Poppy Watch 2020

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Very few of these people are what anyone would realistically describe as a Skinhead. A Skinhead is a particular British music / fashion subculture focussing on the Ska music of late '60s / early '70s Jamaica and the British two-Tone revival

Fat bald racist football holligans are not Skinheads. Admittedly there are a very tiny minority of racist Nazi Skins but these groups are so small these days, they are almost an irrelevance

Ah, the 'good' skinheads versus the 'bad' skinheads? Sorry, not buying it. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Not buying what? Just because someone has a crew cut does not make them a "skinhead". Skinhead refers to a particular music and fashion subculture. No different to Goth in that respect

• Like 1

Goths destroyed Rome. So **** them guys. 

Good skinheads have been at the forefront of anti racism in the past. Its well documented about the battles between the good and bad. The Business and Angelic Upstarts, without doubt were left wing and had anti racist ideologies. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I used to hang around with good skinheads.

We would go to ‘black’ clubs down Tiger Bay, such as the North Star Club.

They were the coolest **** around and I was lucky to skirt around the edge of their gang.

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Goths destroyed Rome. So **** them guys. 

Good skinheads have been at the forefront of anti racism in the past. Its well documented about the battles between the good and bad. The Business and Angelic Upstarts, without doubt were left wing and had anti racist ideologies. 

Kicked off at a Crass (left wing anarchists) concert in Stafford late 70's when a load of swastika tattooed up boneheads gate crashed the gig, was carnage  

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

During my 6-year stint working in Germany (2001-7) I wore a poppy every year, including to the office.

I was thankful that the sacrifice of others had given me the opportunity to work in another country, ironically Germany, without fear or hindrance.

I wouldn't wear one if I were working in Germany now, though.

The next irony is that many of those who would display the most ostentatious poppies are also those who have removed our right to work in other countries without fear or hindrance.

They didn't even have to fight a war to do it.

i just tried to buy the official villa poppy pin badge

£5 which is perfectly fine, £15 delivery which can get in the sea

that's the whole point for me, just a little badge, nod of respect and a donation to the cause, that's all it needs, I haven't worn the paper poppies in years, my grandparents collect for them so I usually just go and see them and drop £20 in and my grandad will try and give me the latest limited edition badge

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Kicked off at a Crass (left wing anarchists) concert in Stafford late 70's when a load of swastika tattooed up boneheads gate crashed the gig, was carnage  

Still talked about here. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The film (and a few of the follow on series) This is England has the skinhead culture war as a backdrop to its events. It's a real thing - there were the anti racist and racist skinhead factions.

Of course today the skinhead thing has mostly been associated with the racist side of things, largely because the subculture died out as the world moved on, leaving the neo-Nazis to it.

Just now, Chindie said:

Of course today the skinhead thing has mostly been associated with the racist side of things, largely because the subculture died out as the world moved on, leaving the neo-Nazis to it.

Hmmm no, I'd argue that the entire polar opposite happened. The Skinhead Culture is alive and well, it's the Nazi skinheads that no longer really exist. Sure Neo-fascists still exist but they aren't skinheads any more.

Go to a Specials gig and there's plenty of them there, all dressed up the nines.

Skrewdriver and their ilk don't really exist anymore in the UK, that side of the culture no longer exists here. In Germany and the US, of course but not here. Nazis look more normal these days

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmmm no, I'd argue that the entire polar opposite happened. The Skinhead Culture is alive and well, it's the Nazi skinheads that no longer really exist. Sure Neo-fascists still exist but they aren't skinheads any more.

Go to a Specials gig and there's plenty of them there, all dressed up the nines.

Skrewdriver and their ilk don't really exist anymore in the UK, that side of the culture no longer exists here. In Germany and the US, of course but not here. Nazis look more normal these days

How many people that weren't around in the early 80s are skinheads? And if that group, how many are the anti racist type? I suspect it's a very small group and of that group the racist type are the majority. That's what I mean - I'm 32. I've seen 1 skinhead of the nice type my age. And for my generation is definitely most associated with the racist type.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have been to quite a number of skinhead gigs over the past ten years. A hell of a lot of Oi bands. All without exception have been anti racism. The punters supported this outwardly. Not to say racism doesnt exist but far right at these gigs was wither chased away or they tired and sought a more underground band. 
As an aside the best of the modern lot is Los Fastidios, damn they are good. 

• Like 1

The BBC4 documentary The Secret History of Skinheads by Don Letts was fascinating as it was originally a very mixed race movement at the back end of the sixties up until the ‘right wing NF’ types adopted it during the punk explosion in the mid/late 70s

it wasn’t all punk either, just a small number of bands that attracted the NF and the stereotype stuck forever more.

sadly the doc is no longer on iPlayer 

Saying all that, I would have been around 5-6yrs old during the late 70s so don’t have any real recollection of the skinheads

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have been to quite a number of skinhead gigs over the past ten years. A hell of a lot of Oi bands. All without exception have been anti racism. The punters supported this outwardly. Not to say racism doesnt exist but far right at these gigs was wither chased away or they tired and sought a more underground band. 
As an aside the best of the modern lot is Los Fastidios, damn they are good. 

Agree, bands like No Remorse and Skewdriver were marginalised a long time ago

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The BBC4 documentary The Secret History of Skinheads by Don Letts was fascinating as it was originally a very mixed race movement at the back end of the sixties up until the ‘right wing NF’ types adopted it during the punk explosion in the mid/late 70s

it wasn’t all punk either, just a small number of bands that attracted the NF and the stereotype stuck forever more.

sadly the doc is no longer on iPlayer 

Saying all that, I would have been around 5-6yrs old during the late 70s so don’t have any real recollection of the skinheads

You had skinheads and suede heads which were wrongly grouped together into one subculture

Â