Poppy Watch 2020

NurembergVillan

35 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's a pretty spectacular misreading of the situation. 

I was responding to be called a virtue signaller for saying I will be wearing a poppy. I'm sure you're fine with me wearing one right?

28 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I was responding to be called a virtue signaller for saying I will be wearing a poppy. I'm sure you're fine with me wearing one right?

On a separate yet related note - when did being virtuous become a bad thing?  So much of what we do is virtue-signalling.  Even wearing a Villa shirt.

There's a huge difference between you wearing a poppy and, for example, this guy -

image.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

On a separate yet related note - when did being virtuous become a bad thing?  So much of what we do is virtue-signalling.

It's similar to using the phrase 'do-gooder' as a slight.

There's a couple of points, I think:

One is to suggest that perhaps the action being taken is fruitless and vaccuous and better use could be made of the effort to actually effect change or improvement and this isn't perhaps a bad point to be made, i.e. that the virtue signaller isn't actually being virtuous, they're merely telling others that they are (the do-gooder isn't doing good, they're merely pretending);

A second is to extend that to imply that anyone doing these things is necessarily doing something ineffective and pointless and therefore only doing it for the reason of announcing to others that they are doing it and thus not doing it for any good reason or, even worse, doing it for bad reasons or selfish, narcissistic ones.

Edit: For similar reasons to the ones you expressed above, I feel very uncomfortable using either of these phrases or similar ones as they really don't add anything to a conversation about what people are doing and what their motives are and it just muddies the waters when discussing virtue, good, &c.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

The problem from what I can see is patriotism has been hijacked by a lot of skin head, away day football fighting hooligan, Britain first, EDL, uneducation idiots, so people are slightly embarrassed to be proud to be British because of its association with those types.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

On a separate yet related note - when did being virtuous become a bad thing?  So much of what we do is virtue-signalling.  Even wearing a Villa shirt.

There's a huge difference between you wearing a poppy and, for example, this guy -

image.png

To be fair, I am never going to forget that; its Lovecraftian form is now forever etched into my mind's eye.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The problem from what I can see is patriotism has been hijacked by a lot of skin head, away day football fighting hooligan, Britain first, EDL, uneducation idiots, so people are slightly embarrassed to be proud to be British because of its association with those types.

Very few of these people are what anyone would realistically describe as a Skinhead. A Skinhead is a particular British music / fashion subculture focussing on the Ska music of late '60s / early '70s Jamaica and the British two-Tone revival

Fat bald racist football holligans are not Skinheads. Admittedly there are a very tiny minority of racist Nazi Skins but these groups are so small these days, they are almost an irrelevance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

There is some of that but there is also that it has become a competition to be bigger and brasher about it and to be wearing it earlier and earlier, all of which is very mainstream.

Add to that some of the conformity angle and the inferences drawn when people don't wear it and there's a wider problem.

A word, much stronger than childish, comes to mind when I think of the real people who have hijacked the poppy and made it into their personal crusade against their political enemies tbh

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I love how it's become the cool opinion to hate anyone that wears a poppy these days. So childish. 

Not at all.

As below:

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's really about the people who can't help but virtue signal by wearing ludicrously disrespectful poppy displays. 

Normal lapel-stationed poppies are spot on.  Putting a cardboard Crusader tank on your drive isn't.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

image.png

I probably shouldn't have used the phrase as I'm not a huge fan myself, but it's the people loudly telling everyone they're doing the 'right thing' that I can't stand.

The sort of people who give a couple of quid to charity and click the Facebook share button afterwards to let everyone know when you can share the cause without patting yourself on the back. 

• Like 1

Â