Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

18 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think Burnley will shithouse together enough points to stay up sadly. It might be around 30 to stay up this year

I don't mind them stepping up, I just want that not to be in our expense with us losing to them. I think for now I'll be happy if those teams started drawing and making top half teams dropping points. As long as we're doing good I'll look up more than down.

• Like 1

Both Burnley and Sheffield United could potentially put together a run of form, they're two sides that finished last season on 54 points after all, so they've both shown that they're capable in this league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What on earth has happened to Sheffield United this season. They are having a terrible start - I would have expected them to be mid table at least after last year's performance. 

Its more of a case of them over performing last season. Funny what confidence can do!

Most of their players are championship level.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

What on earth has happened to Sheffield United this season. They are having a terrible start - I would have expected them to be mid table at least after last year's performance. 

Losing Henderson was a disaster for them.

We should know how important a reliable number 1 is.

• Like 1

Sheff Utd fan I know says they've simply been figured out this year and that they are playing very similar to last season. 

I think this year could be an all time low for points to stay up.  34pts is the record (WBA).

4th from bottom is currently tracking at 19pts... 

• Like 1

I think it's time for Burnley to go, they've been stinking out the league and doing nothing for too long.

Last year they had a run of fixtures on paper and looked likely to be in trouble but they got some great results, how long an they continue to overachieve?

Sheff. Utd have a little money to spend (i think) so they may get desperate and buy in January.

Fulham and West Brom are surely gone...?

Brighton are too good to be relegated (and I like Potter).

Maybe Leeds will be bottom-half but they will get the wins when necessary to avoid trouble.

Newcastle have a goal-scorer now so should be ok too.

12 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

Sheff Utd fan I know says they've simply been figured out this year and that they are playing very similar to last season. 

I think this year could be an all time low for points to stay up.  34pts is the record (WBA).

this is a regular thing teams often get promoted snd are new to a league or they try something different like Sheffield did with overlapping centre backs or whatever they called them, however premier league coaches and analysts soon get to work and combat the ‘newness’ it then goes down to the players and their combined abilities, the lesser teams then get found out .

1 hour ago, The Rosk said:

Doesn't this get said every year and mostly teams manage to sneak a few wins here and there.  We're only a few games in - those at the bottom all have to play each other - I imagine it will end up pretty similar to most years come season end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I expected them to fight in a relegation battle, however they had a hard fixtures to be honest. 
I think once the start with a win they’ll start picking up some points. Will that be enough or not, that's another case. But it doesn’t seem that teams around them are picking points anyway.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think it's time for Burnley to go, they've been stinking out the league and doing nothing for too long.

Last year they had a run of fixtures on paper and looked likely to be in trouble but they got some great results, how long an they continue to overachieve?

nothing personal against them  but i agree, they've been treading water for so long taking up the place of a championship team that given the chance would make a proper go of it. personally i think they're done this season. feel bad for dyche though. i'd like him to get another prem job after this with owners that have a bit of ambition

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enda said:

No chance. Definitely read here that Callum Wilson was trash and a Championship at best player.

To be honest he’s not bad, it’s just his wages, age and our build up for future is whats make his signing unpopular. We didn’t know we’d do this well so far, our main plan was to improve and success. Anyway we gladly got Watkins who seems better and have more potential than Wilson.

The relegation battle this season will be the most pathetic ever. Newcastle is absolutely horrendous and they will comfortably stay up.

By how this are going at the moment it wouldn't surprise me one bit if 25-30 points would be enough.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The relegation battle this season will be the most pathetic ever. Newcastle is absolutely horrendous and they will comfortably stay up.

By how this are going at the moment it wouldn't surprise me one bit if 25-30 points would be enough.

Bournemouth went down last season while having 11 points at this stage. It’s still too early as I think Sheff Utd, Burnley can hit a run. If Fulham and the Scum were too far adrift I’d say it’s hard for them to catchup, but they’re in touch and everything could happen. 
Newcastle seem to have more quality than last season, but I won’t be surprised if they and Leeds went in bad runs what can happen. 
Brighton are quality but they don’t get results. I fear that their result comes against us, but hopefully we put them to the sword. 
It’s strange now, usually I’d cheer for Chelsea to keep Newcastle down the table, now we’re looking upwards and actually looking at top team wanting them to lose points! 
Who’s to believe last season that we’ll look at Liverpool results and wanting them to lose points for us to catchup? Or Man Utd, Arsenal and City for us to try and put a gap with them? quite interesting. 
So that no one conclude anything, it’s not me saying we’re a real contender for the title or even Europe. Still early days, but we look at what infront of us. We missed a chance of being uptop after losing to Leeds. If we’re in touch we could be uptop for a day or so which hasn’t even happened while we’re in the Championship.

People keep talking about what a good side Brighton are but they're down there for a reason and they were down there last season as well. Over the last 38 league games they've taken around 40 points which is just about survival form, but they don't deserve some of the hype that some seem to give them. That's not to say I don't think they can beat us, we can lose to anyone if we're not at our best, but they do seem to have become overrated for some unable to be explained or accounted for reason.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, useless said:

People keep talking about what a good side Brighton are but they're down there for a reason and they were down there last season as well. Over the last 38 league games they've taken around 40 points which is just about survival form, but they don't deserve some of the hype that some seem to give them. That's not to say I don't think they can beat us, we can lose to anyone if we're not at our best, but they do seem to have become overrated for some unable to be explained or accounted for reason.

It’s their way of playing, the amount of chances they miss is huge. You could say they have an issue with goals, but you can’t say that one game in every couple of games they’ll have luck on their side and score for fun. They have a long term issue but they could do a lot. Leeds for example lost all of their games apart from us where they smashed us. Most of us thought it would be a hard game. For those games, if we scored first we could have fun, otherwise we might face a nightmare.