Pre-Match thread

BOF

On 01/10/2020 at 17:15, TRO said:

As long as we compete, stay in the game and let them know they've been in a game......I can't ask for much more.

A win would be delightful though.

We beat the Liverpool 5-1  once with a forward line of 20 year olds.......they was one of the best teams in Europe then.

anything is possible if we apply ourselves and believe.

• Like 3

OLLIE

JACK.         BARKLEY.       TRAORE

LUIZ.             SJM

TARGETT   MINGS. KONZA.  CASH

MARTINEZ 

No way this team gets overrun, Traore is a big game player and will relish this, Barkley would love to stick up them, he is fit, he is quality, throw them straight in.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 2

I don't think we can win, unless we improve our work off the ball....Leeds showed a high intensity and willingness to deny city time on the ball.....if we can replicate that, we have a real chance.

If we stand off....we will get done.

i think 4-3-3 is ambitious, however if the wingers funnel back it soon becomes 4-5-1

The back post is still my worry, we do have to be competent in defending it imo.

but fingers crossed.

UTV

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we can win, unless we improve our work off the ball....Leeds showed a high intensity and willingness to deny city time on the ball.....if we can replicate that, we have a real chance.

If we stand off....we will get done.

i think 4-3-3 is ambitious, however if the wingers funnel back it soon becomes 4-5-1

The back post is still my worry, we do have to be competent in defending it imo.

but fingers crossed.

UTV

My prediction is Targett getting in trouble.

Again.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

My prediction is Targett getting in trouble.

Again.

Lets put it this way.....if i was in their dressing room, thats who i would target, pardon the pun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lets put it this way.....if i was in their dressing room, thats who i would target, pardon the pun.

I cannot stand him. ( And don't get this twisted. Have nothing against him as a person)

And can't wait for us to replace him.

He is up against Trent Alexander Arnold today... If i was Dean i would seriously consider playing Taylor today. I don't rate either of them but Taylor can defend a tad bit better.

• Haha 1

Just now, myko said:

Not sure Smith will drop Hourihane after his last performance. Even if he’d like to for Barkley. Could do more harm than good in terms of the message it sends

Conor against a high intensity, high pressing Liverpool would get eaten alive.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Conor against a high intensity, high pressing Liverpool would get eaten alive.

I’m not saying he would play better than Barkley. I’m saying what I think Smith will do. 

Would be very surprised if Hourihane’s dropped.

8 minutes ago, myko said:

I’m not saying he would play better than Barkley. I’m saying what I think Smith will do. 

Would be very surprised if Hourihane’s dropped.

Same. Think there has to be an element of Barkley earning his place. Dropping Hourihane after a goal and assist could easily mess with team morale. 

I would like Barkley to start, but it's a tough thing to juggle as manager. 

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I cannot stand him. ( And don't get this twisted. Have nothing against him as a person)

And can't wait for us to replace him.

He is up against Trent Alexander Arnold today... If i was Dean i would seriously consider playing Taylor today. I don't rate either of them but Taylor can defend a tad bit better.

Dean talks in his interviews of the improvement in athleticism and I whole heartedly agree with him.....I think Matt Targett lacks just that.

watch him have a good game today.....I hope he does.

4 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I know it will be called negative but I can’t see a win at all.

Neither can I......but I will be looking for pockets of improvement.

I can't see us competing with their workrate.....I just hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

I think if we have a thirst for work and pass and move like Leeds did, we can cause an upset.

Leeds showed a willingness to compete against Man City and upset their rhythm.......I hope we can can emulate that.

10 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

OLLIE

JACK.         BARKLEY.       TRAORE

LUIZ.             SJM

TARGETT   MINGS. KONZA.  CASH

MARTINEZ 

No way this team gets overrun, Traore is a big game player and will relish this, Barkley would love to stick up them, he is fit, he is quality, throw them straight in.

this would be my team, but i think Trez will start in reality.

I cant see any dimension where Barkely doesnt start and Hourihane does, but who knows.....

21 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I know it will be called negative but I can’t see a win at all.

I'd be very very surprised to even get a draw, Liverpool are better than us individually and collectively.   They just don't concede shots, even in the Leeds game when they won 4-3 it was somewhat freakish in that everything Leeds hit went in.  I'd like to think Liverpool can be got at, but the evidence of their games this season suggests that our chances will be few and far between.  If we manage 5 shots on goal then were are doing better than Arsenal and Chelsea did.  We will need to be ruthless from set pieces today. 

• Like 2