Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

It's the manner in which we've lost/are losing. Pathetic and it isn't being a bad fan to say so.

Yes, that's the point.  Losing is going to happen but we're playing exactly how you would expect a relegation fodder team to play. 

Can anyone see Southampton letting up in the second half? 

I’m starting to think it’s not the strikers that are the issue but the system, they are look the same as each other. We slow it down too much in the final third and let the defence get back into shape, we should be putting balls in behind when Watkins is on the shoulder.

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

So you're just shrugging at this? Not bothered then?

Not really. It would be crazy to think we aren't going to go through the season having some bad losses. We finished 17th last season. 

The aim for the season is to progress and improve on that, currently we are. 

If we losing like this continously and plummet down the league then maybe so but I think my expectations for the year are pretty realistic. 

Thats not to say that the performance is terrible today. But you can already see the smith out crowd gearing up again. People need to get a grip. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Me too, but only a little because our service to him has been absolutely diabolical. He's really living off scraps. 

Its the same as last season, defence looks shit, attack looks shit but in reality it's the central midfield that's causing both 

Barkley and mcginn nowhere again 

The game hasn't been that bad on balance but the naivety in gifting them free kicks around the box when they have Ward-Prowse is daft. I also appreciate the logic behind zonal marking but re: the first goal, you have to make an exception for players of Vestergaard's size and at the very least have someone taller than McGinn on him. Same with Cash for the third (and Konsa drifting that far out and leaving him alone), just very silly decision making.

Also I'm not one to geton players' backs but what's the story with Watkins? He's been completely anonymous, even with the ball played into his feet he's getting brushed off with ease. Still have faith in him coming good but if Wesley had put in a couple of these performances an awful lot of Villa fans would be crucifying him.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Starting to worry about Watkins. Been some Scott Hogan level performances. Hope its him just getting used to it. 

Or we just haven’t created any chances for him like we didn’t last season at the beginning for Wes.

Just now, penguin said:

I’m starting to think it’s not the strikers that are the issue but the system, they are look the same as each other. We slow it down too much in the final third and let the defence get back into shape, we should be putting balls in behind when Watkins is on the shoulder.

Been pointing out the obvious for ages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's the manner in which we've lost/are losing. Pathetic and it isn't being a bad fan to say so.

never called anyone a bad fan. I'm equally frustrated and we're playing shit, but this is to be expected. we're no world beaters by any stretch of the words.