Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

22 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Jovic is class but just escaped some sort of Serbian prison sentence for flouting lockdown rules :lol: Don't know what he did but it must have been more than just going out. 

He broke a number of lockdown rules including flying back to Serbia from Spain to visit his girlfriend

32 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Centre back cover, a better left back than Taylor and replace El Ghazi with another wide forward

All this cover stuff i don't like, especially when we are probably a midtable team at best.

If we sign a CB we have to be thinking buy a player at least good enough to threaten Mings and Konsas place  In the team. Or a younger player we believe will become a top player. 

A left back with the potential to oust targett.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Shouldn’t be playing for England unless heritage showcases you’ve got English ancestry (a la cricket). Otherwise you could just offer passports and citizenship left right and centre. 

make Ronaldo and Messi British citizens 

That's not true though is it, otherwise it would have been done. 

Cricket is far from a perfect system anyway as I'm not sure Jofra Archer, who moved here at 20, would feel more affinity with the country than someone who can only remember living here, regardless of one parent being English. 

Where would you draw the line? Raheem Sterling has lived in this country since he was 5. Is that English enough, or do you have to live here since before you could speak? If moving here at that age is fine, what about someone who moves at 10?

The only way I could see a half sensible compromise is if they put something in place like you had to be eligible for citizenship before your 18th birthday.

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

That's not true though is it, otherwise it would have been done. 

Cricket is far from a perfect system anyway as I'm not sure Jofra Archer, who moved here at 20, would feel more affinity with the country than someone who can only remember living here, regardless of one parent being English. 

Where would you draw the line? Raheem Sterling has lived in this country since he was 5. Is that English enough, or do you have to live here since before you could speak? If moving here at that age is fine, what about someone who moves at 10?

The only way I could see a half sensible compromise is if they put something in place like you had to be eligible for citizenship before your 18th birthday.

Not a bad compromise your suggestion. 

whilst Wiltshire could have been less blunt with his comments, I agreed with what he was getting at. 

cant have the criteria set so low that you can pick and choose.

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

All this cover stuff i don't like, especially when we are probably a midtable team at best.

If we sign a CB we have to be thinking buy a player at least good enough to threaten Mings and Konsas place  In the team. Or a younger player we believe will become a top player. 

A left back with the potential to oust targett.

This is exactly the tact I'm hoping we'll employ, like Leicester with Soyuncu. £20m at 22, had to sit on the bench for a year, then comes in to the team to replace Maguire and is a revelation. I think they planned to do the same with Fofana (£30m at 19) but injuries forced their hand and he's already playing a key role.

That's the ideal way to evolve a team into challengers imo.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

This is exactly the tact I'm hoping we'll employ, like Leicester with Soyuncu. £20m at 22, had to sit on the bench for a year, then comes in to the team to replace Maguire and is a revelation. I think they planned to do the same with Fofana (£30m at 19) but injuries forced their hand and he's already playing a key role.

That's the ideal way to evolve a team into challengers imo.

That’s exactly what we need to do as a whole.

The exception is probably for a absolute step up in quality but realistically I don’t think we have a players who we would replace in the first 11 with a well known proven quantity of high class now

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Isn't it kinda what we did with Konsa? 

Haha you're dead right, and for a fraction of the price. **** Leicester 

All the more impressive because we managed to do it as part of a complete rebuild in a single transfer window.

Now if we can do the same again with understudies for Luiz and Barkley in case they leave that would be super

We’ve an impending problem with Douglas Luiz and Manchester City. Ever since post lockdown football I’ve had no doubt that City will come back for him by activating the buy-back option, and I’m certain that’ll be the case in January. I don’t know exactly how the option works, but I assume it has to be dependent upon whether the player actually wants to return? I can’t imagine any player being forced into a move he doesn’t want? And that would have to be our only hope of retaining Luiz, that he’s happy where he is and can see there’s good times ahead. 

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Anyone seen or know much of Jonathan Panzo. England u21 cb or lb playing out in France. Seems highly rated

Once upon a time, England players had names like Edwards, Smith and Walker. Now they all sound like Central American revolutionaries.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

"Manchester City are preparing a £100million raid for Aston Villa pair Jack Grealish and Douglas Luiz"

Or so says the tabloids...

So that values Jack at £65m seeing as the Luiz buyback is £35m 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sne said:

"Manchester City are preparing a £100million raid for Aston Villa pair Jack Grealish and Douglas Luiz"

Or so says the tabloids...

Not happening, they would have to pay way more for Grealish on his own now.

Team are going to try destabilize us anyway they can and I really do hate the tactic of buying out teams best players when there on a role or progressing, it's dirty.

Why can't teams just keep it to the pitch, City if they try it would they steal Luiz back knowing how good he is here, Luiz goes back there and soon as he puts bad performances in, he be sent down the pecking order. I do wish we all knew the details of the Luiz buy back.

I still can't see 100 mill winning Luiz and Grealish over without our Owners putting up a serious fight to keep them both, not after what they witnessed from both.

Surely our Owners can offer some disclosed fee at the time City attempt a thievery for Luiz, there has to be some sort of opportunity to pay them what they want to pay us for the Luiz buyback right??

If they have room in the squad I fully expect City will try and resign Luiz as he'd be a useful squad option for them and also be much cheaper than comparable players.

As for Grealish I can absolutely see them trying for him, he'd fill the void left by David Silva and allow them to rest De Bruine a bit. But it would take more money than I think they are willing to pay atm since I think Messi is a real target for them now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

If they have room in the squad I fully expect City will try and resign Luiz as he'd be a useful squad option for them and also be much cheaper than comparable players.

As for Grealish I can absolutely see them trying for him, he'd fill the void left by David Silva and allow them to rest De Bruine a bit. But it would take more money than I think they are willing to pay atm since I think Messi is a real target for them now.

I remember pep saying in the media I would love Grealish at City. The problem with that however, you dont always get what you want and Villa unfortunately would want way more for Jack than what anyone is willing to actually pay.

I think Pep knows what Grealish is worth to us and that price Pep knows could never be met and in truth he is so right.

I do think that somehow the media has added abit more onto this and twisted it because there's not much circulating the papers in way of football.

Something like Grealish being signed by City stirs us Villa fans up, send City fans nuts and pisses there rivals UTD off even more because they failed at signing him twice now, three in one winner there.