Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

They (Brighton) might beat us in a one off game but since being promoted they haven't been that great, in their two seasons in the premier league they've finished 17th with 36 points and then 15th with 41 points, and are currently struggling again. So whilst that's not bad, I don't quite get some of the reverential regards that some nonchalantly bestow on them, they're in essence a team that constantly struggles.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

After us Brighton play Liverpool, Southampton (no other club besides Man City and Liverpool have taken more points in the last year), and Leicester. So they will see tomorrow's game as a must win, we can't afford any complacency if we're to stop them.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

West Brom got Man. United away and Fulham at home to Everton so can't see those two picking up much.

Feels like the weekend where Burnley and Sheffield have to get their seasons up and running but Palace and West Ham as their home games aren't the easiest to play.

On 14/11/2020 at 17:31, useless said:

People keep talking about what a good side Brighton are but they're down there for a reason and they were down there last season as well. Over the last 38 league games they've taken around 40 points which is just about survival form, but they don't deserve some of the hype that some seem to give them. That's not to say I don't think they can beat us, we can lose to anyone if we're not at our best, but they do seem to have become overrated for some unable to be explained or accounted for reason.

It’s not that it’s unabled to be explained, it’s very explainable, they rank in the top half amongst the top teams for stats you’d want your team to be ranked in, they have just been pretty unfortunate so far this season with luck not quite on their side. They play good football, have some cracking players, Lamptey is outstanding. Maybe Maupay is letting them down a bit currently, if they had Ollie Watkins for example they would be higher up the table. 

• Like 1

Where they're ranked for stats doesn't matter if it has no bearings on where they rank in the actual league table, and maybe they have been unlucky this season, but people were overrating them before the season even started, but the reality really doesn't match the hype, they're a team who's average place since promotion has been hovering just above the relegation places, the way some talk about them you'd think they'd come up and done a Wolves.

It was the same with their signings in the summer, every time they signed someone there were those that went on about how amazing their transfer policy is and how we should be trying to emulate it.

5 hours ago, useless said:

Where they're ranked for stats doesn't matter if it has no bearings on where they rank in the actual league table, and maybe they have been unlucky this season, but people were overrating them before the season even started, but the reality really doesn't match the hype, they're a team who's average place since promotion has been hovering just above the relegation places, the way some talk about them you'd think they'd come up and done a Wolves.

It was the same with their signings in the summer, every time they signed someone there were those that went on about how amazing their transfer policy is and how we should be trying to emulate it.

I'm glad we signed Barkley and Watkins and not Lallana and Welbeck (I know this is going to come back to bite me). If you go on their forums they are really jealous that we've made signings that are just out of their league, frankly. They're a decent side who try to play the right way, but they're nothing to great. We more than held our own against them last season, she we were much weaker then.

On 13/11/2020 at 11:07, TheStagMan said:

What on earth has happened to Sheffield United this season. They are having a terrible start - I would have expected them to be mid table at least after last year's performance. 

It’s called being a one season wonder. They are a team with a lot of championship standard side with a couple of exceptions like Berge. What they had was a really hard working team that were incredibly well drilled by an excellent manager but good premier league teams work out how to deal with that fairly quickly and you can see the result of that since just before the lock down as they have hardly got a point since then. 

it’s typical lazy pundits going oh Sheffield Utd did well last season they will do that again for sure next season. It doesn’t take into account the actual reality of the squad quality or what players other teams have signed like us for example.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 12:03, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think it's time for Burnley to go, they've been stinking out the league and doing nothing for too long.

Last year they had a run of fixtures on paper and looked likely to be in trouble but they got some great results, how long an they continue to overachieve?

Sheff. Utd have a little money to spend (i think) so they may get desperate and buy in January.

Fulham and West Brom are surely gone...?

Brighton are too good to be relegated (and I like Potter).

Maybe Leeds will be bottom-half but they will get the wins when necessary to avoid trouble.

Newcastle have a goal-scorer now so should be ok too.

Don’t underestimate how poor Leeds are they are starting to get hammered by sides now that teams have figured out that they are not that good(apart from us🤬). I thought Leeds might need 20+ points by Christmas because I think they will get worse and worse through the season as they get injuries and the burn out that Bielsa teams get after halfway through the season. It wouldn’t surprise me if Leeds are right down there although I think the poor start from other teams down there will probably save them.

19 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Don’t underestimate how poor Leeds are they are starting to get hammered by sides now that teams have figured out that they are not that good(apart from us🤬). I thought Leeds might need 20+ points by Christmas because I think they will get worse and worse through the season as they get injuries and the burn out that Bielsa teams get after halfway through the season. It wouldn’t surprise me if Leeds are right down there although I think the poor start from other teams down there will probably save them.

I don’t think that’s fair. The score against Palace was a bit harsh. Especially with the Bamford disallowed goal which changed the game. They have got a horrific injury list too. If we had the equivalent injuries we would be a mess.

10 hours ago, useless said:

I’ve got to agree with this bit.

I remember they signed that player from Ajax (Veltmenn?) for less than a quarter of a million and loads of fans (our included) were saying what a great signing it was. Then I read a few opinions from some Ajax fans who said he’s incredibly slow, and that being in one of the top teams in the league really benefitted his playing style.

I think he’s only come into the team since Dunk was suspended a few weeks ago. Hardly a £2m McGinn bargain really. More of a Bacuna in terms of value.

4 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

It’s called being a one season wonder. They are a team with a lot of championship standard side with a couple of exceptions like Berge. What they had was a really hard working team that were incredibly well drilled by an excellent manager but good premier league teams work out how to deal with that fairly quickly and you can see the result of that since just before the lock down as they have hardly got a point since then. 

it’s typical lazy pundits going oh Sheffield Utd did well last season they will do that again for sure next season. It doesn’t take into account the actual reality of the squad quality or what players other teams have signed like us for example.

I actually thought they'd strengthed o.k in the summer, Amapadu is a very talented young player imo I'd have been o.k getting in but I think he's a better DM yet they've been playing him in their back 3 for most of what I've seen.

Was impressed with Bogle when he was at Derby but don't think he's even played for them yet and Brewster hasn't hit the ground running which is a concern although non scoring strikers didn't hurt them much last year.

Just shows the fine margins sometimes. They got a couple of early 1-0s last year and kicked on. This time they lost 1-0 to us and also lost O'Connell to season ending injury. Ramsdale in goal is massive downgrade on what they had there last season aswell imo.

Dosen't take many 1-0 wins turning into draws and the odd defeat for everything to change. 46 points is a comfortable mid table season, 36 points is scrapping to stay up on the final day of the season.

21 hours ago, useless said:

After us Brighton play Liverpool, Southampton (no other club besides Man City and Liverpool have taken more points in the last year), and Leicester. So they will see tomorrow's game as a must win, we can't afford any complacency if we're to stop them.

They certainly played that way today 

Today's result showed that some of our fans and maybe some of those at the club need to remember that despite what had been a good start we aren't suddenly a team that should be challenging top six and beating the so called lesser teams, that's three out of the last four games that we've lost now, so need to lose some of the arrogance that's been creeping in as if we've made it after a few good results at the start of the season. Need to be up for every game, we're not good enough to deem any fixture as easy.

Brighton will probably go on another winless run now, they'll get the odd result like today, but don't think they'll finish any higher than lower midtable, which is round about where we could end up finishing. Just have to hope that a couple of teams from the bottom four don't suddenly have a upturn in form, they all play twice before we play again, so we could be a lot closer to the bottom three by the time we face West Ham.