Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

On 20/11/2020 at 09:37, barry'sboots said:

Don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly happy to see upgrades arrive, I just see more urgency in the cover for no. 8 and no. 10/11 positions if we are spending in January. 

I'm not used to referring to positions by numbers, but I doubt I agree here. You mean a box to box and a winger alternative?

I'd argue McGinn can more easily be covered by Hourihane and Nakamba, than Mings can be covered by Engels and Hause. A good team is built from the back.

Ideally we need some better cover for Grealish, but I'd much prefer moving Davis in on right way for Trez than Hause in for Konsa or Mings. 

A CB is imperative in January/Summer either way. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Me too. I feel like Engels has been given a rough ride by a lot of our fans. His injury problems do seem a worry, but forgetting 3-4 bad games he had last season, for the first 2 and a bit months of the season he looked solid and everyone was raving about the ‘Mingels’ partnership and there was talk of him getting into the Belgium set-up.

For a while he became our defences scapegoat. Just like Reina was after he had 2 bad games..... then Project Restart came along and soon everyone loved Reina again.

Engels isn’t a bad player (but his constant injuries are looking a worry), and Hause is fine for a squad option, imo.

I agree that Engels has looked decent at certain times and he may also benefit from two factors:

1. He will now have settled, having lived here for 18 months and adjusted to his team mates and the country.
  2. He will be coming back into a much better side and a settled back 6 (including Emi and Dougie).
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not used to referring to positions by numbers, but I doubt I agree here. You mean a box to box and a winger alternative?

I'd argue McGinn can more easily be covered by Hourihane and Nakamba, than Mings can be covered by Engels and Hause. A good team is built from the back.

Ideally we need some better cover for Grealish, but I'd much prefer moving Davis in on right way for Trez than Hause in for Konsa or Mings. 

A CB is imperative in January/Summer either way. 

You are right in what I mean and also that we are a million miles apart.

I have commented above on Engels.  I also think CBs are less likely to get tired than, say, SJM, particularly as he is not getting a break for internationals like Konsa, and to a lesser extent Mings, are.  Admittedly, injuries can occur, but, as I say, I appear to have more faith in Engels than you.

Hourihane and Nakamba, imho, can not cover for SJM.  Hourihane is just not dynamic enough in that role and Nakambe is a proper defensive CM'er from what I have seen.  Ramsey may be more suited but I certainly haven't seen enough of him to make that call.  We saw what a hole SJM leaves when he was injured both in the last Championship season (before his return and the 10 game winning run) and last season.

A wide pairing of Trez and Davis/AEG is a massive downgrade on what we currently have!!  We also do not have cover for Barkley.  If we were to get the much mooted Rashica, he covers three positions - 7, 10 & 11 - and if not 10 he could play 11 and we could shift Jack to 10 if Barkley was injured/needed a rest/we play Chelsea.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

A wide pairing of Trez and Davis/AEG is a massive downgrade on what we currently have!!  We also do not have cover for Barkley.  If we were to get the much mooted Rashica, he covers three positions - 7, 10 & 11 - and if not 10 he could play 11 and we could shift Jack to 10 if Barkley was injured/needed a rest/we play Chelsea.

So basically we are buying Rashica 😬😬

💃💃💃💃💃💃

Edited by ender4

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree that Engels has looked decent at certain times and he may also benefit from two factors:

1. He will now have settled, having lived here for 18 months and adjusted to his team mates and the country.
  2. He will be coming back into a much better side and a settled back 6 (including Emi and Dougie).

I liked the look of Engels in his first few months aswell.

The reality though is he hasn't played a game in 9 games for one reason or another so really it would be Hause or AEM who'd come in if we lose on of our regular two which hopefully won't happen before mid January.

Tough to throw in a player for potentially 4-5 straight games when he hasn't done anything competitively in that timeframe, it's pretty amazing he's gone nearly a year now without playing and he hasn't had a serious injury like Heaton or Wes.

Again this sort of thing reminds me of when Laursen sadly got injured mid season in 08/09 and never returned and people were saying we have Zat Knight, Davies, Cuellar so we have enough.....we saw in the run in and shipping 5 at likes of Liverpool we certainly didn't have enough for what was required that season so I'd like an experienced CB on the January list. All about learning from previous mistakes.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

On 20/11/2020 at 01:09, barry'sboots said:

I don't get this.  I think Engels and Hause are decent cover.  I am much more concerned if Jack, Barkley or SJM were to pick up an injury.

Hause is awful. He is way out of his depth. Engels just about gets a run out at BMH these days. Mings or Ezri get a knock we have Elmo in at CB. 

• Like 1

Again, really hope we bring in another CB in January. We have nothing behind the current starting 2 and tbh we need someone to challenge Mings.

He's either overconfident or not switched on unless we play a top team.

The money Simakan would cost would we well worth it.

Oh, and the squad as a whole outside the starting 11 is too weak. But we already knew that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Again, really hope we bring in another CB in January. We have nothing behind the current starting 2 and tbh we need someone to challenge Mings.

He's either overconfident or not switched on unless we play a top team.

The money Simakan would cost would we well worth it.

Oh, and the squad as a whole outside the starting 11 is too weak. But we already knew that.

Agree I would like another CB in Jan. Not sure we can rely on Barkley/Grealish staying fit throughout the season either..

• Like 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Agree I would like another CB in Jan. Not sure we can rely on Barkley/Grealish staying fit throughout the season either..

Agreed, we have loads of issues when it comes to squad dept.

A few missed chances from doing as well as anyone else this season. But we certainly need one or two good additions in Jan - if they are there to be got - hopefully Lange has got something interesting up his sleeve...

We really need a CB not to just challenge but replace Mings. I just don’t think he’s good enough if we want to kick on. I’d keep Mings as an option but I’d want to see him desperately fighting for his place. He’s too much of a liability and just gets away with murder as there’s no one competing with him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We need a big strong defensive midfielder. When the onus is on us to break teams down at home, the opposition walk through us. 

This. Exactly this it s glaringly obvious issue with our team/squad, we just haven't got one.