Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

Just now, Greenfly said:

My god, Sheffield United are absolutely insipid this season. Has any team ever gone from being top half one season to starting this badly the next?

14 points clear of them with 2 games in hand.

Crazy how quickly tables can turn.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Has any team ever started as bad as Sheffield United? 1 point from the opening 10 games is unfathomably bad. I'm convinced you could put a League 2 team in the PL and they'd get more points than that.

Even in the 15/16 season, where we only got 17 points total for the entire season, we had 4 points after 10 games.

Even Huddersfield, who only totalled 16 points in 18/19, had 3 points after 10 games.

• Like 1

West Brom had to win that one really to have a shot of staying up although they were clinging on at the end big time. Reminds me of the 1-0 we had v Norwich on Boxing day.

Sheffield united need 10 wins from 28 to give them even a chance of staying up so probably going to have to go on better winning run than at any point last season. They've left themselves too much to do already.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They should have won today. I’m not a fan but I think they have enough to stay up. 

Not until they learn to aim. Mousset's miss at the end was frankly shocking. I could've scored that.

Just now, Greenfly said:

Not until they learn to aim. Mousset's miss at the end was frankly shocking. I could've scored that.

True but it would be more worrying if they weren’t even creating chances. Even after such a bad start they are only 5 points from safety.  

Im just glad we’re not down there!

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Has any team ever started as bad as Sheffield United? 1 point from the opening 10 games is unfathomably bad. I'm convinced you could put a League 2 team in the PL and they'd get more points than that.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Even in the 15/16 season, where we only got 17 points total for the entire season, we had 4 points after 10 games.

Even Huddersfield, who only totalled 16 points in 18/19, had 3 points after 10 games.

to add, lowest ever points tally for a season was Derby in 2007/08, they got 11 points in total.

after 10 games they had 6 points.

looks like 1 point from first 10 games is a record.....cant find anything at a glance showing a worse tally after 10 games.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but it would be more worrying if they weren’t even creating chances. Even after such a bad start they are only 5 points from safety.  

Im just glad we’re not down there!

Yes, that's true. Even then, Fulham look considerably more likely to stay up, and that's saying a lot.

8 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

My god, Sheffield United are absolutely insipid this season. Has any team ever gone from being top half one season to starting this badly the next?

Leicester went from 1st to 12th. I know 12th is a respectable position but it's a big drop. Similarly Newcastle dropped from 5th to 16th after Alan Pardew got Manager of the Year.

West Ham were relegated (18th) in 2003 after finishing 7th the year before.

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

Leicester went from 1st to 12th. I know 12th is a respectable position but it's a big drop. Similarly Newcastle dropped from 5th to 16th after Alan Pardew got Manager of the Year.

tbh tho, i still have a feeling they will drag themselves out of it, ofc they could get relegated, but i think they probably have enough to avoid relegation, regardless of the terrible start.

10 hours ago, Greenfly said:

No team has ever started this badly in the Premier League. They’re on course for 3 or 4 points... 

Sheff U look a lot better than 1 point to me, mad they've only scored four. They should have had four last night!

Everyone getting away from them though. Been looking for a while like it's three from four and Burnley have danced this dance many times.

14 hours ago, Enda said:

Leicester were actually in the bottom 3 when they sacked Ranieri and that was late Feb.

tipped sheff utd and burnley to be right down there this season and actually fancy baggies to stay up. the aforementioned 2 plus fulham to go for me. i think sheff utd's piss poor transfer dealings will cost them. still flabbergasted that they only paid 2m less for ramsdale than we did for emi

• Like 1

A Fulham win tomorrow could make things interesting, suddenly the midtable clubs would be only eight points clear of the bottom three and all it would take is for one of them to go on a bad run and for one of the bottom four to pick up some form.

This time last season Bournemouth were eight points clear of the bottom three.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Sheff U look a lot better than 1 point to me, mad they've only scored four. They should have had four last night!

Everyone getting away from them though. Been looking for a while like it's three from four and Burnley have danced this dance many times.

Well they do have quite the collection of crap strikers so it's not surprising they're not great infront of goal. Couple that with a shit goal keeper and you have a team in trouble.