Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

my lineup:

Steer, Taylor, Hause, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, Lansbury, Ramsey, El Ghazi, Davis, Traore.

Bring Trez on after 55/60 mins to keep Traore fresh for Liverpool.

Think that's exactly what it will be, but with Elmo instead of Engels, who is either injured, out of favour or both (if he was ruled out with injury tonight, I doubt he'll be fit enough to start on Thursday).

The bench will be filled with first teamers for if those guys mess up, though maybe Jota will sneak on to remind the world of his existence before the transfer window closes.

Wonder if James Chester will play?

Same team as we put out against Bristol City methinks, same subs perhaps with inclusion of Grealish. As they spoke about on MNF tonight there maybe an increased chance of bagging a domestic cup win this season with clubs in Europe having to sacrifice something along the way and Stoke are no mugs.

May depend on how many changes they make.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Bristol have played 3 won 3 on the Championship and we saw them off fairly easily, Stoke have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 1 in the championship... we have to respect our opponents but I think we can win this one too.

It's really a matter of who they lineup. Bristol made 8 changes from their starting 11.

7 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

It's really a matter of who they lineup. Bristol made 8 changes from their starting 11.

But so did we, didn’t we make 11 changes? 
Im also assuming that Stoke played their strongest team in the league, and they still lost one and drew one, so a weaker team in the cup should hopefully be winnable for us.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No question play same team that beat Bristol with maybe 1-2 exceptions. If Traore is fit enough to play vs Liverpool play Trez in cup game and I'd rather play Hourihane vs Stoke and Ramsey vs Pool but don't think latter will happen

I Think we will need Trezeguet work rate and dogged defending against Liverpool 

• Like 1

I think we will field a similar side to the one that played Bristol City and that's the right call for me. Hopefully a similar kind of performance should see us through to the Quarter Finals and continue our good start to the season. 

I don't think it will be a formality and we shouldn't take these lightly, although their league form has been mixed, they've not conceded a goal in 5 of their 6 matches so obviously doing something right. They also beat Wolves in the second round.

Difficult to predict Stokes line-up but they have decent solid Championship players throughout their squad.

Our team then - Steer, Guilbert, Elmo, Hause, Taylor, Lansbury, Nakamba, Ramsey, Traore, Davis, El Ghazi. - Doesn't look the strongest on paper, the defense in particular does worry me, but hopefully players are really playing for their place in our Premier League squad and should be busting a gut.

I think 1 goal will settle it, possibly pens.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

No question play same team that beat Bristol with maybe 1-2 exceptions. If Traore is fit enough to play vs Liverpool play Trez in cup game

This would be my thinking too.  That's a perfect cup team other than dropping Traoré. Although I suspect Smith's reluctance to change winning formulas combined with Trez not doing anything wrong yet, plus Traoré's possible lack of match sharpness means we will play the Bristol team against Stoke and the Fulham team against Liverpool, and tbqh I can't argue against it.

Try more or less the same side as Bristol and see how we get on. At least playing so many league cup games in a short time it sharpens up the back up players as well. 

I think it might be good for the league cup if they tried to do something similar in a normal season if possible to get the early rounds out of the way and act almost as a pre season.

• Like 2