Pre-Match thread

BOF

On 02/10/2020 at 07:40, Phil Silvers said:

Do we make many changes for Sunday, or stick with last nights team.

Now Jota had gone, maybe bring Grealish in onto the bench? 

• Like 1

On 02/10/2020 at 10:46, Cizzler said:

This is just a dreadful opinion - so glad Smith will see it differently

Hause might be good in the air, but he’s utterly appalling in possession (even from CB where you have more time/space). Honestly, with Liverpool’s press we would concede possession every time he got the ball from LB. 

He’s not even good positionally at LB, Salah would tear him apart in the channel. Unfortunately Salah is just a world class player, his off the ball movement is a level above us. I agree Targett is poor defensively (slow, doesn’t stop the cross) but you can’t get points off Liverpool if they have the ball for 90 minutes. They are too good not to score.

Playing Davis is also bizarre. We will probably have 1/2 half-chances at best. As we saw vs. Stoke, if it falls to Davis he isn’t going to score it. He has attributes, but he’s just never going to be a clinical striker. Ollie works just as hard, has better off the ball movement and is more likely to finish a half-chance.

Switching out Trez is just strange as he is the best winger we have at tracking back to mark the opposing full-back’s over-lapping run? Everyone knows how Trent/Robertson are going to play.

Sorry to single you out, just massively disagree. It’s going to be an insanely hard game, and is not the chance to play two players in positions they barely play in.

I’d make one change from Fulham, Barkley in for Hourihane. Harsh on Connor who played well, but it’s a game we need our best XI starting. RB is match-fit and needs to play.

I have to admire your considered and well thought out response to that post which you have so diligently typed. 

I was tempted to just go with. 

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

On 01/10/2020 at 17:15, TRO said:

As long as we compete, stay in the game and let them know they've been in a game......I can't ask for much more.

A win would be delightful though.

We beat the 5-1  once with a forward line of 20 year olds.......they was one of the best teams in Europe then.

anything is possible if we apply ourselves and believe.

I would say that season we were probably one of the best teams in Europe as well

• Like 2

We'll almost certainly come away with nothing from this one, but I hope Smith uses it to drill us to defend well and keep our disciplined shape. We'll still 100 miles away from the top 4, but a well-drilled side that's hard to beat will nick a few points against the top 7. I expect Barkley to start, and Trez to keep his place on the wing. The rest of the team picks itself.

If the players can keep concentration levels up for a full 90 mins maybe we have a slim chance of nicking a draw or at least keeping the score line respectable , we can cause trouble for that extra high line they are playing this season .

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I would say that season we were probably one of the best teams in Europe as well

Yes that was an amazing first half of football. Little, Deehan and Gray up front tore them to bits. No tv there either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzvill 1965 said:

If Salah tests positive for second test again along with the other players out for the Bin dippers whats the betting the match is postponed 

If it comes to that I hope they are forced to forfeit. The schedule is way too packed this season for games to get postponed.

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith should phone Lambert.

He knows a thing or 2 about how to beat Liverpool.

Never ever lost at Anfield.

3 visits with Villa and 1 each with Norwich, Wolves and Stoke.  Also won there as a player with Celtic.

Just now, Daweii said:

If it comes to that I hope they are forced to forfeit. The schedule is way too packed this season for games to get postponed.

Exactly bud maybe im just been silly but dont trust the b...... S at the premier league they so far up the arses of the top for their looking for a light switch 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I think they will just have to play with what they have. If they had an injury crisis they wouldn't be forfeiting games because they couldn't pick a full strength team, so I would imagine the same precedent will happen here.

I think games would only be forfeited for safety reasons i.e. to protect the other club. But there isn't really a precedent for this, except perhaps the Orient vs Spurs game in the league cup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Game goes ahead as long as they have 14 or more players fit.

That's the FA ruling, but of course plop are above the law in every way

I would think it would be postponed. Salah was training with the team yesterday, so unless they can test everyone and find 14 who come back negative by tomorrow morning, there’s no way they would play.

Would rather have the match postponed than playing it and having half our squad come down with COVID next week.

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Game goes ahead as long as they have 14 or more players fit.

That's the FA ruling, but of course plop are above the law in every way

Ye for sure and so are the feckin Mancs cast your mind back to when they were in the world club championship or whatever its called now the Premier league clearings in the woods postponed a couple of games for them so their schedule wouldnt be stressfull the poor things what a load of bollox had that have been anyone else I've no doubt it would have been suck it up and get on with it