Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

25 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

after todays signing, i would play Barkley & Traore for 50/60 mins against stoke to help with fitness, then replace them with Hourihane & Trez, to ensure Barkley & traore are fresh to face Liverpool :P

Pretty sure Barkley's cup tied.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

after todays signing, i would play Barkley & Traore for 50/60 mins against stoke to help with fitness, then replace them with Hourihane & Trez, to ensure Barkley & traore are fresh to face Liverpool :P

Barkley is cup-tied. Which is a pity, as I think it would be a great opportunity for him.

• Thanks 1

Steer

Freddy, Elmo, Hause, Taylor

Hourihane/Jota, Nakamba, Ramsey

Traore, Davis, AEG

Bench will have Lansbury, Jack, McG, Jota/Hourihane, Watkins, Trez

I think Watkins and Jota will get some minutes. Watkins because he needs to get his confidence up and Jota because he looked sharp last time out.

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Steer

Freddy, Elmo, Hause, Taylor

Hourihane/Jota, Nakamba, Ramsey

Traore, Davis, AEG

Bench will have Lansbury, Jack, McG, Jota/Hourihane, Watkins, Trez

I think Watkins and Jota will get some minutes. Watkins because he needs to get his confidence up and Jota because he looked sharp last time out.

I don’t think Jota featured at all against Bristol City. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Jota featured at all against Bristol City. 

He wasn’t in the squad against Bristol. I was referring to his ‘last time out” which was against Burton 👍🏻

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Right so we still need clarification on Barkley and if he may be cup tied or not.

You would hope with all the positivity around Villa Park at the moment and 4 wins on the bounce we really should be winning this but it will be very easy to get it wrong, play a proper 2nd string vs a stoke full 11 we could easily lose this, you would think they can’t take the risk either to do this but good luck to Dean on the call for how many first teamers to include tonight, it could be crucial.

Edited by AVFCDAN

10 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'd rather we put a stronger side out, I wanna win this cup.

Me too, but it won't be easy with some good sides left in the competition.

Tottenham, Newcastle, Manchester City, Manchester Utd, Everton already through with either Liverpool/Arsenal, Brentford/Fulham and us or Stoke to make up the last 8.

Easiest route would be Brentford/Fulham in quarters, Newcastle in semi's and either Spurs/Everton in final?? Having said that we might be good enough to beat "the top 6 weakened sides" so what will be will be.

Anyway sorry, going slightly off topic. 

Hope we can get the job done tonight, even with a second string team - Would be great to maintain the momentum and feel good factor that is around the club going into Sunday's game.

• Like 1

Fourth placed Aston Villa (sounds good, doesn't it?) welcome 15th placed Championship side, Stoke City to Villa Park tonight. The winners will probably face a difficult quarter final tie prior to Christmas, given the clubs who already await the winners. Stoke have always seen this as very much a local derby and have often given us a rather "warm" welcome to the Potteries, in the past as I recall.

We last beat tonight's visitors at Villa Park in 2009, since then we have lost three times (in season 13/14, 14/15 & 15/16) and have drawn four times (most recently 2 years ago). Overall, we have won 51 and have drawn 32 of the 117 meetings, that there have been between the two clubs. The two clubs have met once previously in the League Cup, with Villa having won 3-1 at Villa Park, on that occasion in October 1962. 

We have won all six of our league and cup games, so far this season and are unbeaten in our last ten games. Our defence has also kept a clean sheet, in our last three matches. It would be a pity to see these runs come to an abrupt and an untimely end tonight. Win it for us Villa! :flag: