England v Rep of Ireland/Belgium v England/England v Iceland

andykeenan

Just now, mykeyb said:

If only Mount could pass to Jack occasionally......

I thought it was maguire with that problem personally, drives forward, has grealish or saka in acres of space wide to his left but always wants to come inside narrow

Agree about kane too, he's on one tonight, looks desperate to score, he's not laying one off to anyone 

• Like 1

Three centre backs is completely unnecessary, the result is that Maguire is almost a midfielder, and we have midfielders better than Maguire. Jack is having to play just off the centre forward as Saka has taken left wing and Maguire keeps creeping into playing as a left sided midfielder - playing just off the centre forward is becoming difficult as Harry Kane also seems to have decided he's a midfielder - we're winning and it's easy but it's a triumph of talent over tactics.

• Like 4

Don't think it's ever been in doubt that Mount is a quality player.  I would have hìm at the villa all day long.  Just thing the negativity towards him had all come in response toward Southgate's love in. 

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If only Mount could pass to Jack occasionally......

I've noticed when they're struggling in the game or to keep the ball they always look for Jack. Whenever he makes a run into space and draws a man they completely ignore him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Three centre backs is completely unnecessary, the result is that Maguire is almost a midfielder, and we have midfielders better than Maguire. Jack is having to play just off the centre forward as Saka has taken left wing and Maguire keeps creeping into playing as a left sided midfielder - playing just off the centre forward is becoming difficult as Harry Kane also seems to have decided he's a midfielder - we're winning and it's easy but it's a triumph of talent over tactics.

Nail on the head, good post 

We look good and a bit of a mess at the same time imo no real balance to us

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Nail on the head, good post 

We look good and a bit of a mess at the same time imo no real balance to us

We’ll get away with it against the small nations but will get torn apart by the big boys.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

We’ll get away with it against the small nations but will get torn apart by the big boys.

I'm not so sure....

Without wanting to hype us too much because I think Southgate is a really poor manager I think we are one of several big nations who are relying on talent over tactics to win games and we definitely have the talent, I don't think there are many managers out there who will pick apart our deficiencies, martinez and Belgium for example yes we lost but it was because martinez did one over on us, I think a lot of Europe are in the same boat as us and the euros could go anywhere, France favourites because they have insane amounts of depth in that squad but attacking wise so do we 

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Jack is having to play just off the centre forward as Saka has taken left wing

This.  I thought it happened  last game as well in the second half when we was well on top, Saka played so far forward Jack had to move position alot to accommodate him. 

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just came on to post the same thing.

What's the point playing Maguire in what is essentially turning into a "free roll" where he's roaming all over the pitch when we could actually play another midfielder or attacker who could make much better use of the space and ball.

Â