premier, we need someone with the good now I'm afraid.

Same with Target, hes good but really one injury to him and were back to Taylor. We need depth at LB as much as we do RB (which is what annoys me about the Guilbert situation), hes very capable and fast at getting the ball to the final third. Same could be said about CB and how we have Hause or Engels to cover for Konsa and Mings, really we need someone again of Note who can bring there A game and command that area so we do not keep letting in howlers as we have been again recently.l, so yes I'd certainly be down for another CB.

Point blank is we have depth problems all over the pitch that can be helped by the right choice here and there. We can actually buy some decent players for cheap for certain positions all while spending a fair bit to other areas. Winger is certainly a place I'd spend abit at and I'd probablystill go and bring Beundia in. RB we have a simpler option in Guilbert who's in Limbo so we dont have to spend there. Midfield could throw a small amount at the situation for short term depth like Billing as it doesnt have to be forever just a quick fix till summer and 10-15 mill is nothing is it ( especially since Billing can play striker as well), we may be surprised by his performances.

We should see we have choices for cheap alternative options for january, they are there and I'm sure we are already building if not already built a list of players for depth..

Edited by Dave-R

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I hope not, I mean I've not seen Traore in action as a striker yet but I'm in no rush to see him there either.

A striker for me should be abit of a priority, as we are one crap injury away from having striker scoring problems again if Watkins has some horror injury. For that reason alone I'm in favour of bringing another striker in as we should be making sure we can provide goals from a striker position all season round.

I would say we still need another winger, at the moment I'm not sold solid on Traore. I also dont hold my breath for Ghazi ever being a solid winger at Villa for the forseeable future. If I had my way Ghazi would be first out the door this january or in summer and someone of note signed in his place.

I would bring another solid midfielder in, who though i just dont know, but as a cheap quick option I'd buy Billing, as a more expensive option i dont know. The reason why is because Barcley has had an injury with us now and we need someone who can jump in soon as Barkley, Luiz, McGinn gets injured. Someone may say Conor is enough, well no I dont think he is if we can pick better up, he lit the championship on fire abit with free kicks and so on but hasn't displayed that in the premier, we need someone with the good now I'm afraid.

Same with Target, hes good but really one injury to him and were back to Taylor. We need depth at LB as much as we do RB (which is what annoys me about the Guilbert situation), hes very capable and fast at getting the ball to the final third. Same could be said about CB and how we have Hause or Engels to cover for Konsa and Mings, really we need someone again of Note who can bring there A game and command that area so we do not keep letting in howlers as we have been again recently.l, so yes I'd certainly be down for another CB.

Point blank is we have depth problems all over the pitch that can be helped by the right choice here and there. We can actually buy some decent players for cheap for certain positions all while spending a fair bit to other areas. Winger is certainly a place I'd spend abit at and I'd probablystill go and bring Beundia in. RB we have a simpler option in Guilbert who's in Limbo so we dont have to spend there. Midfield could throw a small amount at the situation for short term depth like Billing as it doesnt have to be forever just a quick fix till summer and 10-15 mill is nothing is it ( especially since Billing can play striker as well), we may be surprised by his performances.

We should see we have choices for cheap alternative options for january, they are there and I'm sure we are already building if not already built a list of players for depth..

I agree with all your summary about lack of depth across the field, but disagree on what is most critical.  Hause is a worse back up centre back than Traore is a back up winger. I dont know if he's a worse centre back than traore is a centre forward, but records suggest he probably is. And my aforementioned point about getting a good enough striker that meets the following criteria is why I don't think we'll get one:

- they have to be better than Traore and Davis

- they have to be happy joining for a starting position on the bench

- they have to be available for no more than 20m (at a guess).

We are a work in progress and hopefully we'll strengthen in January,  but it isn't the end of the world if we don't, and I'd rather we didn't waste money on a £15m striker that doesn't improve us and likely won't play, or won't be any better than the backup options we have

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I can't agree on cheap options, it's the last thing we should do. We should just wait until the right players are available for whatever budget we have at a given time.

• Like 2