Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

11 hours ago, Mjvilla said:
13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Southampton had a bad period after Koeman went. Carrillo as you mentioned. Also signed Elynoussi, Wesley Hoedt and Lemina for about 50m combined and all 3 are getting loaned out until contracts end. Also signed Angus Gunn for 15m and he's now at Stoke.

Sofiane boufal £17m - released to angers on a free a couple of years later.

Manolo gabbiadini £16m - terrible signing.

But apart from those 7 players for over £100m, fantastic recruitment.

Cheers. I couldn't remember them any of these off the top of my head but I knew they couldn't be nailing every transfer.

If Burnley manage to find some form and go on a decent run which they tend to do every season the relegation places may be over and dusted sooner than expected. It's already a 7 point gap from 15th to 18th

Edited by villalad21

7 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Leicester -

£30m Ayoze Perez (very average player, none of the fans want him playing)

£13m Filip Benkovic (who?)

£12m rachid ghezzal (who?)

£22.5m Adrien (did he even play?)

£13.5 Vicente Iborra (who?)

£25m iheanacho - Is he a success? I wouldn't? When Vardy goes, they are still going to need to spend big on a striker.

£28m Slimani - terrible signing

£17.5m Ahmed Musa - terrible signing.

£160m in 4 years on players that have barely played, have left, not good enough. But yeah, Leicester have fantastic recruitment. 

Any other clubs other than Southampton or Leicester have such fantastic recruitment that they can spunk over £100m on players that barely play?

If we had spent this kind of money on players that completely fail last summer... We certainly wouldn't have been able to stay up. I'd say, given what we've done, that recruitment in the last couple of years has been amongst the best in the prem.

How many signings since last summer can we say were a bust?

Drinkwater

Samatta

Hause maybe?

I'm struggling to think of anyone else. All the other signings are key players in our squad right now. In fact, Jack and John (and Mings, but we signed him permanently last summer) are the only players in our starting XI from the promotion season. That's 200m spent in those 3 windows, with about 13m looking to have been a waste. Not bad. If we were another team in the PL, people on here wouldn't stop talking about our recruitment.

On 25/11/2020 at 18:44, gurru991 said:

Leicester certainly made some expensive mistakes but their successes far outweigh their failures. European teams play a different style of football to the premier league & clubs have to take that into consideration. Silva & Slimani looked like world beaters in Portugal but were way too slow and lightweight in the prem. I think we have seen similar scenarios with Villa as well. When you bring in Watkins & Berkley you know they can play on a cold rainy night in Burnley while getting kicked all night long.

good point.

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Drinkwater

Samatta

Hause maybe?

I'm struggling to think of anyone else. All the other signings are key players in our squad right now. In fact, Jack and John (and Mings, but we signed him permanently last summer) are the only players in our starting XI from the promotion season. That's 200m spent in those 3 windows, with about 13m looking to have been a waste. Not bad. If we were another team in the PL, people on here wouldn't stop talking about our recruitment.

hause is definitely not a bust...3m for who is our current 3rd choice CB is a bargain

so, this is last season versus this season in terms of points progress.

So basically, it took us until game week 19 last season, to surpass our current points (15) tally (after 8 games).

if we had the same points tally this season after game week 8, as we did last season (8 points), we would currently be in 16th position.

AV PT.jpg

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Start good but recent form poor.

Psychologically important game West Ham.

Don't want to enter the looking glass and for our recent form to become the mirror reverse of our good start, one win in five and especically four defeats in five will be worrying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

so, this is last season versus this season in terms of points progress.

So basically, it took us until game week 19 last season, to surpass our current points (15) tally (after 8 games).

if we had the same points tally this season after game week 8, as we did last season (8 points), we would currently be in 16th position.

AV PT.jpg

Love this. Keep tracking that. Great to see 

On 26/11/2020 at 17:34, Keyblade said:

Drinkwater

Samatta

Hause maybe?

Hause was only about 3m which really is like a nominal fee now in premier league. As back up that's alright in my book as long as he's not starting 20 games a season!

Probably disappoinment is Nakamba, 12m and just kicking around as back up when some were talking him up as potential of Kante.

I still look at it as anything below 10m is more squad filler for us (Hause, Engels, Gulibert etc) but anything above that should be someone who can come in and improve first 11 as we've seen with Martinez and Cash in that 15m range so Nakamba not reached that level.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hause was only about 3m which really is like a nominal fee now in premier league. As back up that's alright in my book as long as he's not starting 20 games a season!

Probably disappoinment is Nakamba, 12m and just kicking around as back up when some were talking him up as potential of Kante.

I still look at it as anything below 10m is more squad filler for us (Hause, Engels, Gulibert etc) but anything above that should be someone who can come in and improve first 11 as we've seen with Martinez and Cash in that 15m range so Nakamba not reached that level.

Unlucky for him that Douglas has locked down that DM spot. I imagine he would have seen a similar renaissance had he played in this more settled side.

47 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Unlucky for him that Douglas has locked down that DM spot. I imagine he would have seen a similar renaissance had he played in this more settled side.

Not convinced. Dosen't read the game at all well compared to Doug and his passing range obviously not near that level.

Given our home troubles though I wouldn't be against bringing him in to a double pivot as we really need to make it a bit harder for opposition to break through our lines. That said not sure any of Newcastle, Burnley or Palace will do that much so imagine DS will keep the shape as it is until 2021 hits.

Next three  for the bottom four after today are:

• Sheff Utd - Leicester, Southampton, Man Utd
  • WBA - Palace, Newcastle, Man City
  • Fulham - Leicester, Man City, Liverpool
  • Burnley - Everton, Arsenal, Villa

I can genuinely see those four teams getting no more than four to seven points between them from those twelve games - if it's four, then I think they'll be the only teams still in the relegation fight at Christmas.

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can genuinely see those four teams getting no more than four to seven points between them from those four games - if it's four, then I think they'll be the only teams still in the relegation fight at Christmas.

I think Leeds are going to be pretty fortunate this year that there are some god awful teams down there. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can genuinely see those four teams getting no more than four to seven points between them from those four games - if it's four, then I think they'll be the only teams still in the relegation fight at Christmas.

I think West Brom have improved a bit in last few weeks, they've only lost to Man. United and West Brom by a goal each and had chances in both to take the lead. If they have any hope of staying they have to win tonight and then get probably another win from either Palace or Newcastle which I wouldn't say is impossible.

Will be interesting watch tonight. Can't really see the logic of West Brom-Sheffield just playing out a tame draw even at this early stage of the season as they're hardly got any points on the board. Both have to go all out for the win.

Edited by VillaChris

Albion failing to win would be the best result for us, if that happens then as long as Leicester can beat Fulham tomorrow then we'll stay eleven points clear of safety no matter what happens on Monday, albeit I do believe that we need to get something from that regard less of what happens elsewhere.