England v Wales/England v Belgium/England v Denmark

andykeenan

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Did we?

Yes, especially in the second half.

Come off it, I really don't think you'd be having trouble seeing this if we were talking about a Villa game. We limited them to few clear-cut chances, and created more ourselves. By the second half, we had a better-organised defensive shape, and Walker in particular played really well.

Would I have picked those exact players in that exact formation? Probably not. Do I like seeing Eric Dier in an England shirt? No. Did we defend well against a Belgium side stacked with attacking talent, so much so that De Bruyne came off looking thoroughly frustrated? Yes.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Come off it, I really don't think you'd be having trouble seeing this if we were talking about a Villa game. We limited them to few clear-cut chances, and created more ourselves. By the second half, we had a better-organised defensive shape, and Walker in particular played really well.

Would I have picked those exact players in that exact formation? Probably not. Do I like seeing Eric Dier in an England shirt? No. Did we defend well against a Belgium side stacked with attacking talent, so much so that De Bruyne came off looking thoroughly frustrated? Yes.

Lukaku showed today why Chelsea and Man Utd shifted him on, brilliant for 15 minutes and then shocking for remainder. KDB created a few very good chances which should have been taken.

Dier instead of Coady or Mings.............Rice and Henderson, 3 RBs in the starting 11.

Like everyone I will take the win but was it a penalty and the deflection could have ended up anywhere. At 1-1 Southgate decided to swap Henderson for Philips, would we be happy as Villa fans if Dean did this?

Philips , James, Kane and Sancho for 3 minutes..........

The only plus is that Jack and Tyronne were rested.

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Or, just maybe, we defended quite well and made them look poor?

Is the right answer

I thought we played the game we wanted to play and with a slice of luck won it, we were poor Belgium were poor but that's because we put them in the mud

A long term this is what we should do how we should play thing though still a big no no 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I hated the team he picked but its hard to be too critical when we've just beaten the world no.1 

I don’t find it difficult to be critical it was the wrong selection for about half the team

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is the right answer

I thought we played the game we wanted to play and with a slice of luck won it, we were poor Belgium were poor but that's because we put them in the mud

A long term this is what we should do how we should play thing though still a big no no 

Edit: there's a fair few on here who don't rate him, that's another game where "best team in the world" the manager doesn't earn that tag

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Dier instead of Coady or Mings.............Rice and Henderson, 3 RBs in the starting 11.

Like everyone I will take the win but was it a penalty and the deflection could have ended up anywhere. At 1-1 Southgate decided to swap Henderson for Philips, would we be happy as Villa fans if Dean did this?

Philips , James, Kane and Sancho for 3 minutes..........

The only plus is that Jack and Tyronne were rested.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t find it difficult to be critical it was the wrong selection for about half the team

No PL team wants any of their players to have played 270 minutes of international football when there's a full slate of fixtures next weekend. It was always going to be the case that the players got rotated in an attempt to roughly even out the minutes. I imagine Southgate has broadly tried to pick his 'strongest' team for this fixture, though obviously his best team wouldn't involve three right-backs. He has clearly been hamstrung slightly by needing to drop Chilwell for being an idiot, and he would probably have played tonight. I am going to go ahead and guess that if you work out the players who have played fewest minutes across the two games so far, that will be a pretty good guide to the starting eleven against Denmark (?).

TL, DR - we aren't going to get our single, perfectly balanced first choice XI when we have to play 3 games in 7 days.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

De Bruyne came off injured.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

An England win which I've struggled to stay awake throughout.

Agreed I fell asleep because England are such a bore to watch.

Dont know what's worse watching a Southgate team or a Bruce team.

Â