Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He said good player generally. 

He is a good player, just need settling in properly now if were talking world class then no and we should look for someone for set pieces.

In other news, Im reading that Leeds are in for Julian Draxler from PSG. He is a free agent in the summer, so not too expensive either. 

If they can get him, we definately can. Both he and Buendia can play both central and out wide. Would be ace to get one of them me thinks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Carlsen said:

In other news, Im reading that Leeds are in for Julian Draxler from PSG. He is a free agent in the summer, so not too expensive either. 

If they can get him, we definately can. Both he and Buendia can play both central and out wide. Would be ace to get one of them me thinks.

We should be all over that. Another very talented player whose career hasn't quite gone to plan, a bit like Barkley. It would be a great fit for both him and us, even just a loan.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We should be all over that. Another very talented player whose career hasn't quite gone to plan, a bit like Barkley. It would be a great fit for both him and us, even just a loan.

Any idea why his career has stalled?

Draxler is currently on £120K-£140K/w at PSG. Guess he will be looking at something similar from his next club along with a signing fee.

Even on a "free" that is a lot of money for someone who's only featured in 30 games in all competitions combined over the last 2 seasons. And just like Barkley he's had hamstring injuries, in fact he's missed half of this season due to it.

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Draxler is currently on £120K-£140K/w at PSG. Guess he will be looking at something similar from his next club along with a signing fee.

Even on a "free" that is a lot of money for someone who's only featured in 30 games in all competitions combined over the last 2 seasons. And just like Barkley he's had hamstring injuries, in fact he's missed half of this season due to it.

We could have the best treatment table in the PL if we sign him. Players, no matter how good, aren’t going to help much if they only play a limited number of games per season. 

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Any idea why his career has stalled?

He played a lot in the first 2 seasons at PSG including the first when they won everything except the CL, but as sne says he's had some injuries and I agree it can be more hassle than it's worth going for a player who can take us to the next level but is never actually fit to play. 

Having said that,  he has featured 9 times for PSG this season and if he is available in the summer on a free I do think, given his talent, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a look at him in January if he's available at a cheap price. Wages of course will be high, but then so are Barkley's. 

I don't get the feeling it will happen, but players like Draxler and Dele Alli would certainly improve us and are out of favour and given the position we're in we might be an attractive option for them with the Euros coming up. I do feel we should look to strengthen this month, you can't stand still in football no matter how well you're doing, and our options are short at the moment with our injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Buendia not for sale, says Farke. And why would he be when they are chasing promotion?

he told us to Farke off?

unless we can unload at least 2-3 players and their wages I can't see us making any signings, due to squad size and FFP.

even if we did I we moved a few on i'd be surprised (although very happy) of we tonked 30-40 mil on one player.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he told us to Farke off?

unless we can unload at least 2-3 players and their wages I can't see us making any signings, due to squad size and FFP.

even if we did I we moved a few on i'd be surprised (although very happy) of we tonked 30-40 mil on one player.

We've just had a 45million bid for Belotti rejected.

I'm joking of course.

• Like 1

He only moved to Monza a few months ago but Colpani or someone like him would fit the bill for me. Young, left footed, creative attacking midfielder. I think we need to risk getting 3 or 4 young gifted players like him to cover wide forward, defensive midfielder, left back. If we can do it with loans with an option without spending much and they don't work out then no bother. If one or two work out then it will give us a little something from the bench that we lack. 

I can't see us spending big till the summer.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people are talking about us signing a winger, El Ghazi, Trezeguet before his injury, Traore, and Grealish have all been doing very well for us one the wings. Pretty sure our recruitment team will think we have other areas of the team in more urgent need of fixing, main one being a centre forward to take some of the burden off Watkins and to make sure we're not short if he gets injured, I know that people usually remonstrate that Traore can play up front, but I think that's a bit misleading, he's never played up front on his own in the way we use strikers, in the past if he's play upfront, he's played as a second striker just off someone else.

• Like 3

At this stage I reckon we’ll have specific positions where Smith wants to strengthen and a list of players for them. If any become available this window then shifting people out to make room becomes a priority. 

CB and striker or RF would be top of my list, followed by LB. Could see Ollie being pushed into the RF spot if a really good striker was available. Would take some pressure off him too. 

• Like 1

Realistically. I think a new LB might be a priority, to both challenge and cover for Targett. Also a new CB if Engels leaves in this window. Don't think we will see much else happening. I think Deano & co might want to see what Wesley has to offer upon return before we invest in a new striker. 

Regarding a new top class midfielder/winger. It's more of a dream scenario than realistic. Yes, our wingers have performed quite well, but we're lacking quality in depth. The top sides have almost just a strong of a bench as the starting 11. Ultimately, we would want to be able to rotate in tough schedules, not be too badly hurt by injuries to key players, and to see that even those that are performing well always has someone breathing down their necks for a starting spot. 

I think we have players who can cover most positions, some obviously better than others.

If Watkins got injured I think we would have issues, I like Davis but as yet he's not proven he can score goals at this level. Traore is worth a shout but we've not seen him play that role at Prem so he is a relative unknown.

We need to send Davis out on loan and either promote one of our young strikers and start to blood them gradually like we have done Ramsey. Or buy some overseas or lower league talent for under 20mil and try and develop them.

If we hoofed 30-40 mil on a striker who was still deputy to Watkins it would be pretty pointless, although a nice option to have.

According to the papers round up on the Beeb Leicester are offering Choudhury around the Premier League.  Also Saliba is pretty desperate to leave Arsenal, it says he is willing to take a pay cut to leave, not that I suspect he is on anything we couldn't afford. 

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

If we hoofed 30-40 mil on a striker who was still deputy to Watkins it would be pretty pointless, although a nice option to have.

He doesn’t have to be deputy to Ollie.  

They could be alternatives to each other, we don’t have to have a set first XI and that’s it.

We’ve put so much pressure on Ollie and he’s only just come to PL and only in his second season a striker.  

We need options as well as Ollie runs his socks off and with so many games an alternative would be great for freshness during games or even starting.

Plus if the alternative ends up being better, then awesome, if not then still have a good player.  We don’t have to be fixed with one player, to improve you need more quality and/or players than are better than the first XI.  

At the moment we need alternative for many reasons from form, suspensions, tiredness, change of requirements during the game and many more.  

We need another option as good as Ollie as a striker in the club.

• Like 4