Pre-Match thread

BOF

I think this is where we need to use the squad. I would make 2 changes Hause for Target and Davis for Trez. I would try Ollie wide right and Keinan in the middle.

Loads of Plop goals come through the fullbacks. I think the workrate of Cash and Ollie on the right, might negate some of the Robertson Sane threat. And I don't think any of out current left backs could stop TAA. 

The reason I chose Hause is, If a ball comes in from Robertson or Sane, I would rather have him there than Target defending a ball to the far post.. The other reason, I think we will have to defend a fair few set pieces/ corners, again I would rather him there.

There is also the plop press. plenty of teams get caught out by it. So I'm thinking from a clearance whether a goal kick or just ball in Emi's hand, push Hause up to near halfway and move Keinan over to the left, I would fancy their chances against TAA and Gomez to win a fair few balls, and if Jack is nearby, well. I'm not saying it will be a success, maybe nullifying some of their obvious advantages. Maybe they would have to draw a midfielder or two over there for protection.

The other thing is, our possession stats are likely to be lower than theirs. Which would suggest our chances on goal would be fewer. For corners and free kicks I would like to  see Mings, Ezri, Hause and Keinan all in the box. VVD can't mark them all, we would surely have a height advantage.

I know it's a bit Stoke but we are playing one of the best teams in Europe, I wouldn't suggest it for any other team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

They have been playing with a ridiculous high line and Leeds and Arsenal had lots of enjoy getting in behind. Hope Deano has been watching plenty of videos on how to exploit this. Signing an Evertonian before a home game against Liverpool was a masterstroke too and its time for Watkins to announce himself on the PL stage.

0-4 Plop

• Haha 2

Yeah it would be nice to win, but I’m not getting my hopes up too much. What I am doing though is looking forward to seeing how much we’ve improved against top opposition. We did okay against them last year, particularly in the home game. I’d like to see the same intensity again, really make the scousers work their knackers off if they want the points. I’d like to see a full game go by with no silly mistakes that lead to goals, like last year’s Villa were so fond of. 

I think that Watkins is capable of giving Van Dijk and Gomez a hard time, and we’re capable of breaking with speed and purpose. We’re much better defensively now so we do have the platform to play. It’ll be a good test and I’m hopeful of a good result. 

Hard to predict so I’ll go 2-2, which I’d be fairly happy with. 

As long as we compete, stay in the game and let them know they've been in a game......I can't ask for much more.

A win would be delightful though.

We beat the 5-1  once with a forward line of 20 year olds.......they was one of the best teams in Europe then.

anything is possible if we apply ourselves and believe.

• Like 2