Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

On 22/11/2020 at 16:03, useless said:

Might not be long before the first managerial sacking, Sheffield Utd owners must all be wondering if they need to make a change.

Cant see wilder getting sacked. He did amazing last year to keep them up. This is their true level  

No wins in nine, and just one point, I think any manager is in danger of the sack with that record, especially with the money they've spent. Last season they over achieved, but this season they're under achieving.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There are one or two on here that would love to see him replace our Dean.

When they get relegated this season it will be interesting to see how he does back down in the championship. The momentum he had will be long gone. 

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No he was last season manager on here, season before that was Rafa. They have moved onto Bielsa now. Next season it will be somebody like Tony Mowbray or Michael O'Neill

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have never seen anyone say that, I think you are dreaming.

just because it was mooted how good he did last season,(and the seasons leading up to promotion) does not compute to your reasoning.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

wilder never bought qauality just championship players

They needed to open the bank and buy Henderson, instead they over paid for Ramsdale and Brewster

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Taken the posters down for good TRO? 

I have always wanted him to do well.....just like all our managers.

but i will always say it, like I see it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gurru991 said:

They needed to open the bank and buy Henderson, instead they over paid for Ramsdale and Brewster

Prudent recruitment really is the holy grail to success.....always has been.

I look at Southampton and Leicester with an envious eye, they do seem to spot reasonably priced talent on a fairly consistent basis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I look at Southampton and Leicester with an envious eye, they do seem to spot reasonably priced talent on a fairly consistent basis.

It certainly is, but Leicester have had Slimani, Adrien Silva and Ahmed Musa just off the top of my head and for big money too. Beckford too but that's going back a bit.

I can't really think of many from Southampton, that Carillo lad who cost 19 million and never scored but other than that they seem to always do well.

I do also think that we're turning the corner in that respect now. A lot of our recent transfers have been more hit than miss.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I 100% agree. Recruitment is the most important & probably the most difficult facet of club management. All clubs will have failures, that is just the nature of the beast. Leicester made mistakes but appear to have learned from them.

I think that Ollie Watkins is a wonderful piece of business for you guys, young talented and with a great upside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

It certainly is, but Leicester have had Slimani, Adrien Silva and Ahmed Musa just off the top of my head and for big money too. Beckford too but that's going back a bit.

I can't really think of many from Southampton, that Carillo lad who cost 19 million and never scored but other than that they seem to always do well.

I do also think that we're turning the corner in that respect now. A lot of our recent transfers have been more hit than miss.

If you take a double table of Reported Squad Value v Current league position......Southampton ,Leicester and Crystal Palace are the best performing clubs, to be fair we are not far behind Leicester and Crystal Palace..... we are at least out perfoming our investment, which is good.....its just a guide, but a fair indication of our current performance in recruitment.....we are currently 10th in the most expensive squad, in the Prem.

Our recruitment does seem to have turned a corner in the last 2 seasons, yes.....we just need to sustain it.....because we need further strengthening.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Leicester certainly made some expensive mistakes but their successes far outweigh their failures. European teams play a different style of football to the premier league & clubs have to take that into consideration. Silva & Slimani looked like world beaters in Portugal but were way too slow and lightweight in the prem. I think we have seen similar scenarios with Villa as well. When you bring in Watkins & Berkley you know they can play on a cold rainy night in Burnley while getting kicked all night long.

Edited by gurru991
  • Like 1

Teams like Southampton, Leicester, West Ham and Palace are established Premier League teams. Each season they can add a few players to an already good team.

We’ve had to pretty much build a team and a squad from scratch. From the team that started on Saturday only 2 were at the club at the start of last summer.  All this whilst ensuring the wage bill complies with a championship season of revenue as part of the FFP spending.

Considering where we were and where we are now I’d say both the recruitment team and coaching staff have done an incredible job.

Of course they have been fully backed by the owners too. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Southampton had a bad period after Koeman went. Carrillo as you mentioned. Also signed Elynoussi, Wesley Hoedt and Lemina for about 50m combined and all 3 are getting loaned out until contracts end. Also signed Angus Gunn for 15m and he's now at Stoke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Southampton had a bad period after Koeman went. Carrillo as you mentioned. Also signed Elynoussi, Wesley Hoedt and Lemina for about 50m combined and all 3 are getting loaned out until contracts end. Also signed Angus Gunn for 15m and he's now at Stoke.

Sofiane boufal £17m - released to angers on a free a couple of years later.

Manolo gabbiadini £16m - terrible signing.

But apart from those 7 players for over £100m, fantastic recruitment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Leicester -

£30m Ayoze Perez (very average player, none of the fans want him playing)

£13m Filip Benkovic (who?)

£12m rachid ghezzal (who?)

£22.5m Adrien (did he even play?)

£13.5 Vicente Iborra (who?)

£25m iheanacho - Is he a success? I wouldn't? When Vardy goes, they are still going to need to spend big on a striker.

£28m Slimani - terrible signing

£17.5m Ahmed Musa - terrible signing.

£160m in 4 years on players that have barely played, have left, not good enough. But yeah, Leicester have fantastic recruitment. 

Any other clubs other than Southampton or Leicester have such fantastic recruitment that they can spunk over £100m on players that barely play?

If we had spent this kind of money on players that completely fail last summer... We certainly wouldn't have been able to stay up. I'd say, given what we've done, that recruitment in the last couple of years has been amongst the best in the prem.

• Like 1