Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What a terrible penalty from Lookman. Sign of a team going straight back down missing penalties like that (Mitrovic also missed v Sheffield which cost them 3 points).

Was actually hoping he'd put it away as would've shaved two points off West Ham. Now they're one point off us and we should be looking to finish above them.

Really think we can rest easy. If you give teams in bottom 4 one win every 3 games (losing the other two) it would take Fulham 9 more games to catch us up and that would mean us barely picking up a point in 10 games so would require a terrible run for us to be dragged into relegation danger and that certainly shouldn't be acceptable this season.

Just seen that, oof.

What was going through his head?

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And that’s on top of a pretty established team. We’ve had to pretty much build a new team around 3 players that were part of the promotion team. 

Yet Wilder is a god and Smith has a lot to learn.

Nobody is saying that at all....interpret whats being said Properly.....stuff like that irritates me.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For the record I think Wilder is a good manager and done a fabulous job at Sheffield United. I just find it hilarious that last season it was why can’t Smith be more like Wilder and this season it’s ‘well, It’s not Wilders fault he just hasn’t got the quality players’.  

I think you are missing point.....we have been talking about one aspect of Sheff Utd's play that Wilder Presides over.....Workrate/Desire......not every aspect of his working life.

Last Season He worked the Oracle with it and finished very well in the league.....This season it has not worked.

On to us

So far the first 4 games, have been great.....but the next 2 have not shown the same approach....In my view, I seen a significant difference, I saw similar traits of pre lockdown of easy to beat, sure mistakes cost the goals, but our approach, was instrumental in the mistakes....that is my opinion.....if you can't see a distinction in our approach from the first 4 games and the last 2, there is no point continuing the debate.

Steve Bruce was never held up to these standards. He was innocent even though we were underperforming with one of the best teams, and definitely the most expensive, in the league.

Interesting Smith is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are missing point.....we have been talking about one aspect of Sheff Utd's play that Wilder Presides over.....Workrate/Desire......not every aspect of his working life.

Last Season He worked the Oracle with it and finished very well in the league.....This season it has not worked.

On to us

So far the first 4 games, have been great.....but the next 2 have not shown the same approach....In my view, I seen a significant difference, I saw similar traits of pre lockdown of easy to beat, sure mistakes cost the goals, but our approach, was instrumental in the mistakes....that is my opinion.....if you can't see a distinction in our approach from the first 4 games and the last 2, there is no point continuing the debate.

So basically Chris Wilder is an up and at ‘em manager. All about the work rate and desire. Nothing to do with tactics, building a team or finding a way to get results. I’m pretty sure he’d be rather insulted by that. Surely no decent manager is so one dimensional? You make him sound like a glorified fitness coach. 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

On to us

I can. We went toe to toe vs Leeds and didn’t take our chances. They did and then we lost our heads, was poor. Against Southampton we just didn’t turn up first half against a team that were clinical on the day. 

So that’s around 80 minutes out of 540 minutes our approach and performance has been disappointing. Of course it should be discussed but i don’t think it’s enough to be concerned just yet.  

13 hours ago, TRO said:

You will never see me complain about our team without reason....imo

check my posts, i never said a word in anger after the first 4 games...on the contrary, i was full of praise for the team and still think it was deserved.

What equally irks me is when there is clear deficiencies during a game and folk choose to ignore it or refrain from discussing it, why?

sure we can't win every game.....but why can't we talk about whats stops us, without falling out.

if our team get slated after a defeat, as you say, for not trying hard enough, maybe , just maybe they wasn't.

I have just watched Sheff Utd and I have no allegiance to them in any way shape or form, but I think they worked damn hard.....so I think I am capable of making the distinction of a team working hard or not......I accept its all in the eye of the beholder.

Aston Villa P6 W4 D0 L2. 12 PTS

Sheffield United P8 W0 D1 L7. 1 PT

Sometimes you need more than hard work to achieve. Does Wilder have another plan other than hard work to get Sheffield United playing? 

Hard work and graft is a good starting point, but you need far more than just that. You need flair, creativity and quality amongst other things. We are clearly trying to find the balance between the 2. When you compare the Leicester game versus the Leeds game for example. It's not right to criticise Smith, not yet. For me. 

You bang the hard work drum all the time TRO, fair enough. I do get it. But Sheffield United are testament to how far hard work on its own gets you this season. It doesn't make wilder a bad manager or Sheffield United a lazy poor team.

They've scored 5 goals so far in 8 games. To me, it screams Sheffield United needing to find a way of adding a bit more quality to attacks to edge them over the line in those tight games. Can wilder do that? That's his new challenge.

Wilder took from League One to the Premier League in a few seasons on a shoestring budget.

As much as Smith has done a good job he did take over a team that had played in a Play Off final the season before so there obviously were a lot of quality in the team he took over. After that he's been handed an open wallet.

It's completely different jobs and i very much doubt Smith would achieve what Wilder has done with that SU team.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wilder took from League One to the Premier League in a few seasons on a shoestring budget.

As much as Smith has done a good job he did take over a team that had played in a Play Off final the season before so there obviously were a lot of quality in the team he took over. After that he's been handed an open wallet.

It's completely different jobs and i very much doubt Smith would achieve what Wilder has done with that SU team.

Lambert done it back to back. Would I swap Smith for Lambert? No! Would I swap Smith for wilder? No!

Part of a managers pedigree is found out when the going gets tough. Can they do something different to survive? We found out Smith can last year. Lambert struggled although I will add circumstances didn't help.

Wilder has to do something to survive now. Can he? That's the key question.

1 point from 8 games is an awful return. Leaves him needed probably 12 wins in the next 30 or 10 wins and a number of draws. It's going to be a big ask. 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Aston Villa P6 W4 D0 L2. 12 PTS

Sheffield United P8 W0 D1 L7. 1 PT

Sometimes you need more than hard work to achieve. Does Wilder have another plan other than hard work to get Sheffield United playing? 

Hard work and graft is a good starting point, but you need far more than just that. You need flair, creativity and quality amongst other things. We are clearly trying to find the balance between the 2. When you compare the Leicester game versus the Leeds game for example. It's not right to criticise Smith, not yet. For me. 

You bang the hard work drum all the time TRO, fair enough. I do get it. But Sheffield United are testament to how far hard work on its own gets you this season. It doesn't make wilder a bad manager or Sheffield United a lazy poor team.

They've scored 5 goals so far in 8 games. To me, it screams Sheffield United needing to find a way of adding a bit more quality to attacks to edge them over the line in those tight games. Can wilder do that? That's his new challenge.

You've got to remember 1982 is the pinnacle of football and the game hasn't moved on a bit since then.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Lambert done it back to back. Would I swap Smith for Lambert? No! Would I swap Smith for wilder? No!

Part of a managers pedigree is found out when the going gets tough. Can they do something different to survive? We found out Smith can last year. Lambert struggled although I will add circumstances didn't help.

Wilder has to do something to survive now. Can he? That's the key question.

1 point from 8 games is an awful return. Leaves him needed probably 12 wins in the next 30 or 10 wins and a number of draws. It's going to be a big ask. 

True.

Managers are like players. They can improve or they can degress.

You need to frequently be able to adapt and evolve to be successful at this level or you'll eventually be "found out". It's what Ferguson managed to do and where Wenger failed.

Edited by villalad21

I rate wilder despite their recent problems. They havent really strengthened like we have so we cant really compare us to them.

I hope they stay up mind you i like them as a club and they are pretty big club. Much prefer them to leeds

• Like 1

Good result in the Albion game for us, means going into the international break we can't drop any lower than tenth, and are guaranteed to be at least nine points clear of the bottom three. Although would be nice if we could get a result against Arsenal, to end this mini slump that we're on at the moment.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Good result in the Albion game for us, means going into the international break we can't drop any lower than tenth, and are guaranteed to be at least nine points clear of the bottom three. Although would be nice if we could get a result against Arsenal, to end this mini slump that we're on at the moment.

11th if we lose and Man. City win.

9 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

So basically Chris Wilder is an up and at ‘em manager. All about the work rate and desire. Nothing to do with tactics, building a team or finding a way to get results. I’m pretty sure he’d be rather insulted by that. Surely no decent manager is so one dimensional? You make him sound like a glorified fitness coach. 

No that is not at all what i was expecting to be interpreted......and I agree with your point, so maybe mine wasn't very clear.....I was talking about One aspect of the game, not everything attached to it.

sure Wilder has much more than just workrate/desire.....but it was that, that I was showing admiration for.

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Steve Bruce was never held up to these standards. He was innocent even though we were underperforming with one of the best teams, and definitely the most expensive, in the league.

Interesting Smith is.

is that the best you can do?

but who is actually moaning about Smith?