England v Rep of Ireland/Belgium v England/England v Iceland

andykeenan

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Pickford

TAA - maguire - mings - chilwell

Rice - mount

Sterling - foden - grealish

Kane

He can fit them in if he drops the CB, that team would do alright at the euros, lots of goals and tons of options on the bench 

i don't see Foden as a starter but his time will come. 

On 17/11/2020 at 11:24, Stevo985 said:

Yep, that formation with Henderson and Phillips instead of Winks and Rice for me. Oh and Pickford in the **** sea. Put Nick Pope or Henderson in there.

When you think we'd then have the likes of Sancho, Greenwood, Ings, DCL, Foden and Maddison as backup, the front 6 positions is very exciting for England

At first glance Henderson is the superior player, he certainly is in a 433 however the defensive midfielders must fill in for their corresponding full back when they go forward for the overload and I would worry that an older midfielder wouldn't have the legs for it.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pickford

TAA - maguire - mings - chilwell

Rice - mount

Sterling - foden - grealish

Kane

He can fit them in if he drops the CB, that team would do alright at the euros, lots of goals and tons of options on the bench 

Henderson

TAA - Maguire - Mings Chillwell

Phillips - Rice
                  Grealish
     Sterling             Rashford
                    Kane
That is the best 11 to put out IMO

The bench is debateable you could take out and replace all of those forwards but I believe the defenders are set in stone, we don't have better currently as Tripper can play both sides and is better suited to getting forward than other right backs and Coady is just solid, our centre backs are poor.

Pope
Trippier
Coady
Henderson
Foden
Sancho
Calvert-Lewin

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Decent performance and result, just a further reminder how abysmal 2016 was.

England are the flat track bullies of international football.

I keep reading this. What's the transferred meaning and origin?

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's from cricket I think, from when batsman was able to score lots on a flat pitch. Basically saying someone is good at taking advantage of easy conditions.

In that context it's pretty much a compliment but these days it's transformed into a criticism by virtue of also implying that the subject can only thrive against poor opposition and struggles in harder games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Presumably from cricket, if the pitch is nice and flat then the batting team can really take advantage and score a massive score. Basically when conditions and opposition are in your favour you’re amazing but the implication is you come unstuck against better opposition or in more difficult conditions.

edit just beaten to it!

Edited by chappy
  • Like 1

Foden is just a shit James Milner  , but he’s 19 and once he learns to get his head up and pass he might become a good James Milner

I actually thought Rice was MOTM yesterday , did that DM role very well and with Mount alongside him it made a mockery of the previous games with having 2 DM’s in there .

Jack was in training ground mode but kinda glided around the pitch and makes it all look so easy at times where other players struggle with that quick lay off and move  

we’d have had 5 or 6 of Kane wasn’t so obsessed with trying to score 

And Dier ... no , just no 

2 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

It's from cricket I think, from when batsman was able to score lots on a flat pitch. Basically saying someone is good at taking advantage of easy conditions.

In that context it's pretty much a compliment but these days it's transformed into a criticism by virtue of also implying that the subject can only thrive against poor opposition and struggles in harder games.

See also Hick, Graeme.

Thought we was poor tbh, same old passing sideways routine unless Kane got the ball or Jack. Mount was busy but no real killer balls from him. Jack would be far more affective playing there and maybe Mount should have been dropped to see how Jack was there, when Mount went off Jack's influence on the game increased. 

If we go into a tournament with this mindset then we will beat poor teams but lose against the stronger ones, nothing has changed form the last world cup. Southgate has to go and the sooner he does the better . Be a real shame if we don't get a decent manager that can use this current crop of players, especially Jack .

The FA are so out of touch , have been for years,  it's killing our international team. Even Sherwood would be a better choice of manager and I don't say that lightly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

england out here celebrating what was our problem last night

your CBs heatmap should not look like that and if it does then you should be questioning why you're putting a CB there and not a left footed midfielder, that shows perfectly that we dont need 5 at the back

You are so right, it’s insane they would celebrate that.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 08:27, villa4europe said:

england out here celebrating what was our problem last night

your CBs heatmap should not look like that and if it does then you should be questioning why you're putting a CB there and not a left footed midfielder, that shows perfectly that we dont need 5 at the back

I'd like to see Saka's heat map too and then Jack's - it seemed to me he was being constantly forced out of position by Maguire in particular, but also in terms of Saka getting beyond him too early in moves.

Make no mistake - the red bit on the heat map above is where Saka ought to be - or where Grealish should be when we're sitting deep - Maguire is in the way every time he goes in there.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 05:00, paul514 said:

At first glance Henderson is the superior player, he certainly is in a 433 however the defensive midfielders must fill in for their corresponding full back when they go forward for the overload and I would worry that an older midfielder wouldn't have the legs for it.

I'd have Phillips fulfilling that role. Henderson as your shuttler to get the ball from defence to attack

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was coming but Mourinho is having a go at Southgate in the media since Southgate said some managers ask me to not play players. Mourinho wants him to name names

Was pretty obvious Sterling and Rashford wasn't injured. 

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Ireland manager is apparently fighting for his job and under investigation for showing an anti-English political video to the players before the friendly last week.

FAI said his job is safe, he was a bit naive to show it though apparently nobody really knows what was on it. Is a bit of a witch hunt going on about who the leak was as Alan Kelly the goalkeeping coach is furious he was accused

Â