England v Wales/England v Belgium/England v Denmark

andykeenan

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No PL team wants any of their players to have played 270 minutes of international football when there's a full slate of fixtures next weekend. It was always going to be the case that the players got rotated in an attempt to roughly even out the minutes. I imagine Southgate has broadly tried to pick his 'strongest' team for this fixture, though obviously his best team wouldn't involve three right-backs. He has clearly been hamstrung slightly by needing to drop Chilwell for being an idiot, and he would probably have played tonight. I am going to go ahead and guess that if you work out the players who have played fewest minutes across the two games so far, that will be a pretty good guide to the starting eleven against Denmark (?).

TL, DR - we aren't going to get our single, perfectly balanced first choice XI when we have to play 3 games in 7 days.

I think we could guess many of the changes he made to today's starting line up. I personally wouldn't have had Maguire, Dier, Rice and Walker in the starting eleven or Trippier at LB. I don't think we will see to many changes to the eleven that started today's game if I am honest. Maybe Kane up top, I just don't think Southgate will change it up that much. The formation he played today will mean that some of our better players on current form cannot be fitted in and I am including Jack in there. 4-3-3 would be a bit more offensive and allow us to take the game to the opposition but it does mean that Southgate might have to drop one of his right backs.

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Agreed I fell asleep because England are such a bore to watch.

Dont know what's worse watching a Southgate team or a Bruce team.

If I remember rightly Bruce once had us play with 3 rightbacks on the pitch so much of a muchness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

If I remember rightly Bruce once had us play with 3 rightbacks on the pitch so much of a muchness

Yes Cabbage was more worth the watch than a Southgate team, Three RBs on pitch is just way more exciting, you never knew what craziness Bruce would pick, just it was also a bore to watch Dino football.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I don't think we will see to many changes to the eleven that started today's game if I am honest. Maybe Kane up top, I just don't think Southgate will change it up that much.

I guess we will only know who is right when the teamsheet comes out 🙂

TBH, whoever the England manager is has an embarrassment of riches and depth at all positions besides goalkeeper and left back right now.  Southgate will get criticism for whoever he plays and when we don't destroy teams by at least 3-0 every game.  That said, his decisions are baffling and show he doesn't have a clue at what he's doing.  What he says in the press and what he does on the pitch are completely hypocritical and if he keeps this up, he'll lose the players soon.  

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Our players came home without injury thats good enough for me. As a distant second England also won two games. Southgate is a bad manager but in terms of the actual results I care about he is at 100%.

back to the important games with a healthy Grealish and Mings!

It's not over yet mate, one more game to go....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No PL team wants any of their players to have played 270 minutes of international football when there's a full slate of fixtures next weekend. It was always going to be the case that the players got rotated in an attempt to roughly even out the minutes. I imagine Southgate has broadly tried to pick his 'strongest' team for this fixture, though obviously his best team wouldn't involve three right-backs. He has clearly been hamstrung slightly by needing to drop Chilwell for being an idiot, and he would probably have played tonight. I am going to go ahead and guess that if you work out the players who have played fewest minutes across the two games so far, that will be a pretty good guide to the starting eleven against Denmark (?).

TL, DR - we aren't going to get our single, perfectly balanced first choice XI when we have to play 3 games in 7 days.

You aren’t going to play first choice in a friendly but the other two are tournament matches.

Having said that how does anyone defend playing 5 defenders and two defensive midfielders and one of your wide forwards isn’t a wide forward.

That extra defender should have been in the midfield.

31 minutes ago, KMitch said:

TBH, whoever the England manager is has an embarrassment of riches and depth at all positions besides goalkeeper and left back right now.  Southgate will get criticism for whoever he plays and when we don't destroy teams by at least 3-0 every game.  That said, his decisions are baffling and show he doesn't have a clue at what he's doing.  What he says in the press and what he does on the pitch are completely hypocritical and if he keeps this up, he'll lose the players soon.  

Left back and gk are too bad especially GK you can have pope or the Man Utd gk who’s name escapes me as I type this

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Left back and gk are too bad especially GK you can have pope or the Man Utd gk who’s name escapes me as I type this

Pope has been dodgy this season for Burnley, Everton just bought another GK on deadline day to compete with Pickford over the starting spot, and Henderson can't get a sniff in ManUre's team over DeGea, no matter how horrific he has played so far this season.  

59 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Pope has been dodgy this season for Burnley, Everton just bought another GK on deadline day to compete with Pickford over the starting spot, and Henderson can't get a sniff in ManUre's team over DeGea, no matter how horrific he has played so far this season.  

It’s not Henderson’s fault for OGS’s incompetence and we are 3 games into the season I don’t think we can write off Pope’s form over several years. Pickford’s form on the flip side has been awful for a couple of years.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

You aren’t going to play first choice in a friendly but the other two are tournament matches.

Having said that how does anyone defend playing 5 defenders and two defensive midfielders and one of your wide forwards isn’t a wide forward.

That extra defender should have been in the midfield.

Stop trying to outthink Gareth. His brain is so big it extends into his nose.

I understand that we're not going to go full strength for all 3 games, or even 1 of them

I also don't actually mind that he's being stubborn over the formation that he wants to use, I prefer that if he wants 5-2-3 (don't call it 3-4-3 because its not) then go with it*

what I do mind is he's then trying to shoe horn in his favourite players to suit what he wants to play - I would be very surprised if dier has ever played as the LCB in a 3 before in his life, after the Denmark game he came out and said mount was playing a role he'd never played before, in that game he had grealish on the right, he had ings as the right side of the front 3 vs wales, he has phillips as a holding midfielder rather than the role he plays for leeds, winks is deeper too, trippier at LB - that is my issue with him and where his line ups are utter bollocks

* the use of that formation is a different thing, its overly negative and boring as **** not utilising what we have but getting away with it because invariably the front 3 have goals in them

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I understand that we're not going to go full strength for all 3 games, or even 1 of them

I also don't actually mind that he's being stubborn over the formation that he wants to use, I prefer that if he wants 5-2-3 (don't call it 3-4-3 because its not) then go with it*

what I do mind is he's then trying to shoe horn in his favourite players to suit what he wants to play - I would be very surprised if dier has ever played as the LCB in a 3 before in his life, after the Denmark game he came out and said mount was playing a role he'd never played before, in that game he had grealish on the right, he had ings as the right side of the front 3 vs wales, he has phillips as a holding midfielder rather than the role he plays for leeds, winks is deeper too, trippier at LB - that is my issue with him and where his line ups are utter bollocks

* the use of that formation is a different thing, its overly negative and boring as **** not utilising what we have but getting away with it because invariably the front 3 have goals in them

Yeah, I think that's a much fairer criticism than much of the above, and about where I am.

Only minor quibble is that Trippier at LB was somewhat forced by Chilwell's antics; it's not going to be a repeated thing going forwards (I certainly hope not anyway!)

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I think that's a much fairer criticism than much of the above, and about where I am.

Only minor quibble is that Trippier at LB was somewhat forced by Chilwell's antics; it's not going to be a repeated thing going forwards (I certainly hope not anyway!)

Trippier played left back vs Denmark when Southgate refused to call up another left back

I am expecting Saka to start against Denmark, both because they are a weaker team than Belgium and because Trippier has started both games. If I am wrong about Saka starting, please feel free to throw my half-hearted defence of Southgate back in my face.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

tbf saka didn't look ready vs wales, he was ok don't get me wrong but it'll be going forward vs lesser teams that he shines (if he's allowed to get forward)

maybe but Matt Targett is available, Aaron Cresswell has been playing well recently and Ryan Bertrand has always been a reliable performer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

maybe but Matt Targett is available, Aaron Cresswell has been playing well recently and Ryan Bertrand has always been a reliable performer

To be honest, Trippier may be a better (international) left back than any of them. He was certainly one of our best three players yesterday.

Â