Pre-Match thread

BOF

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think if we have a thirst for work and pass and move like Leeds did, we can cause an upset.

Leeds showed a willingness to compete against Man City and upset their rhythm.......I hope we can can emulate that.

I think Leeds's performances is just borne out of repetitious, intense and detail specific type training that cognitively has just become locked in to anyone who makes their squad. They are probably the least surprised of everyone that they went toe to toe with Liverpool and City. They have absolute belief in how they play. Weren't at all phased about playing through City. They trust their proccess's and know what they are capable of. There is intelligence behind pressing and knowing when to etc. I don't think we are at Leeds's level of press ( not sure many are ) Liverpool could cut us to shreds if we just manically chase the ball. I've had this feeling all week though that Watkins will relish playing Van Dijk. I'm really looking forward to that. Score prediction. 2-0 Liverpool.

• Like 1

We could get some success tonight from been a bit more direct. Ollie can handle himself and even if he doesn't he makes life difficult for defenders who can't win it cleanly. Second balls, we need to be really quick to them. Pissing into the wind trying to play it on the ground through Liverpool. They are too good for us in that aspect. They're press is too good and break at speed.

I think one thing is for certain today...The ball will be zipping off the surface due to the weather which could make it interesting. Bearing that in mind I'd be looking for our midfield to be shooting at every opportunity. With Watkins concentrated on potential rebounds. I still think plop are far from in top gear yet regardless of their start. If we get at them I think we could get something out of this game, even if only a draw. It's a big if though. 

We need to shoot more often. For the first 15 minutes they're going to expect us to sit back. I say and I hope Dean Smith says go all out attack for the first 10-15 they won't expect it. As @OutByEaster? says it's a free hit rather than piss our pants and hold the 18 yard line get out there and enjoy the challenge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The ball over the top is always on and they won’t have Alisson to bail them out. We can score a few today. Only problem is they will probably do the same. It’s go the potential to be a cracker.

I think rugby style tactics of long ball in to the corners and try pinning them in will cause them some discomfort. Like Mike Catt used to do for England.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No Mane and Alisson.  We’re never going to get a better chance to get something out of a game against Liverpool. It’s just a shame we haven’t got a crowd. 

I thought we had a good chance in the same fixture last season when we were 1 nil up with 3 minutes to go....

• Sad 1

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
                     Luiz
         McGinn - Hourihane
      Trez - Watkins - Grealish

I reckon we won't change anything again for today. I'd personally get Barkley straight in because Hourihane will be absolute horse shit in this kind of match but I very highly doubt Smith will do that unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This one is a free hit - our season won't be about whether we beat Liverpool so we can approach it with a certain amount of fearlessness.

Ultimately I think they just have way too much for us, I think we'll take a 0-3 defeat.

This is how I feel too. It’s a completely free swing, it’s more about how we play than the outcome. There will be games this year, where we just won’t have quality across the 11 to get a result, but losing while giving them a fight and letting them know they have been in a competitive game won’t hurt our momentum or confidence. I just don’t want us to roll over for them.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This one is a free hit - our season won't be about whether we beat Liverpool so we can approach it with a certain amount of fearlessness.

Ultimately I think they just have way too much for us, I think we'll take a 0-3 defeat.

Blimey has Dean Smith logged on?

Just had a quick check and since start of 2018 season Liverpool have won 5 league away games by a 3 goal margin or more out of 40 so they really don't tend to trash teams much on the road.

I think we can get a draw, more so with key players like Mane and Allison missing.

Do think this is one home game where we'll miss the crowd though.

Edited by VillaChris