Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

The club will know this. I reckon centre half cover will be the priority for January. 

I wonder if as a worst case scenario Cash could play there. He does read the game very well.

Think we might see Elmo there again before that happens, but who knows. Hopefully we won't have to find out :D 

On 18/11/2020 at 13:15, deeps said:

We really need a CB if we can get one in, for cover. We won’t go 38 games with Ezri and Mings. If we can get a CB and a forward thinking player too I’d be happy.

I don't get this.  I think Engels and Hause are decent cover.  I am much more concerned if Jack, Barkley or SJM were to pick up an injury.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not so sure. 

Can't think of many teams PL that has worse cover than us at CB. Engels has more or less been out for close to a year now for whatever reasons, 3 appearances since December and Hause is mid table Championship, if that.

Elmo is 3rd choice at CB from the look of it.

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Can't think of many teams PL that has worse cover than us at CB. Engels has more or less been out for close to a year now for whatever reasons, 3 appearances since December and Hause is mid table Championship, if that.

Don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly happy to see upgrades arrive, I just see more urgency in the cover for no. 8 and no. 10/11 positions if we are spending in January. 

Just now, barry'sboots said:

Don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly happy to see upgrades arrive, I just see more urgency in the cover for no. 8 and no. 10/11 positions if we are spending in January. 

Will be interesting to see if our owners are up for spending big again in January because we'll have to if we want to maintain a challenge for the top-10. Our squad is just not strong enough outside the starting 11.

But I full get if we don't spend big because they've already spent so much. Do think that 1 real quality player in or a couple smart squad options could make a huge difference for the second half of the season.

Obviously can't afford to lose any of our key players.

30 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Harry winks as an upgrade for Nakamba and competition for luiz ?! 

England international with 4 years left on his contract. Think he might be a bit steep, especially from Spurs. 

For that type of money you could get Isco, Aouar, Szoboszlai and so on from the continent. Provided they'd agree to come here which of course is pretty much no chance :D 

10 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My expectations are low around the window, priority for spending would be to lock down barkley first i assume. This is the challenge with loan deals, the next 30-40m we spend will be on a player who's playing for us, in theory it wont improve us.

If we go down that route I hope we also bring in a couple new loans because the squad is still wafer thin.

Winks IMO opinion would be a great signing who would add much needed depth in quality & a further option to add & mix things up in midfield. His ball retention is class and can pick a pass. Luiz is class but until start of season 21/22 when the clause expires😬🤔🤞🏻. Barkley with no option yet to buy.  A loan to buy in January would make a lot of sense for me.... A somewhat lazy opinion based on Lange’s links  I can see us going for the CB Nelsson at Copenhagen again and poss the young RW Daramy as well but loan him back. Very interested to see Mckenzie’s and Lange’s targets & direction!

16 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it would be ideal if we could pick up a championship talent in the Konsa mould so to speak. 

As a short term option Will Hughes would be alright I think.

Loads of experience despite still being mid 20s. Had a good season last year despite Watford's relegation and worked with Shakey. Can play deep midfield or more forward and obvious upgrade on Lansbury and probably Hourihane.

Of course not a signing to propel us into top 4 but the sort that keeps improving squad and first 11 which we did well (for once) in the summer.

He was mentioned a bit on here in the summer as possible target and the sort of tempo midfielder DS likes given he tried it two years back with Tom Carroll who was similar type and Ryan Woods of course at his previous club.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Winks offers nothing. He can’t get in the Spurs team for a reason. Poor man’s Joe Allen. 

Agree with this completely. Don’t see what he offers looks a less aggressive version of David batty always going sideways and backwards. Also as a player that can’t get in Spurs side at all at the moment we would get the levy approach of he isn’t good enough for us but as he has played for Spurs you should pay £50 million. I don’t think we will pay it but some team will maybe a Brighton or West Ham when they sell rice 

On 20/11/2020 at 01:09, barry'sboots said:

I don't get this.  I think Engels and Hause are decent cover.  I am much more concerned if Jack, Barkley or SJM were to pick up an injury.

Me too. I feel like Engels has been given a rough ride by a lot of our fans. His injury problems do seem a worry, but forgetting 3-4 bad games he had last season, for the first 2 and a bit months of the season he looked solid and everyone was raving about the ‘Mingels’ partnership and there was talk of him getting into the Belgium set-up.

For a while he became our defences scapegoat. Just like Reina was after he had 2 bad games..... then Project Restart came along and soon everyone loved Reina again.

Engels isn’t a bad player (but his constant injuries are looking a worry), and Hause is fine for a squad option, imo.

• Like 1