Pre-Match thread

BOF

1 hour ago, MadridVilla said:

I think they will just have to play with what they have. If they had an injury crisis they wouldn't be forfeiting games because they couldn't pick a full strength team, so I would imagine the same precedent will happen here.

I think games would only be forfeited for safety reasons i.e. to protect the other club. But there isn't really a precedent for this, except perhaps the Orient vs Spurs game in the league cup. 

Orient had to lose the television revenue and Spurs were given a bye into the next round. It was a cup ruling though and I doubt very much the same would be the case for a PL game. If Liverpool did have several players out, I can't see that they wouldn't be able to field some sort of team from their squad in any case. I can't see it coming to that though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes that was an amazing first half of football. Little, Deehan and Gray up front tore them to bits. No tv there either. 

If I remember correctly the cameras went to Derby and it was a 0-0 draw, that said it makes it even more folk law to have witnessed it. The other game that season that sticks out Is the four nil drubbing of the Albion on the last day of the season where Andy Gray got his hat-trick to level Malcolm Macdonald in the golden boot on 29 goals 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If I remember correctly the cameras went to Derby and it was a 0-0 draw, that said it makes it even more folk law to have witnessed it. The other game that season that sticks out Is the four nil drubbing of the Albion on the last day of the season where Andy Gray got his hat-trick to level Malcolm Macdonald in the golden boot on 29 goals 

Ipswich 5-2. Gray got a hatrick in that too. 5-1 against Arsenal stand out to me as well. Yes Derby were the atv favourites. 

That city draw is a bad result for us. Great opportunity for them to open a gap so early.

If we get no injuries and no one sent off I'll be pleased.

Will need something big from everyone. Hourihane surely needs to drop out.

I'm so excited to see the new look Villa starting XI and how we match up against the best team in the country currently. I can imagine some great moments of play here.

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

McGinn - Luiz - Barkley

Traore - Watkins - Grealish

VS

Mane - Firmino - Salah

Wijnaldum - Henderson - Keita

Robertson - van Dijk - Gomez - TAA

Alisson

I think the above Villa XI is the strongest we've seen since the final game of the 2010/11 season, which was against, Liverpool, and we won that game. So basically ten years.

Starting XI vs Liverpool 2010/11:

Friedel

Walker - Collins - Dunne - L. Young

A. Young - NRC - Petrov - Delph - Downing

Bent

• Like 4

We need to believe we can get something today. Be more like Leeds last night against city. This underlying belief that big teams just turn up and win needs removing from the game. I wouldn’t even take the draw I believe we can and will win. UTV

• Like 1

Fairly confident today and I'm looking forward to seeing how Smith sets up the team today.

Last season we ran Liverpool close by finding space in behind the full backs.

Liverpools left hand side is now severely weakened without Mane there as it will be disjointed, we are also a much more mobile unit with Watkins able to help out the wingers pulling wide when required.

It's essentially a free hit and I hope the lads really give it a go today.