Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

15 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Even the second one where he had Gomez's pants around his ankles before knocking it in the corner?

Nobody is suggesting he is but there are some levels in between strikers you have nothing to fear from and the uncrowned Ballon D'Or winner. He's one of them I reckon

Yeah, and I think there are bigger priorities if we're looking at threats from your side.

I haven't said Watkins is just an expensive Troy Deeney, his biggest strengths aren't something that come down to an individual battle compared to Grealish.

But you know, read this and decide for yourself what I've actually typed

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Yeah, and I think there are bigger priorities if we're looking at threats from your side.

Nobody is saying that Grealish isn't a bigger threat, just that Watkins is a bigger threat than zero.

3 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I haven't said Watkins is just an expensive Troy Deeney, his biggest strengths aren't something that come down to an individual battle compared to Grealish.

But you know, read this and decide for yourself what I've actually typed

Not for me to decide, you typed that you have "no reason to fear anything from Watkins" and brought up how he isn't Kane and Lewandowski as if to imply that anyone here thinks he is.

That's very different from the point about him being less of a threat than Grealish that you're now making

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Surprise Surprise, Lawro has predicted Leeds.  

Yep.

On Villa  

Villa are going great guns, with four wins out of four in the Premier League so far. It's not just been their results that have been impressive, because they have been playing well too.

On Leeds

But I just fancy Leeds here. I watched them against Wolves on Monday and, although they ended up being beaten, it is clear already this season that, even if they are not playing well, they are competitive and they will give everyone a good game.

Kalvin Phillips is out injured, which is a blow to Leeds because he covers acres and acres for them. But you won't see anything different from them on Friday - they won't change the way they play because one of their better players is out.

So basically - Villa are doing great, and they're playing well (oh, you forgot to mention could go top of the league). Leeds just lost and have their best player out. But I'm a **** wit and believe the media hype, so I think Leeds are better and will win.

He might be right, but why do these morons get paid to give such a dumb opinion, based on such scant knowledge and evidence.

And why do I let it wind me up so badly :bang:

• Like 1

Still so many places in the media that are still not giving us enough credit. Both in the UK and where I am.

If we win tonight, what will it be then? Leeds have injuries etc. Maybe someone will then dare predict that we will win Southampton?

Meanwhile we just go on doing our stuff quietly and efficiently a la Dean Smith.

Can not wait for the match tonight!

No doubt Lawro is still salty after we whooped Liverpool 7-2 

2 minutes ago, bose said:

Still so many places in the media that are still not giving us enough credit. Both in the UK and where I am.

If we win tonight, what will it be then? Leeds have injuries etc. Maybe someone will then dare predict that we will win Southampton?

Meanwhile we just go on doing our stuff quietly and efficiently a la Dean Smith.

Can not wait for the match tonight!

Better to fly under the radar I’d say and quietly go about our business of making it 5 out of 5 with minimal pressure from the press. We’re on PPV again next 2 weeks so doubt we’ll get any more credit even if we pick up another 2 wins from 2 as most of the press won’t have watched us play. 

Excited for tonight's game. It's going to be really interesting. Leeds play with alot of energy, probably the hardest working pressing team in the Prem. Have to give Biesla credit there. 

I think we will beat them, they lack quality upfront with Bamford. If they score it'll be from a mistake rather than good football. 

Since our last game 18months ago, we are the much improved side and they couldn't beat us with 10 men. 

At the end of the day it's a football match, anything can happen. Anyone can win but out of 10 games I think we would win 7/8 times. 

Edited by Lord Willard

57 minutes ago, Rodders said:

My first ever live game was at home to Leeds, 2-0 we won, sasa curcic scored one, can't remember the other scorer at all and I misheard the chants as my dad wisely chose not to correct me as I joined in to call the referee a flanker. 

Must have been 96 I think?

Ahh this cracked me up, I wonder what you thought a flanker was?!

58 minutes ago, useless said:

Watkins might have an off day, but you don't have to be Kane or Lewandowski to be a possible threat to a midtable premier league side, especially one that conceded three goals to Fulham.

Mid table... that’s generous. 

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Ahh this cracked me up, I wonder what you thought a flanker was?!

It's the Russian equivalent of the F-18 but I don't know why it would be a slight on the referee

Sukhoi Su-27 - Wikipedia

Edited by darrenm
speeling

4 hours ago, rubberman said:

There's a few here to aim for!

• Villa have started a season with four successive league wins for the first time since 1930-31. They have never won their opening five games.
  • Dean Smith's side can equal the club Premier League record of five consecutive victories, set in 1996 and matched in 1998.
  • Villa's current eight-match unbeaten streak is their longest in the Premier League since a run of 10 games ended in October 2011.
  • They can win each of their opening three home matches of a Premier League campaign for the first time since 2006-07.
  • The Villans are the only club not to have trailed in a Premier League fixture this season.
  • Villa have conceded two top-flight goals this season, four fewer than any other club.

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54564741

Leeds just don't look that threatening to me, but will be hard to break down - tight 1-0 to us.

So all that and then you go put a 1-0 score on it, TuT, TUT, TUT, TUT.

Could have gotten adventurous, think that's what we was all hoping for 😉

On 21/10/2020 at 00:51, VillaChris said:

Dosen't seem they actually have a replacement for Phillips, 

I've heard they've got a number of their reserves living in oxygen tents all week in a desperate move to grow their hair so they can make their top knot quota, otherwise they have to forfeit the game apparently. 

I would have expected Bielsa to have dealt with this issue sooner to be honest. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Though it may have been Bamford that slowed the play down, not actually sure it was - It was Klich that went down the left flank, cut in and scored. 

We didn't win. It ended 1-1. We were hanging on last 10 minutes but that was mainly because we were wrongly down to 10-men.

In the end it was a nothing game. Bielsa gets credit for giving us the walk-in goal, but I am not sure he would have reacted in the same way should automatic promotion still been on the table.

Really not sure why it caused such a furore to be honest - I would have preferred the 1-0 loss.

Anyway, that's been and gone - If we perform to our very best we win this, so just want a good performance please :) 

Thanks for clearing that one up for me, I dont know why 2-1 keeps popping up in my head I could of sworn we got the winner after Bielsa's fairplay action.

Well here is hoping we certainly do one on Leeds, even if it's to say to the Leeds fans shove Bamford and his cheating ways up your arses.

I think it caused so much drama was because Bamford didnt stop at just the bit of play in which he caused a goal out of it. Bamford also got Ghazi sent off and never got touched by Ghazi. There is also the fact Villa would of won there 11th game onto but because of that day and Bamford it wasnt to be. Leeds V Villa was already a riled up game anyway and I forgot why the commentators said on the day that was. That day and Bamford just added so much more to the overall feud between Villa and Leeds.

I'm sure today something will happen to make things so much more worse, Leeds just seem that club to make that kind of stuff happen.

I'm confident, super confident that we will win these Representatives for Wellingborough.

Edited by Dave-R