Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So the manner in which we are losing, the overall play, and the inevitable sap on confidence, doesn't worry you at all?

We could be 5 down already.

We're playing a very good side. We've been shit on set pieces today but jesus christ lads, bit of an overreaction much? 

• Like 4

Just now, DCJonah said:

Good lord. Honestly what's wrong with people? 

I am not wanting him out, just saying if this carries on the owners won’t stand for it, too much at stake. He didn’t convince last season, we look as bad as pre-lockdown all of a sudden.

• Confused 1

Said to my wife after the first four games "a team that sticks seven goals up Liverpool is definitely not going down"

Think I might have spoken just a tad too soon.

OK a slight exaggeration but this really is pre-lockdown Villa.

Really poor, this is down to the sheer stupidity of giving away free kicks against the best free kick taker in the league

The games gone but we must win the second half and get a little self respect back if this is not to be the start of a bad bad run

Im expecting 12th but this is as poor as we’ve played in the last 18 months - the bubbles well and truly burst 

Some might talk about Smith after that and for me despite the first four games I still have question marks about him but that 45 mins was entirely on the player. Absolutely shambolic.

People will go after Targett for giving away the first free kick but what about Mings? Rooted to the floor on that free kick and letting McGinn pick up their main man in the air. Terrible 45 from him,    he is so over rated at times.

Then we’ve Cash and Luiz giving away utterly stupid free kicks, it’s hardly a surprise that Ward-Prowse is a bit handy at that range.

Then there is Watkins offering absolutely nothing up front again.

Terrible, every single one of them. Nowhere near good enough.

Smith should rip them new ones at half time but not at all convinced he has it in him.

Good job we had a great start because this side is seemingly one that is going to struggle based on that 45 and the Leeds game. 

Absolute rubbish, totally unacceptable 45 by the lot of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look completely lost, they're squeezing the midfield everytime we have the ball and we've got no outlet once we have won it back 

Hoofing it to Watkins against Vestergaard isn't going to work, and Mcginn may as well not be playing

Smith need to change this at HT otherwise it's going to be another 3/4 goals 

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Does it matter how it happened? It's 0-3 at home - again. Heads are down and we're playing like utter morons. We can't get excited about 4 wins a row and then shrug about 2 crushing home losses against teams we should be collecting points from. The win against Liverpool was a miracle and put a smile on all our faces - but this is unacceptable and they do not balance each other out. This looks just like pre-Restart. We're regressing. 

Of course we can. Because winning those 4 games gives us a comfortable cushion for some inevitable bad results. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

We're playing a very good side. We've been shit on set pieces today but jesus christ lads, bit of an overreaction much? 

EVERY team in the Premier League play the same " Good sides ".

It's about the manner of it.

There is supporting your team, and then there is being deluded.

We have been absolute garbage, full stop.

I don't mind playing teams which are better than us and losing respectably.

We don't even look a Premier League team at times.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

We don't have a midfield, our defence looks completely disorganised, and Watkins has barely had a chance to touch the ball.

We've completely surrendered. Set pieces are what's really hurt us, but they cut through us with ease in open play too. This is a collapse.