Pre-Match thread

BOF

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Targett terrifies me this game.

Well he terrifies me against anyone, but Liverpool probably the best team in the world and they will skin him alive.

Have a little faith, in the past when Targett has come up against pacey players, he has a tendency to dive in too much. He just needs to learn to stand off the opposition winger and jockey them

No Mane and Thiago is a big bonus. Half a chance for us. Jota is a very capable replacement though, and I think Henderson has been passed fit to come back in too. 

Im really looking forward to seeing Barkley, McGinn, Grealish & Watkins in the same line up for the first time. Very promising on paper. 

• Like 1

Liverpool are going to win the league again I'm certain. That said we should be relatively chilled out having got the 6 points already and I can see us pushing them - but it will take one hell of a show from the back to get any result. It's possible though. 

Liverpool having Mane out is a big plus, he’s been doing the business for them almost singlehandedly for a few games. By no means their only threat, but he is the player who has popped up with the important goals more often than not recently. So definitely a bonus that he’s out.
I hope our back four have been practicing with the longer ball over to the wings, as I think that’s where you can get at this Liverpool team. You almost have to invite their press up the field, and have your defence try to match them up in terms of effort and intensity. Any dithering in your backline and they’ll punish you. But no doubt their fullbacks do offer you space behind them, and you must have pace and bravery to try and exploit that. We have more pace now. And in Luiz, Grealish, and Barkley we have players capable of picking out a defence splitting pass. 

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Free hit for us. Expecting a loss but anything else is a massive bonus, as long as we don't get absolutely battered I'll be okay with that I think.

It's quite funny, a couple of my mates who are massive Liverpool fans are actually not as confident going into tomorrow's game. Didn't think I would have ever seen a text like this 3 months ago.

Who would have thought, League champions worried about relegation survivors!

I think we're in with a shout of getting something from this and it seems insane to be thinking that will be the case.

27 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's quite funny, a couple of my mates who are massive Liverpool fans are actually not as confident going into tomorrow's game. Didn't think I would have ever seen a text like this 3 months ago.

Who would have thought, League champions worried about relegation survivors!

I think we're in with a shout of getting something from this and it seems insane to be thinking that will be the case.

Nah we shouldn't be thinking about getting anything from it, if we do then it'll be amazing but I doubt anyone is seriously thinking we'll get anything from the game. We should completely go for it shackles off, free hit and all that shizzle, but if Liverpool turn up (even without Thiago and Mane) then they are massive favourites.

we lost both games 2-1 last year didn't we? Ok, lot's of defending and holding on or failing to in those games, but we've improved and I expect us to compete well. We may lose, but a 3-0 tonking would be disappointing. 

Just want to see a side fight for their 100% record and their 0 goals conceded record like their lives depend on it. Of course we should lose but 11 players playing like men possessed can bring about a shock. Liverpool rarely have off days, we rarely have on days but it seems like being a funny season so why not. I think we actually played better at Anfield after lockdown than we did in the near win at Villa Park. Its not impossible to get something here.

On 29/09/2020 at 19:34, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Thiago is out after testing positive for Covid

shame Mane didnt see red for that elbow in the Arsenal game. Could have done with him being suspended as that git always rinses us :bang:

The Lord works in mysterious ways. 😉

• Like 1

Obviously they have an issue in camp with covid spreading , how dose it work ? do they submit the list of squad players with negative results to the fa on match day?

Genuine concern that we could have issue from this , if it is not done correctly

Edited by pete101

40 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Obviously they have an issue in camp with covid spreading , how dose it work ? do they submit the list of squad players with negative results to the fa on match day?

Genuine concern that we could have issue from this , if it is not done correctly

I get your point, but the concept of Liverpoo having 2 players test positive, and them not testing the rest of the squad endlessly and allowing them to infect another team is something even the PL can't get wrong, could they? With no fans, they need these games being on, and I'm sure if we lost players due to ineptitude like this, there would be lawyers involved.

On the same note; I'm checking twitter every 5 minutes expecting (hoping?) for the next one of theirs to fall ill. I think football makes me a bad person.

On 29/09/2020 at 19:34, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Thiago is out after testing positive for Covid

shame Mane didnt see red for that elbow in the Arsenal game. Could have done with him being suspended as that git always rinses us :bang:

You got your wish 😄

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

The city of Liverpool has a major covid problem at the moment. 

13 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The guys you mention are the ones that make them win. The ones I've pointed out stop them from losing. Interesting analysis on Mane and how many times he's won the ball back for them was more than some teams which is incredible in itself. 

I do agree they're a fantastic side. Effing bin dipping, shell suit wearing hub cap stealing rocket polishers.

Yes Mane is a great player 

Sunday's game at Villa Park will be a "top four" clash, with both teams currently having won all of their league games. Fourth placed Villa are three points behind their visitors, Liverpool with a game in hand. This could be an early 6-pointer, between two teams that currently occupy Champions League qualifying places!   

Liverpool have lost only once in their last 19 league visits to Villa Park (we have drawn five of these games), with Downing scoring the only goal of the game in our 2011 win. Overall, we have won 55 and have drawn 40 of the 184 league games, that have been played between the two clubs. 

Two very late goals gave our visitors all three points at Villa Park last season. We have won our last three league games at Villa Park and are unbeaten in our last six league games. I would be very happy if one of those two records, were still intact after this game and ecstatic if both of them were. It is high time that we won against the current league champions (I add that, because it doesn't often get a mention;)) at Villa Park. Just win it for us Villa!   

• Like 3