Pre-Match thread

BOF

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

bbc comedy GIF

😅 Hahaha! Exactly! I totally nicked the "damn good thrashing" expression from this Basil Fawlty scene.

Right! That's it! I've warned you time and time again!

Edited by robby b
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, myko said:

Not sure Smith will drop Hourihane after his last performance. Even if he’d like to for Barkley. Could do more harm than good in terms of the message it sends

3 hours ago, blunther said:

Same. Think there has to be an element of Barkley earning his place. Dropping Hourihane after a goal and assist could easily mess with team morale. 

I would like Barkley to start, but it's a tough thing to juggle as manager. 

Obviously Smith will make the calls he sees fit, however the message has been sent already, we've signed Barkley so that the standards of contribution are raised each fixture.

The morale of the team will only benefit from those in it doing their utmost and best within the role they have to raise those around them to a level they haven't been at before.

Hourihane himself has benefitted greatly from this already, he's gone from a few seasons of standout performances in League One and the Championship to PL regular.

While Conor will hopefully be disappointed not to start, he's also in a position where he can raise the standards within the club by supporting Barkley's inclusion into the team.

Having a chip on his shoulder about someone coming in to compete and make the team better is not the kind of attitude that raised Conor from League One to the PL.

Same goes for Traore replacing Trez in the starting XI.

However I'm honestly not sure who Smith will play as there will be some big differences in the chemistry and dimensions of the team depending on selection.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Obviously Smith will make the calls he sees fit, however the message has been sent already, we've signed Barkley so that the standards of contribution are raised each fixture.

The morale of the team will only benefit from those in it doing their utmost and best within the role they have to raise those around them to a level they haven't been at before.

Hourihane himself has benefitted greatly from this already, he's gone from a few seasons of standout performances in League One and the Championship to PL regular.

While Conor will hopefully be disappointed not to start, he's also in a position where he can raise the standards within the club by supporting Barkley's inclusion into the team.

Having a chip on his shoulder about someone coming in to compete and make the team better is not the kind of attitude that raised Conor from League One to the PL.

Same goes for Traore replacing Trez in the starting XI.

However I'm honestly not sure who Smith will play as there will be some big differences in the chemistry and dimensions of the team depending on selection.

I agree and couldn't believe what I was reading in regard to team moral and playing Hourihane.

Barkley was signed because he is a better player than Hourihane plain and simple, most players in the team will understand this. It's the same reason the likes of Taylor, Hause are not first choice.

Villa need competition, if players are going to be upset by the challenge then they will move on and be replaced.

A fit Barkley starts over Hourihane every day for me! 

• Like 4

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Anyone getting butterflies. This has the feel of an important massive game for some reason,.

It's probably the least important game of our season. Its away to the best side in the league. This is a shot to nothing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Anyone getting butterflies. This has the feel of an important massive game for some reason,.

I'm really looking forward to it. No doubt it's a tough a test as you can get in world football right now, but I honestly wonder if we're en route to competing at that level.

Three hours til KO. I'm still on the Villa forum anticipating this game.. Better get some sleep. See you all in a few hours.

UTV!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's probably the least important game of our season. Its away to the best side in the league. This is a shot to nothing. 

I get the feeling it's being built up externally as an important game. I just want us to leave them with some bruises a cut lip maybe. Throw some punches rather than cowering in the corner. 

As long as they know they've been in a battle I'll be proud of them.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

It always is for me, my Mrs is a Liverpool supporter. Household bragging rights, them winning the league wasn’t great.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

It always is for me, my Mrs is a Liverpool supporter. Household bragging rights, them winning the league wasn’t great.

I'm the only Villa fan in our house. The rest are all Mancs and bin dippers.

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

3-0 Liverpool. Even with some of their players out they have good squad depth. 

Yeah I see a substantial loss for us. Whilst we have improved this season we are far behind the level of even top 6 - let alone matching Liverpool.